A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
3 hours ago, Marcus_surfer said:

One word for southern counties yet again ....Marginal

Should be 2 words "cold rain" ?

Posted
2 hours ago, freeze for all said:

Elevation will b key again with this spell coming up, will probably c snow showers down to low levels but that will b as good as it gets. The usual suspects may get another good dumping like last month tho

your not talking about me again lol - cause your only a few miles away

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter
25 minutes ago, andymusic said:

your not talking about me again lol - cause your only a few miles away

Hi, I am a little concerned with the elevation issue next week. I live in Blaenau Ffestiniog at 210m asl which you would think would be enough. But the sea is not far away and would be up wind in a WNW flow. We did very well in early December getting 5-6 inches on the Friday and a little extra on the Saturday from convective showers and then 8 to 10 inches on the Sunday 10th. But I have a nagging doubt that this will not be anything like as favorable. Looking at some of the comments in the other place (admittedly from people living in the SE and south of the Seven) so could be jealously or wind ups they could be correct and the moderating affect of the long draw across the Atlantic will have a significant influence on the eventual 850 temps and dew points. Any thoughts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

If you live in South West Wales, I really wouldn't look at the GFS 12z run today....

Posted
1 hour ago, EastAnglian said:

Hi, I am a little concerned with the elevation issue next week. I live in Blaenau Ffestiniog at 210m asl which you would think would be enough. But the sea is not far away and would be up wind in a WNW flow. We did very well in early December getting 5-6 inches on the Friday and a little extra on the Saturday from convective showers and then 8 to 10 inches on the Sunday 10th. But I have a nagging doubt that this will not be anything like as favorable. Looking at some of the comments in the other place (admittedly from people living in the SE and south of the Seven) so could be jealously or wind ups they could be correct and the moderating affect of the long draw across the Atlantic will have a significant influence on the eventual 850 temps and dew points. Any thoughts?

personally I think your in one of the sweet spots - if you don't see a few inches and more i'd be very surprised

Posted
17 minutes ago, Snowmadsam said:

If you live in South West Wales, I really wouldn't look at the GFS 12z run today....

why's that? don't think it is as bad as you think - those snow showers will be constantly piling in on a west to north westerly and on the western coast is where in between larger features like the mid-week barrelling low, you'll be getting some of the majority of the showers - a lot of them wintry in nature

Posted
3 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

What do you think about south east @andymusic what are our hopes down here .

all of us in the uk stand to see snow next week, with such a long cold set up and a variety of lows barrelling in and out and showers piling in - it's complicated to say who will get what and how much - but i'm sure we'll all get to see and enjoy some of the wintry stuff

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

all of us in the uk stand to see snow next week, with such a long cold set up and a variety of lows barrelling in and out and showers piling in - it's complicated to say who will get what and how much - but i'm sure we'll all get to see and enjoy some of the wintry stuff

Thanks @andymusic sounds good to me mate :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

and so the 18z gives us another week of snowy fun to look forward too, especially that midweek barrelling low which if it gets the right course will paste Wales in plenty of snow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, andymusic said:

and so the 18z gives us another week of snowy fun to look forward too, especially that midweek barrelling low which if it gets the right course will paste Wales in plenty of snow

That will be typical with the ground works being done for our summerhouse, can’t see Them being able to put a concrete base down,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow thunder

as optimistic as I am and hope I'm wrong as I do like a snow event I can't see this happening. haven't seen any snow warnings for Wales as yet just rain/sleet. always expect the unexpected though...

Posted

Sheesh ... some brown noses in here tonight ' moans when it rains and now moaning when snow is coming ' shall we just giving up . it is going to not cold but freeezer cold and should hit headline news for gods sake stop the Ramps ..

Posted
9 hours ago, bluenose1000 said:

as optimistic as I am and hope I'm wrong as I do like a snow event I can't see this happening. haven't seen any snow warnings for Wales as yet just rain/sleet. always expect the unexpected though...

too early for warnings yet - the warnings that are up are only for Scotland as they only go as far as Monday into early Tuesday morning - Tuesday day is when the cold fun spreads further south so expect at least a yellow warning to come up shortly - as for the mid-week barrelling low feature - expect either a blizzard warning or a wind 90mph warning - that's looking nasty

Posted

Morning quick question , The net weather forecast shows 95% chance for snow my area for most of next week  but the met office only has rain. Do they use different

models ?

