Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, A Frayed Knot said:

@andymusic whats it like for Monday down here in the East .

from reading between the lines - snow to sleet to possibly rain back to sleet to snow very possible all between sunday morning and Monday midday - i'm not seeing what the beeb are seeing - a straight through push of mild - it looks more complicated than that - even meto are not sure of the freezing levels for the whole period - so it's gonna be "on the day" radar and out of the window watching

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

from reading between the lines - snow to sleet to possibly rain back to sleet to snow very possible all between sunday morning and Monday midday - i'm not seeing what the beeb are seeing - a straight through push of mild - it looks more complicated than that - even meto are not sure of the freezing levels for the whole period - so it's gonna be "on the day" radar and out of the window watching

Thanks @andymusic sounds interesting ' also Bbc forecast at the end the forecaster said keep and eye on our weather reports in the coming days as things look INTERESTING ? i wonder what they can see in the near future what we can't :cc_confused:

Posted
37 minutes ago, dyl232 said:

BF681562-5AA1-4F68-88E4-48FE3EE67A8C.jpeg

I'll pay your mortgage off/ rent if we get 5-15cm at lower levels in SE Wales. In fact I'd buy us all a drink on here if we get even a centimetre!

5 years this January since last settling snow here. That's worse than our record in the 90s! Get the feeling we only stand a chance when we have entrenched cold- 0 or below and plenty of thickness/well sub zero DPs/ all the other ingredients. 

I wish I had your optimism @Jayfromcardiff! Watch the beacons and valleys suck the intensity out of these showers and leave us in the sleet zone!

Excuse my inner Scrooge. Just that I've purposely given up on snow chances now unless everything ticks the box!

Posted

Belting down here right now and all is white with a decent covering - starting to freeze every where too - getting nasty out there

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

More showers than forecast on the radar? Would live a streamer to set up now it's cold enough. 

Yes Jade and Cwmro lets hope these showers increase in size and depth as the night goes on not enough omph to get lying snow atm.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
12 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

I'll pay your mortgage off/ rent if we get 5-15cm at lower levels in SE Wales. In fact I'd buy us all a drink on here if we get even a centimetre!

5 years this January since last settling snow here. That's worse than our record in the 90s! Get the feeling we only stand a chance when we have entrenched cold- 0 or below and plenty of thickness/well sub zero DPs/ all the other ingredients. 

I wish I had your optimism @Jayfromcardiff! Watch the beacons and valleys suck the intensity out of these showers and leave us in the sleet zone!

Excuse my inner Scrooge. Just that I've purposely given up on snow chances now unless everything ticks the box!

This is a complex set up Rhys - this doesn't include what we are having now - and you should see snow from some of these showers tonight as they are coming right through wales to the south coast - but SUNDAY the chart is listed for - complicated picture - front comes in from the south west, starts as snow, if it's further south could be all snow in Wales - if it's on it's projected course it could very well be snow to sleet to rain - but here's the complication, it looks like the front might peel back with Wales on the favourable side of the low dragging the cold air back in - turning the rain back to sleet to snow - so a very good chance all in Wales will do very well out of this system - and some places will very well hit the sweet spot and possibly get a foot to two feet even in drifts - hopefully the freeze will continue then onwards and the snow will lay for sometime to come - That's the plan - let's see if mother nature wants to give us that eh!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

check the radar out right now - seems out of the whole of the UK - we seem to be getting the best of this weather right now - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted
4 minutes ago, andymusic said:

This is a complex set up Rhys - this doesn't include what we are having now - and you should see snow from some of these showers tonight as they are coming right through wales to the south coast - but SUNDAY the chart is listed for - complicated picture - front comes in from the south west, starts as snow, if it's further south could be all snow in Wales - if it's on it's projected course it could very well be snow to sleet to rain - but here's the complication, it looks like the front might peel back with Wales on the favourable side of the low dragging the cold air back in - turning the rain back to sleet to snow - so a very good chance all in Wales will do very well out of this system - and some places will very well hit the sweet spot and possibly get a foot to two feet even in drifts - hopefully the freeze will continue then onwards and the snow will lay for sometime to come - That's the plan - let's see if mother nature wants to give us that eh!

I'm happy to hope for something! I'm just in full-on 'avoid disappointment' mode what with the snow drought we've had- just can't remember a knife edge event going in the favour of those of us at near sea level! Even the falls at the turn of the decade were a lot more certain. 

Anyway, I'll certainly be keeping an eye out- and the beers are on me if we do get anything substantial!

Have had a bit of proper snow over the last hour- but no settling as of yet!

Posted
19 minutes ago, andymusic said:

With experience Andy this looks like a wet snow situation plenty of wet snow turning back to rain turning back to snow event in South Wales as the winds switches back to a North west wind with high ground central Wales and North Wales blizzard conditons for at least 8hrs.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

With experience Andy this looks like a wet snow situation plenty of wet snow turning back to rain turning back to snow event in South Wales as the winds switches back to a North west wind with high ground central Wales and North Wales blizzard conditons for at least 8hrs.

all on a knife edge - the current in term lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard
48 minutes ago, RhysWales said:

Thank you for the offer of paying my mortgage/ rent off... but i don’t have my own house.... i’m three nearly six ??

• Like 1

Posted

We had a bit of sleet with some big flakes of snow in about 30 mins ago, looks like there are gonna be more showers heading our way here in Barry and we usually get nowt!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely hammering with snow here in Tredegar.  Roads are treacherous.

Posted

The Irish sea has turned into a right SNOW MACHINE - had a slow start last night - but boy has it made up for it today so far and loads more to come - a TRAIN LOAD:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
Just now, andymusic said:

The Irish sea has turned into a right SNOW MACHINE - had a slow start last night - but boy has it made up for it today so far and loads more to come - a TRAIN LOAD:cold:

Showers just seem to die out Andy before they reach Cardiff. So frustrating, plus it’s been too warm all day here for snow anyway! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Finally snowing here now woo!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Had loads of showers through the day just no intensity and length of time same as it is now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Snowing heavily in Cwmbach, Aberdare and by the looks of the radar, plenty more beefy showers coming in a line from the Irish Sea to the Cynon Valley! 

Posted
1 minute ago, JamesL said:

Snowing heavily in Cwmbach, Aberdare and by the looks of the radar, plenty more beefy showers coming in a line from the Irish Sea to the Cynon Valley! 

I'm on the same train James - should last for a good hour or so - lay some more inches down

Posted

snow in Pontardawe, enough for kids to make a few snowballs, happy days.....