Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, freeze for all said:

You've seen how much the models have changed for this so called cold snap which was going to b the beast from the east but is now an average spell of weather. So looking that far out is completely pointless

not completely - gfs can spot trends - but as most on the mad thread do say - struggles like hell with beasterlies - but the "trends" come from background signals and a few runs have shown very cold pm incursions in FI

Posted

I can't keep up with all this chopping and changing ! Just glad it looks like it will be more settled for a few days . Who knows what will happen ? The admins in the mad thread must be tearing their hair out with all the drama ?!

Posted
3 hours ago, Missdolly said:

I can't keep up with all this chopping and changing ! Just glad it looks like it will be more settled for a few days . Who knows what will happen ? The admins in the mad thread must be tearing their hair out with all the drama ?!

deffo a different winter this year, much colder with wintry precip rather than just rain - and more chances coming up I think -

gfs-2-240.png?12

Posted
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

deffo a different winter this year, much colder with wintry precip rather than just rain - and more chances coming up I think -

gfs-2-240.png?12

That's good to hear Andy , the updates here are far better ?! 

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, andymusic said:

watch out for a few flakes of the white stuff tomorrow

gfs-2-24.png?18

Nowcasting seems to be whats needed jetstream waving all over thanks to the weather bomb thats hie USA ,Look at Monday fax20180106.0551.PPVJ89.png

Posted

Whitest hoar frost so far this winter at -1.1c and a sprinkling of snowgrains,strangely drifted on the concret yard,like a car has drove fast through it.

Currently 0.2c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Here in Blaenau Ffestiniog cold, frosty and bright. I thought yesterday when I was out and being blasted by a gale force wind that the local forecast had shown the High sinking south and the winds would be light, that did not happen so as we all know the models always seem to underestimate how quickly the high can be blown away. Can be a mixed blessing if it moves north then happy days for cold if not snow, but if it sinks a little, to north western France then gloom and endless mild mush. Still if the jet runs NW - SE as indicated if that works out then perhaps we will get enough energy running under the block to pump it further north, as other have said time will tell. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Mad thread still going on about beastly easterly's ?! Well it's certainly colder , I just think patience is needed something is definitely a foot for next week ! 

What's your thoughts Andy ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Down to -5.9 here last night was pretty cool out there this morning and a pretty hard frost got some photos of  the frost this morning. Second coldest night of the winter so far. 

Posted
3 hours ago, Summerstorm said:

Down to -5.9 here last night was pretty cool out there this morning and a pretty hard frost got some photos of  the frost this morning. Second coldest night of the winter so far. 

Still frosty in Blaenau Ffestiniog in the shade. Frost lifted in direct sunlight but pretty cold still. I will be very surprised if we see a raging Atlantic mild push this week. :aggressive:

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Missdolly said:

Mad thread still going on about beastly easterly's ?! Well it's certainly colder , I just think patience is needed something is definitely a foot for next week ! 

What's your thoughts Andy ?

I still think the uppers modelled needed for snow in the east are too far east and the atlantic will break through, which we will still benefit from pm air hitting us from the west - agreed an easterly may well be colder and better - but this time I don't think it's on the cards for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Probably coldest day of the winter in Cardiff so far today. 2c max, grey all day with a biting wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.
56 minutes ago, beatpete said:

nice piece about 1982 on the bbc today..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-42615172

Those were the days! If only we could get a dumping like that again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
5 hours ago, Clair_Witch said:

Those were the days! If only we could get a dumping like that again.

I wish!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms snow sun

God this rollercoaster is making me giddy now up down around back again so is a cold spell coming just can't make it out would that cold air out west stay cold when it comes across us still learning thanks.

Posted
16 minutes ago, dragon falls said:

God this rollercoaster is making me giddy now up down around back again so is a cold spell coming just can't make it out would that cold air out west stay cold when it comes across us still learning thanks.

yep - things settling down now - Monday night into Tuesday looks the start of it

gfs-2-150.png?6

gfs-2-156.png?6

Edited by andymusic

Posted
37 minutes ago, andymusic said:

looking fab next week for a wintry wonderland for Wales

gfs-2-180.png?6

Even if this doesn't come off at least we've had some interest and snow this Winter.

What are the temps forecast for next week?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cwmbran Eira said:

Even if this doesn't come off at least we've had some interest and snow this Winter.

What are the temps forecast for next week?

Mid single figures (3,4 or 5) that is in North Wales, so for snow would expect height will be required

• Like 1