Posted
5 minutes ago, wizzy said:

Morning quick question , The net weather forecast shows 95% chance for snow my area for most of next week  but the met office only has rain. Do they use different

models ?

here's your answer sort of via the met office mountain forecast for the beacons

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Sunrise: 08:14
Sunset: 16:34
Moon phase: New

Windy with gales or severe gales and a significant windchill. Frequent, wintry showers will continue, with snow falling to increasingly low levels. A risk of blizzards over the peaks with significant snowfall accumulations possible in places.

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Sunrise: 08:13
Sunset: 16:35

Windy with gales or severe gales and a significant windchill. Frequent, wintry showers will continue, with snow falling to low levels. A risk of blizzards over the peaks with significant snowfall accumulations possible in places.

Posted
13 minutes ago, andymusic said:

here's your answer sort of via the met office mountain forecast for the beacons

Tuesday 16 January 2018

Sunrise: 08:14
Sunset: 16:34

Windy with gales or severe gales and a significant windchill. Frequent, wintry showers will continue, with snow falling to increasingly low levels. A risk of blizzards over the peaks with significant snowfall accumulations possible in places.

Wednesday 17 January 2018

Sunrise: 08:13
Sunset: 16:35

Windy with gales or severe gales and a significant windchill. Frequent, wintry showers will continue, with snow falling to low levels. A risk of blizzards over the peaks with significant snowfall accumulations possible in places.

Cheers Andy looking good

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/01/2018 at 17:03, keithlucky said:

Been waiting for the magic -8 uppers to appear horahh its arrived, Monday night when the fun begin as showers turn increasing wintery.Tues cold with blustery heavy sleet or snowers blizzards condtions at times,Tuesday night looks atm a more organized band of sleet or snow moves into Wales ,Wednesday Thurday more sleet /snow showers ,So get your rusty snow shovels out of the garage !

Exciting but dangerous weather this week!Tuesday heavy wintry showers sleet snow hail blizzards with perhaps thunder snow ,with la nina causing colder than average pacific and a meandering jet stream,which leads to unusual winter condions.image.thumb.png.ab12bb788b0515660d419e2794cb96df.pngWednesday again heavy wintery showers Thurday another storm hits us from the Nwest with higher ground again facing blizzards and by Friday A northerly wind with further snow . GREAT charts if you like cold and snow.Expect met office to put a lot of weather warnings over the next week!.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
11 hours ago, bluenose1000 said:

The last snow event in December was forecast all to pot , they forecast it to arrive on the Thursday but the bigger downfall of snow arrived the Saturday night into Sunday morning and then they had forecast rain ?! I do not rely on the forecasts no more to be honest it's always wrong for our area . I think it's just the wait and see scenario!

Posted
30 minutes ago, Missdolly said:

The last snow event in December was forecast all to pot , they forecast it to arrive on the Thursday but the bigger downfall of snow arrived the Saturday night into Sunday morning and then they had forecast rain ?! I do not rely on the forecasts no more to be honest it's always wrong for our area . I think it's just the wait and see scenario!

yep radar and stick your head out the window lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

So is it time to get a little excited then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

No not yet, get this possible storm through first and then we'll have a better idea. To me tho it' starting to b a repeat of previous years where the models show the cold but it keeps getting pushed back

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

About this storm..been in the mad thread and there are some big figures being quoted from wind speeds and so on.work keeping an eye on for sure

Posted
59 minutes ago, andymusic said:

yep radar and stick your head out the window lol

Exactly ! They're covering themselves Andy ?, I said to my husband when I got in that Saturday night after work that it would snow he said no they have forecast rain ??! 

Posted
27 minutes ago, dbaloo said:

About this storm..been in the mad thread and there are some big figures being quoted from wind speeds and so on.work keeping an eye on for sure

I seriously don't want that to come off. My house is prone to damage and that would bring an abrupt end to dry January