Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

Another noisy, windy night - that's two interrupted nights this week now but at least no damage and no power cuts!  Reading the south east thread makes me smile though - for once they get to experience weather conditions we get all the time - and they don't like it!  Somewhat breezy out there but otherwise a nice morning now - dry and clear but much better than the heavy rain we had late yesterday.  Maybe a couple of dry days ahead so that's good!

not likely dry - from beeb forecasts and euro4 - quite a few wintry/snow showers should be packing in over the next two days at least especially tonight into tomorrow - I feel so sorry for them in the south east lol

Posted

Our neighbour now has an unexpected pheasant hut blown across the field into his and its upsidedown looks like its damaged another one blown into a tree wrapping all over the place,these huts are not that small either.

Stormy night,dead spruce tree uprooted and fell on the fence here,more damage.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter
57 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Our neighbour now has an unexpected pheasant hut blown across the field into his and its upsidedown looks like its damaged another one blown into a tree wrapping all over the place,these huts are not that small either.

Stormy night,dead spruce tree uprooted and fell on the fence here,more damage.

Yes it was a stormy night and very noisy from about 1230 to 0230. Our next door neighbor lost a joining fence and various bits of garden furniture had gone a wandering. I also heard a few bins travelling up the road in the early hours, but there was little real damage. Cold now, this morning and it's been raining sleeting all day so far. Hopefully our elevation 208m might see a bit of whiteness over night :fool:

Posted

Yellow Warning of Ice for Wales : Wrexham, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Powys, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Vale of Glamorgan, Isle of Anglesey, Pembrokeshire, Swansea & Flintshire valid from 1900 Thu 18 Jan to 1000 Fri 19 Jan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Sleety showers at my level but just walked a wee dog through a blizzard with settling snow on the hill rim abov the village

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

yep - sleety/hail/snowy showers here too

Soft hail showers here now temp falling still no snow though. :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Looks dry tonight and tomorrow here with shower chances very low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
4 hours ago, EastAnglian said:

Soft hail showers here now temp falling still no snow though. :aggressive:

Soft hail is known as Graupel ;-)

Posted

Makes you laugh ' gets a ban for posting in the Mad thread as i posted the word FRACK ' I never even went the swear filter way ' then all of a silly sudden ' the English folk are arguing to each other ' but they never get a ban , . I am sticking to this thread only ' Also Paul needs to up his game and ban many members in there as there posts are not as bad as mine that i posted last night ' just of now to my night shift and cold out side ' and i am late ..

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Ukwoody said:

Soft hail is known as Graupel ;-)

It is known by both names the definition is "Graupel (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʁaʊpəl]; English: /ˈɡrpəl/), also called soft hail or snow pellets,[1] is precipitation that forms when supercooled water droplets are collected and freeze on falling snowflakes, forming 2–5 mm (0.08–0.20 in) balls of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language."

I prefer the term soft hail to the anglicised German word or snow pellets. Just a matter of personal preference. :)

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, andymusic said:

interesting possibilities for tonight

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 20.01.2018 12 GMT

If you think that looks good then you defo aint seen the icon yet!!gives snow widely wales and midlands pretty much throughout the day tomorrow!!

Posted
3 minutes ago, shaky said:

If you think that looks good then you defo aint seen the icon yet!!gives snow widely wales and midlands pretty much throughout the day tomorrow!!

beeb are underplaying this I should imagine then - sounds good to me - euro4 has to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway, they always under play the potential - yes and this mornings gfs has the front coming in tonight around midnight and then hanging around till 6pm sat - so yes real possibilities

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

interesting possibilities for tonight

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 20.01.2018 12 GMT

Latest run and that has pretty much disappeared the 6Z has none of it.

Posted

euro 4 totally backing off the snow potential for tonight - very weird, considering it's flippin bitingly cold in the wind out tonight, will have to catch up on the beeb forecasts as they were adamant that we were gonna get a little something out of this 1st front coming in tonight, i'll report back shortly lol

Posted

well the beeb are still going for snow tonight and into tomorrow for Wales, so no change, but the euro 4 doesn't want to know - be interesting to see what happens then

Posted

meto aren't really on board either putting the freezing level on of 500m - but Derek's forecast is about to go on air and he's talking rain/sleet/snow too

Posted

Confused - sort of lol - Derek is going for rain/sleet/snow then - snow for mid and north wales - but by the end of the weekend at least we can look forward to milder temps to give us a break from the cold - before the next shot of cold maybe in Feb

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

Confused - sort of lol - Derek is going for rain/sleet/snow then - snow for mid and north wales - but by the end of the weekend at least we can look forward to milder temps to give us a break from the cold - before the next shot of cold maybe in Feb

must be that front over SW Ireland approaching now on the radar

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

must be that front over SW Ireland approaching now on the radar

certainly is, it's moving south west to north east and within itself it's shifting north west to south east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

mOD has got to that stage where forecasts are Dire, and life just ain’t worth it.  Meanwhile large bits  of Britain , not the south, grant you , have had or are continuing to have, or will continue to have snow/sleet.  It ain’t that fab you know, once the oooh winter wonderlandness of it has passed and real life kicks in.  Will be quite happy with a teeny bit of mild, just for heating bills respite!

• Like 2

Posted

Wet snow at my level, settling on Spring Hill across valley

• Like 1