Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
51 minutes ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

Even if this doesn't come off at least we've had some interest and snow this Winter.

What are the temps forecast for next week?

can't see too much of a problem with temps and dewpoints next week - this won't be your standard pm air, upper air temps will be modified downwards

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter
12 minutes ago, andymusic said:

can't see too much of a problem with temps and dewpoints next week - this won't be your standard pm air, upper air temps will be modified downwards

I thought the upper air temps were modified to be less cold on this mornings 0Z run. Did the 6Z change them again?

Edited by EastAnglian

Posted
14 minutes ago, EastAnglian said:

I thought the upper air temps were modified to be less cold on this mornings 0Z run. Did the 6Z change them again?

yep latest update is better but we'll know exact amounts and set up nearer the time

Posted

@andymusic saw your post to c in mod, here's a few pics i took, a couple of days ago in Alps (before the most recent dump), turning into an epic year for snow, (and terrible for skiing atm, lots closed due to avalanche risk) 

IMG_20180101_112455727.jpg

IMG_20180102_090240490.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, beatpete said:

@andymusic saw your post to c in mod, here's a few pics i took, a couple of days ago in Alps (before the most recent dump), turning into an epic year for snow, (and terrible for skiing atm, lots closed due to avalanche risk) 

Looks like Ebbw Vale

Posted
58 minutes ago, beatpete said:

haven't been myself for a few years - but love the scenery and mountains they have - lovely pics

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

haven't been myself for a few years 

Get well soon, mate?:drunk-emoji::D:good:

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Get well soon, mate?:drunk-emoji::D:good:

funny - well gfs 18z puts us in the freezer in Wales starting Monday evening for just under a week and it could be longer - lots of snow ops and freezing weather

gfs-2-132.png?18

gfs-2-144.png?18

gfs-2-192.png?18

• Thanks 1

Posted

Just driven home from Milton Keynes never seen such persistent fog. No fun driving in it for sure

Posted
1 minute ago, Stevetynant said:

Just driven home from Milton Keynes never seen such persistent fog. No fun driving in it for sure

Yes @Stevetynant not very nice at all ain't it ' had to go up the cross keys just outside risca and it was very heavy and dense ' temp was 3 c there , down to -1.4 now and freezing fog .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Can’t beleive they are all bickering in the model thread about nw Britain this and that granted they look prime for what may come next week but you have to feel that from our perspective here in Wales this pm incursion next week looks good and remember the Irish Sea is colder than average so less risk of the uppers getting watered down. Also with Ireland positioned where it is we could do better than nw Britain because the cold uppers have less sea to traverse effectively Ireland is our cold magnet and as long as the strength of the wind from the nw remains potent enough to drag the uppers from Greenland almost un modified I’d expect snow almost anywhere in Wales from Tuesday Wednesday on next week here’s hoping anyway. 

PD

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Can’t beleive they are all bickering in the model thread about nw Britain this and that granted they look prime for what may come next week but you have to feel that from our perspective here in Wales this pm incursion next week looks good and remember the Irish Sea is colder than average so less risk of the uppers getting watered down. Also with Ireland positioned where it is we could do better than nw Britain because the cold uppers have less sea to traverse effectively Ireland is our cold magnet and as long as the strength of the wind from the nw remains potent enough to drag the uppers from Greenland almost un modified I’d expect snow almost anywhere in Wales from Tuesday Wednesday on next week here’s hoping anyway. 

PD

what he said lol - 

gfs-2-114.png?6

gfs-2-126.png?6

gfs-2-132.png?6

next week could be an absolute snowfest for Wales

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

PD

It's not the NW bickering that got me going, it was the Kindergarten posts. I would have thought, the upper temps on the predicted zonal flow are modified most by the Atlantic, the Irish sea would have little effect by comparison. Granted it would have on a more normal NW flow but the predicted flow is unusual.

I live in NW Wales despite the user name and am looking forward to next week with my finger firmly crossed. Which make typing difficult. :)

Posted

It's ridiculous on there but do gander it's the highlight of my day ? very funny actually ! Anyways looking good for Wales next week ?.

Hello everyone

It's f-f-freezing here today!  I am in Pembroke Dock currently at work but live in Kilgetty.  We have had no snow yet - not for what seems like ages.  I saw a post yesterday that some people think we may have some early next week - any forecasters here think it will happen?  It would be amazing to have some :)

Posted
2 hours ago, RainStarr said:

Hello everyone

It's f-f-freezing here today!  I am in Pembroke Dock currently at work but live in Kilgetty.  We have had no snow yet - not for what seems like ages.  I saw a post yesterday that some people think we may have some early next week - any forecasters here think it will happen?  It would be amazing to have some :)

I think you may be a bit to far south for lying snow but you may see snow falling in the heavier showers I think, good luck. BTW the Met update is still uninspiring it must be very uncomfortable on that fence they are sitting on.

Edited by EastAnglian

Posted
3 hours ago, RainStarr said:

Hello everyone

Been waiting for the magic -8 uppers to appear horahh its arrived, Monday night when the fun begin as showers turn increasing wintery.Tues cold with blustery heavy sleet or snowers blizzards condtions at times,Tuesday night looks atm a more organized band of sleet or snow moves into Wales ,Wednesday Thurday more sleet /snow showers ,So get your rusty snow shovels out of the garage !

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Been waiting for the magic -8 uppers to appear horahh its arrived, Monday night when the fun begin as showers turn increasing wintery.Tues cold with blustery heavy sleet or snowers blizzards condtions at times,Tuesday night looks atm a more organized band of sleet or snow moves into Wales ,Wednesday Thurday more sleet /snow showers ,So get your rusty snow shovels out of the garage !

yep yer we go - flipping freezing out now and beeb already ramping next week up on forecasts - starts Monday and lasts for over a week - you ready for this

gfs-2-108.png?12

gfs-2-114.png?12

gfs-2-120.png?12

gfs-2-126.png?12

gfs-2-132.png?12

gfs-2-198.png?12

west wales could do extremely well out of this, but the whole of Wales is in the line of fire (or snow) windy/blizzards/snow - for more than a week - it's gonna be freezing!

• Like 1

Posted
54 minutes ago, andymusic said:

pasted Wales

GFSOPEU12_240_25.png

Haha love your posts in mad thread Andy! keep em coming! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Cymro said:

Haha love your posts in mad thread Andy! keep em coming! 

They seem to write everyone else off in there ?! Let's hope lots of snow days next week for us , it's looking like it's going to get rather cold ☃️!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Missdolly said:

They seem to write everyone else off in there ?! Let's hope lots of snow days next week for us , it's looking like it's going to get rather cold ☃️!

not there fault - there just a little bit biased as they would rather have the good set up for the south east - as loads of them live that way - but this set up looks like it may deliver throughout the uk yet, but some of them will just argue constantly as they would rather have an easterly, easier for them to get snow, so they've got the hump because we in the west are gonna get pasted again lol