Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

-5C here when I checked at 0630 hrs. Snow packed ice paths and side roads everywhere. Rain on top of this lot will be treacherous for road users. I've seen a lot of the valleys over the past few days and have been wondering the same thing about the Met Office temps and the actual temps around snow covered South Wales.

I always thought warm air goes up over cold air and rain that falls through cold enough air, turns to snow. Are we actually going to return to mild weather so quick that it just rains? 

Edited by CwmbranMan

Posted

there is a wedge of milder air coming in for around 24 hours - then this - yes normally if rain does fall in these conditions it can lead to freezing rain and thick ice on the ground - no warnings for that so I presume the milder air just walks in and warms things up this time

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 We 13.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 14.12.2017 00 GMT

Posted

cold enough for ice but not for snow

Yellow Warning of Ice for Wales : Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Powys, Wrexham, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Swansea & Bridgend valid from 1600 Tue 12 Dec to 1100 Wed 13 Dec

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
13 minutes ago, andymusic said:

cold enough for ice but not for snow

Yellow Warning of Ice for Wales : Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Powys, Wrexham, Ceredigion, Carmarthenshire, Monmouthshire, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil, Neath Port Talbot, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Swansea & Bridgend valid from 1600 Tue 12 Dec to 1100 Wed 13 Dec

I'd say that's more for the lying snow which when the rain hits it will turn to ice, so for places with no snow there shouldn't b a problem

Posted

Current snowfall map if it links right.

Plenty of heavy rain coming into wales now.

mapa_duza.png

Lol nope I`ve got today`s snowmap,but this still not working right.:cc_confused:

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 1

Posted

Well what a start to winter, 3 snow events in South Wales already. Today it seemed unreal to be witnessing rain as the ground was frozen solid with 12 inches of compacted snow, Makes you realise just how difficult forecasting is in our location. A few pics from the upper Swansea and Neath Valleys from the past two days, both places with virtually no snow at the lower end, and an amazing amount further up. How lucky are we to live here?

100_0168.JPG

100_0270.JPG

100_0295.JPG

100_0610.JPG

100_0660.JPG

100_0747.JPG

100_0759.JPG

100_0956.JPG

100_0960.JPG

100_0997.JPG

100_0720.JPG

100_0736.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

So the cold spell is over......for 24 hours! 

Well not quite the the depth of cold we have had this weekend but certainly cold enough for snow and some settling snow above around 150-200m 

Heads of the valleys and the Beacons look like getting a few more cms wed night into Thursday. 

Posted

last shower that went through earlier had some sleetiness in and temps have dropped here from 6c to 3c - looking across the sea to Ireland on radar - huge wadge of/a front showers piling over into Wales - might have a few surprises tonight into tomorrow

Posted

anybody for a WHITE XMAS - gfs 12z looking good for one today

gfs-2-288.png?12

major storm on boxing day with blizzards in places

gfs-2-300.png?12

gfs gone a little nuts with a 965mb Hurricane over us boxing day onwards - but here's the thing - today's run means only about 5 days in milder air from next Monday before mr. freeze returns to pay us another visit:cold:

really looking like winter will behave more like winter this season

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 hour ago, andymusic said:

anybody for a WHITE XMAS - gfs 12z looking good for one today

gfs-2-288.png?12

major storm on boxing day with blizzards in places

gfs-2-300.png?12

gfs gone a little nuts with a 965mb Hurricane over us boxing day onwards - but here's the thing - today's run means only about 5 days in milder air from next Monday before mr. freeze returns to pay us another visit:cold:

really looking like winter will behave more like winter this season

First time I've seen a chance of snow for Pembs!

Posted

Just heard a low rumble of thunder and then quick flash of light - weather app now showing a small storm bowling in.:cc_confused:

IMG_1641.thumb.PNG.0c6f0676296088c4f09dfbf4eb17e210.PNG

Edited by Alicol

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alicol said:

Just heard a low rumble of thunder and then quick flash of light - weather app now showing a small storm bowling in.:cc_confused:

IMG_1641.thumb.PNG.0c6f0676296088c4f09dfbf4eb17e210.PNG

I thought I heard something loud and thunderous - that's what it was lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Oh look, snowing again!  Settling too.  So happy that oil tank filled today and logpile full.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, andymusic said:

I thought I heard something loud and thunderous - that's what it was lol

When everyone was going on about their amazing storms a couple of months ago the Pontypridd Storm Shield held firm - wasn't expecting that at all. 

Posted

Yellow Warning of Ice for Wales : Denbighshire, Flintshire, Powys, Wrexham, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Vale of Glamorgan, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Newport, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Torfaen, Conwy, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Pembrokeshire & Swansea valid from 1100 Thu 14 Dec to 1100 Fri 15 Dec

and latest gfs still cranking up the potential for a major easterly around xmas with battleground snow dumping potential for WALES
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Shwmae. Sorry sneaking into your thread from over here in Suffolk (although maybe I qualify as I do come from Dinas Powys near Cardiff and Mum & Dad still live there! :)).

Anyway.... this tweet caught my eye - a wonderful example of the famous 'Pembrokeshire Dangler' in all its' glory this afternoon!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Good one, Cheers Blessed (and Welcome, lol)

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Is it me or is this mild spell being pushed back?  

Posted
On 19/12/2017 at 19:47, whiskers said:

Anybody knows what weather it is for xmas,it's a bit confusing in the model thread! 

Yes, I get a bit cross with the model thread. some seem to just argue with almost any chart or more "expert" opinion and totally confuse the whole situation.  Then others just costantly want to look two weeks ahead into FI when no-one really has a clue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

I honestly don't know y people bother with the models after 3 days there is no point, some times I wonder y I bother checking the weather forecast as well. I looked on BBC yesterday morning and the forecast was a good chance of rain in the north and dry but cloudy in the south. Well I can tell u now it rained all day yesterday and I live in the south