Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
7 minutes ago, andymusic said:

well I wouldn't say 100% but maybe more like 99.9% lol:D:cold:

I try my best to see it like it is but with snow I can sometimes be ever the optimist - but as I get older, more experience enlightens me to the various possible set ups - I certainly try my best anyway - thanks for the compliment!

It's been spot on today but snow forecasting is a nightmare as the 3 weather apps on my phone show all different temps, heavy/light or no snow it's a nightmare. You're more than welcome to the complement too :D

Posted

Snow not even moving on the radar went lighter for a time late morning but pepped up more since,should see our first ice day too,been a few years.

Posted

Walked from oakdale to blackwood,surprising how much snow is on the roads,lovely to see so many people around having fun,currently 2 degrees ,hoping it doesn't get any warmer! 

Well done Andymusic you called it spot on! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

I drove up to Hirwaun from Aberdare and then along the Heads of the Valleys road all the way to Tredegar. 

Luckily for me I followed a snow plough from Dowlais Top to Tredegar then nearly got stuck on the slip road (aptly named) 

Anyway Tredegar had around 10- 12" of the white stuff. Incredible scenes and puts our 2-3" on Aberdare to shame! 

On a serious note, with temps in rural wales dropping to -10 tonight tomorrow will be lethal!

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, RhysWales said:

I'm a little shocked how sporadic accumulations are. Been for a drive to blackwood via Risca and back through Ystrad/ Caerphilly/ Bedwas/ Machen. 

Places with more elevation than me have had virtually nothing- Trethomas, Bedwas, not much in Caerphilly. 

The only reason I can think of is there are some hills directly to the west of Bassaleg. Otherwise not sure how we've done as well as we have? Don't think I've ever seen us get anything from a marginal event in my memory!

Blackwood looked stunning by the way!

IMG_20171210_105209.jpg

My son is sledging in Bassaleg with his cousin. They reckon it's better down there than here - which is unusual. Being in the lee of Machen mountain has made the difference for sure. I was just up on top at 360m and there is over 6" lying and drifts well above that. A different world up there as down in the valley the wet snow is still not settling on all surfaces.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold . snow
26 minutes ago, whiskers said:

Walked from oakdale to blackwood,surprising how much snow is on the roads,lovely to see so many people around having fun,currently 2 degrees ,hoping it doesn't get any warmer! 

Well done Andymusic you called it spot on! 

Its to be -16 tonight...

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, gareth moo said:

My son is sledging in Bassaleg with his cousin. They reckon it's better down there than here - which is unusual. Being in the lee of Machen mountain has made the difference for sure. I was just up on top at 360m and there is over 6" lying and drifts well above that. A different world up there as down in the valley the wet snow is still not settling on all surfaces.

Yeah. I think had the PPN come from a slightly different direction we probably wouldn't have had such luck. I was shocked though- Caerphilly end of Machen- zero, half a mile further down the road (and lower down) there was more snow. Really interesting to see the snowline so visibly!

Posted

Is the front due to sink at all or just head SE? If so, we look to be in a bit of a bowling alley with no PPN?

Posted
2 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

Is the front due to sink at all or just head SE? If so, we look to be in a bit of a bowling alley with no PPN?

should drop south ever so slowly as well the front moving south east

will take till tomorrow morning to clear completely

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

should drop south ever so slowly as well the front moving south east

will take till tomorrow morning to clear completely

God I hope so. Something to be cheery about after Everton get destroyed by Liverpool!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Is it me, or has it pivoted completely?  Looking at radar the greeny bits seem to have swirled back round.  Still snowing steadily.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I'm hoping winds swing to the North in time for unexpected surprises in the west.....

Posted

Looking at radar I'm in a no snow zone but it's still snowing here lol albeit really fine stuff! I've been out and yup a foot of it is down. Not sure if any more to come now but what a day although most disappointed at  not being able to get to Cardiff ?

Posted

It's been snowing here all day, but instead of accumulating, it's melting.

I can just about see my husband's footprints on the block driveway that he made around 11am.  They are disappearing, not because they are being filled in, but because the snow around them is melting.

I can usually see all of Caerphilly below me, but not at the moment as the cloud is so low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Area of snow moving onto South Wales now. Probably hitting Cardiff soon. Hopefully the precipitation doesn’t stay in channel. Could give a covering with those precip rates.

• Like 2

Posted

Turning to rain in Abergavenny, kids have had a lovely day in the snow ❄️⛄️ 

Here’s hoping we have some more 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Should be seasonal!

32cm and counting - Snowing heavily again, (but hasn't really stopped all day!). Not sure what the final total will be, but easily the most snow i have experienced in one day.

Edited by acorb
  • Like 1