Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Temp must be rising here. Snow sliding off cars now. Still chucking it down though. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, andymusic said:

simples you ain't except by husky sledge or snow mobile lol - it's hammering down - it did let up for a while but as with lots of others in Wales just like was forecast we are snowed in till xmas now lol

Noo! I've got a date with steps and the Vengaboys ? Wonder why the amber warning wasn't extended? Tredegar is at a standstill, even the church and a pub has announced its shut today on Facebook  ?

Posted
Just now, Bafan said:

Noo! I've got a date with steps and the Vengaboys ? Wonder why the amber warning wasn't extended? Tredegar is at a standstill, even the church and a pub has announced its shut today on Facebook  ?

not the pub - surely not - they never close - the only sanctuary at times like these lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

not the pub - surely not - they never close - the only sanctuary at times like these lol

Yup! Staff can't get there and for safety reasons. This has to be the most snow since 2010. 

Posted

Heavy settling snow here now temp -1! hopefully a lot more to come? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Great reading the posts from people getting snow this morning. 

You also have to give the Met Office serious praise for the accuracy of the forecast. 

The band as I expected moved south a little more by around 50 miles that brought much more of Wales into the snow zone. 

And as expected some areas of Mid Wales and also the Heads of the Valley, have experienced their heaviest falls dine 2010/2013. 

It been a great start to winter and the great thing is those that have lying snow will be able to enjoy it for a couple of days as temp will barely reach freezing. 

Another big hazard later today will be ice as temps fall away under clearing skies. 

Hete in Aberdare I got in from my Xmas party at around 11 and it was dry. By around 1 it was starting to rain/sleet then by 3 it had turned to snow. 

My bet is just 3 miles up the road in Hirwaun it's a good few inches deep. That extra 100m in altitude is making a huge difference in what is a very marginal set up. 

Im at exactly 400' here whereas Hirwaun is around 650-700' 

Posted

Amber Warning of Snow for Wales : Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Powys, Wrexham, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire & Torfaen valid from 0810 Sun 10 Dec to 1800 Sun 10 Dec

Caerphilly is in there but not rhondda cynon taf - that's a complete mystery to me that one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Literally in like 30 seconds its gone from pure rain to very wet snow.

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Amber Warning of Snow for Wales : Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Powys, Wrexham, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire & Torfaen valid from 0810 Sun 10 Dec to 1800 Sun 10 Dec

Caerphilly is in there but not rhondda cynon taf - that's a complete mystery to me that one

Major worry will be the gales forecast for later on. Any snow we do get, currently raining in Pontypridd, will (hopefully) dry out the rain and any snow will drift. Should be some atrocious weather conditions later for RCT.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alicol said:

Major worry will be the gales forecast for later on. Any snow we do get, currently raining in Pontypridd, will (hopefully) dry out the rain and any snow will drift. Should be some atrocious weather conditions later for RCT.

amazing the 2c temp difference between ponty town and the top of the graig hill - or as it's become known - the graigerhorn - rain on the nursery slopes and snow at the top - yep - mumbles currently getting 70mph gusts - not seeing that here yet but should imagine it'll get here soon too which will really add to the probs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

AT LAST!  Snow is falling in Pembrokeshire!  It's heavy but wet so not settling, but I don't mind - it looks very seasonal out there and it's certainly a huge improvement on recent Decembers.  I will have to get out later and see if we have any lying snow on the hills.

EDIT.  Seems to be stopping already - hey ho.  Perhaps it will return later this morning.  

Posted

We’ve no warning for here which I find odd and the snow keeps building up :D 

Posted
3 minutes ago, andymusic said:

amazing the 2c temp difference between ponty town and the top of the graig hill - or as it's become known - the graigerhorn - rain on the nursery slopes and snow at the top - yep - mumbles currently getting 70mph gusts - not seeing that here yet but should imagine it'll get here soon too which will really add to the probs

It really is, so whilst really pleased for everyone else, looking over to White Rock and seeing the snow left me feeling a bit miffed this morning. I hope we'll see some as forecast but it's standing rain here so the surfaces need to dry off a bit. Also the BBC and Met websites have our temp hovering at 1 whilst the BBC forecast still shows 7?

Edited by Alicol

Posted

Down here in Machen we are right on the margin of this event. Rain pounding the windows most of the night but now turning more to wet snow with rain mixed in. Amazing to see the famed evaporative cooling in effect as the heaviest pulses convert to 100% snow blizzards with the addition of crazy gusts. 1 degree here at present but guessing that may fall in the next few hours as the winds veer North West. Going to be a great day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Just rain heavy rain here hasn't stopped all night my garden is like a pond and I'm sure I just saw ducks out there lol

Posted
10 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Very heavy snow whiteout.

Jay im In cardiff and all i can see is sleet occasionally in rain

10 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

11 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said: