Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

A few snow showers here over the past few days, but we largely missed out (again).

However good to see others doing a little better.

It really is on a knife edge for inland South Wales tomorrow, the rain/snow boundary is changing every run, fingers crossed for you. However looking very promising indeed for Mid/North Wales.

Some Mid Wales Mountains likely to be covered in a lot of snow.

Posted

here is overlay of latest surface pressure chart and the warnings  and it shows just how critical that low centre is , few miles south and all will be in the fun

I added 3 versions so you can see main features of each layer.

brack01.gif

brack02.gif

brack03.gif

• Thanks 2

Posted

Well I`ve prepared for tomorrow best I can,that east wind looks pretty strong for a time blocked roads I can see from drifting as there is already plenty of snow to drift now.

Get the shopping down today instead of Monday.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Well I`ve prepared for tomorrow best I can,that east wind looks pretty strong for a time blocked roads I can see from drifting as there is already plenty of snow to drift now.

Get the shopping down today instead of Monday.

i would - your in prime position for the worst of it

Amber Warning of Snow for Wales : Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Powys & Wrexham valid from 0400 Sun 10 Dec to 1800 Sun 10 Dec

Yellow Warning of Snow for Wales : Blaenau Gwent, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Conwy, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Gwynedd, Isle of Anglesey, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Powys & Wrexham valid from 0400 Sun 10 Dec to 2355 Sun 10 Dec

Yellow Warning of Wind for Wales : Bridgend, Caerphilly, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Merthyr Tydfil, Monmouthshire, Neath Port Talbot, Newport, Pembrokeshire, Rhonnda Cynon Taff, Swansea, Torfaen & Vale of Glamorgan valid from 0400 Sun 10 Dec to 1500 Sun 10 Dec
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard
7 minutes ago, Sionzzz said:

How it looking for North wales? imageproxy.php?img=&key=d8af95ed7f22db9e

Good few inches of it hopefully:cold:i can only dream:aggressive:

• Thanks 1

Posted

Funny lot in main thread , BlueArmy seems to think Wales does not exist, The Snow line goes, according to him "Gloucester across to Luton and then across to s norfolk" 

Now i thought a line from West of Brecon looks high risk too

Are we seeing jealousy from Some on there for Wales  and West Mids having highest risk of snow

They should know, santa only rewards good boys and girls and being jealous is not being good.

Seems we have been good !

He could always come across to Gods Country for the night, if we let him in

• Like 3

Posted

Well temps outside here in a tropical East of Swansea are showing 0 to 1 degree ATM well according to car anyway. As far as tomorrow we all know after last few years it's going to rain here in Swansea But we still dream and hope that's what I keep telling myself anyway to close to the sea. Ah well that's my thoughts.

Posted
5 minutes ago, valejack said:

Well temps outside here in a tropical East of Swansea are showing 0 to 1 degree ATM well according to car anyway. As far as tomorrow we all know after last few years it's going to rain here in Swansea But we still dream and hope that's what I keep telling myself anyway to close to the sea. Ah well that's my thoughts.

you could be right - but ya never know - one of the reasons - Cardiff/Newport/Swansea grew up where they are would have been weather based reasons in Wales as well as for economy/industrial revolution reasons

that front is ever inching closer on radar - won't b long now

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted

6Z AROME which puts both myself and @andymusic in the bullseye. AROME, ARPEGE, ECM and UKMO are now more or less on board for a southern adjustment to the snow; the GFS isn't. Let's see what the 12Z brings.

image.png

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
23 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

6Z AROME which puts both myself and @andymusic in the bullseye. AROME, ARPEGE, ECM and UKMO are now more or less on board for a southern adjustment to the snow; the GFS isn't. Let's see what the 12Z brings.

image.png

oh crikey - I suppose it's a - be careful what u wish for scenario lol

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

image.png

So we're in the firing line now for snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds
6 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I think any snow for you/southern coastal areas will be when the front begins to push back south later in the afternoon. I can see most seeing some wet snow in the late afternoon/evening with temperatures around 1 - 3. Intensity of precipitation will be decisive. 

Edited by MattTarrant
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattTarrant said:

I think any snow for you/southern coastal areas will be when the front begins to push back south later in the afternoon. I can see most seeing some wet snow in the late afternoon/evening with temperatures around 1 - 3. Intensity of precipitation will be decisive. 

I'm staying at my girlfriends not far from caerphilly so should do alright.

Posted

latest euro 4 brings the slider in a tad sooner - I think born out on radar right now - looks to be coming in earlyish

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Sa 09.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 10.12.2017 00 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 10.12.2017 06 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 10.12.2017 12 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Su 10.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 11.12.2017 00 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Mo 11.12.2017 06 GMT

it may well be that coastal regions will get snow on the back end as it returns back through - again - this is a complex system, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out

Posted

Llanharan has navy and light  snow from 4pm tomorrow for 6 hours

Just cannot see it though. Think beacons and a line parallel to e Anglia and North of that will get murdered. 

GFS not worth Looking At in short range. Would trust euro4 model

Posted

GFS teases us in the South, - A shift towards us opens opportunities, Its the GFS and not what METO will not take any shift on it as gospel and neither should we, however the positive is that it is the latest run and so most up to date so far.  I will be interested in what BBC graphics show in an hour or so as should reflect latest from their models.  

This is going right down to the wire

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Hopefully it's a southwards correction...going down to the wire this

Posted
2 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

GFS teases us in the South, - A shift towards us opens opportunities, Its the GFS and not what METO will not take any shift on it as gospel and neither should we, however the positive is that it is the latest run and so most up to date so far.  I will be interested in what BBC graphics show in an hour or so as should reflect latest from their models.  

This is going right down to the wire

absoflipping lutely - gfs is south - front is starting to make in roads into the Bristol channel - the fronts "scouting party" some light precip already visible and a wintry mix in south wales now

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

I`ll be very surprised if you don`t see any snow at all.

30_30.gif

A few odd snow flurries this afternoon as it went overcast pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, PompeyFC said:

Llanharan has navy and light  snow from 4pm tomorrow for 6 hours

Just cannot see it though. Think beacons and a line parallel to e Anglia and North of that will get murdered. 

GFS not worth Looking At in short range. Would trust euro4 model

Met office use their own, GFS and ECM so do not be so quick to right it off, We need to be patient now and wait for BBC graphics latest update which is compiled by modified solutions from their model. Plus look for tweets of people like IF 

Just looking at the radar you can see the models have been out a little on this in the current timeframe, them  difference get bigger as time ticks on, but again wait to see what meto say which may be this evening if any changes are incoming.

It could be that their model nailed it already and no change made, bu i feel warnings will extend southwards

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, pyrotech said:

Met office use their own, GFS and ECM so do not be so quick to right it off, We need to be patient now and wait for BBC graphics latest update which is compiled by modified solutions from their model. Plus look for tweets of people like IF 

Just looking at the radar you can see the models have been out a little on this in the current timeframe, them  difference get bigger as time ticks on, but again wait to see what meto say which may be this evening if any changes are incoming.

It could be that their model nailed it already and no change made, bu i feel warnings will extend southwards

other than that - radar and head out window or lampposts at the ready is the best bet lol

Posted

Euro4 is higher res than gfs and more accurate. Situations like though it' never resolved until the front arrives. Sit back and ride the wave