Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

Will be down to nowcasting for me as the hills and mountains may take the sting out of things before it hits Crickhowell

Posted
3 minutes ago, SnowStorm(Jamie) said:

Latest snow graphic from the Met Office:

meto.thumb.jpg.576b8f68e1a3c2af1f06f7e4d72d6b5f.jpg

yep that looks good too - plus latest lunchtime bbc forecasts - snow plastered across Wales for tonight and tomorrow - and both forecasts still undecided about impact for sunday - so we won't know that till Saturday or even nowcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the SNOW shovel out the garage last used about 4 - 5 years ago and the sledge has been dusted off and cleaned ready to be tethered to the husky lol

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, andymusic said:

yep that looks good too - plus latest lunchtime bbc forecasts - snow plastered across Wales for tonight and tomorrow - and both forecasts still undecided about impact for sunday - so we won't know that till Saturday or even nowcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the SNOW shovel out the garage last used about 4 - 5 years ago and the sledge has been dusted off and cleaned ready to be tethered to the husky lol

Won't need a shovel if we only get 2cm lol.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Won't need a shovel if we only get 2cm lol.

can never tell what we are gonna get - always be prepared - knew my boy scout training would come in handy lol

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

My local forecast has changed from heavy snow to sleet and rain in the last half hour ????

Posted

and mine from heavy snow all day to a mixture of light and heavy but its snow forecasted none the less and its a great start to winter 2017/18

• Like 1

Posted

I'd like to think we will all get a pasting of snow however I think cardiff and surrounding areas are going to struggle. Andy will do ok as he has elevation but other than that I think it could be disappointing for the south on Friday. Sunday still to be decided Meto sem to think its going to be way too far north but they have been wrong before.

Edited by djwayne

Posted

Looking at the temperatures in Scotland and Ireland at the moment I don' think they r as cold as forecast to b, so I can c a few us at low levels a bit dissapointed come tomorrow afternoon

Posted
1 minute ago, djwayne said:

I'd like to think we will all get a pasting of snow however I think cadiff and surrounding areas are going to struggle. Andy will do ok as he has elevation but other than that I think it could be disappointing for the south on Friday. Sunday still to be decided Meto sem to think its going to be way too far north but they have been wrong before.

Not sure I'm totally guaranteed - but in marginal situations I sometimes do ok - Beacons are gonna get a pasting - so sledging up there shortly should be fun for anyone wanting to - although if I remember previously, they had a major parking problem once the snow had dumped which caused horrendous problems - maybe they could invest in some multi storey "Arma" parking - out of the way - not to spoil the scenery to cover for this problem - it might be a regular problem they get this year

Posted
2 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

Looking at the temperatures in Scotland and Ireland at the moment I don' think they r as cold as forecast to b, so I can c a few us at low levels a bit dissapointed come tomorrow afternoon

patience - the cold 850's are still coming in - they will be south of the uk by early Friday morning - most showers will be wintry/snowy by then

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, andymusic said:

patience - the cold 850's are still coming in - they will be south of the uk by early Friday morning - most showers will be wintry/snowy by then

I'm saying it how I c It, temps r not as cold as they thought it would b and the forecast has gone from snow to sleet and rain for my area which tells me it's not as cold as forecast. The higher u r the better but low levels in my opinion will only c sleet or rain, I hope I'm wrong but that' that's wot I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters

Looks like things have been downgraded a bit forecasting sleet all day now instead. Wonder whether the BBC think the dewpoints aren't cold enough for snow as they are still forecasting air temps to be 1 degrees which should be cool enough which might suggest the upper air temps are not as cold as they thought they might be as @freeze for allis saying. But there is still time for things to change though there is still potential for Saturday and Sunday as well so it's not game over. Look on the bright side at least it isn't mild,dull and drizzly and it will at least feel seasonal. Also could be that the colder air is taking longer than expected to arrive to so just wait and see :D

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
6 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Looks like things have been downgraded a bit forecasting sleet all day now instead. Wonder whether the BBC think the dewpoints aren't cold enough for snow as they are still forecasting air temps to be 1 degrees which should be cool enough which might suggest the upper air temps are not as cold as they thought they might be as @freeze for allis saying. But there is still time for things to change though there is still potential for Saturday and Sunday as well so it's not game over. Look on the bright side at least it isn't mild,dull and drizzly and it will at least feel seasonal. Also could be that the colder air is taking longer than expected to arrive to so just wait and see :D

Tbh I'd rather the mild dull damp weather to freezing cold rain ??? but I also think someone is trying to make a fool out of me cos I've just checked again and now heavy snow is forecast for my area.  I give up, if the forecasters don't know wot they r doing wot chance have we got ?? I think its a case of stick my head outside and c for myself lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

The BBC went from forecasting heavy snow to just sleet and rain for tomorrow now while the Meto forecast a mixture of rain, sleet and snow for my location. I don't think they really know whats going to happen in any exact location to be honest so I wouldn't take those forecasts too serious, I've not known them to be that accurate in these situations on a local basis previously. Just see what happens overnight and tomorrow, we may yet get a nice surprise. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
8 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

Tbh I'd rather the mild dull damp weather to freezing cold rain ??? but I also think someone is trying to make a fool out of me cos I've just checked again and now heavy snow is forecast for my area.  I give up, if the forecasters don't know wot they r doing wot chance have we got ?? I think its a case of stick my head outside and c for myself lol

Yeah this stuff is notoriously difficult to forecast so there might be some surprises for some people yet. It's already snowing in NI,Scotland,Yorkshire etc. so the conditions are clearly ripe for snow just keep an eye on the radar i'd say and see what you get really. Edit : Pretty much what @DeepSnow said really.

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
7 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

yep - that's the best way, radar and out the window lamppost watching lol - gfs has been steady over the past few days bringing the 850s down low enough for the whole of the UK but they aren't gonna be right on the south coast till tonight/midnight at least - so we are in the transfer from mildish to bone chilling cold - don't worry by tomoz it will feel below freezing across Wales - anyone thinking of doing an all nighter tonight - might be worth doing - we'll see how hefty the showers are doing as they come in on radar - have the coffee standing by or match sticks lol

• Like 1

Posted

Temps will fall away and dewpoints are already dropping around 1 degreee at the moment in my area and they are only going down. Lampost watching at its finest would be my usual comment but as it won't be ariving until the small hours I will be in the land of nod hoping for a suprise when I wake up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I have VentuSky, Netweather Radar and #uksnowmap open.

Radar showing rain in N Wales but being reported as hail

Posted
46 minutes ago, andymusic said:

Not sure I'm totally guaranteed - but in marginal situations I sometimes do ok - Beacons are gonna get a pasting - so sledging up there shortly should be fun for anyone wanting to - although if I remember previously, they had a major parking problem once the snow had dumped which caused horrendous problems - maybe they could invest in some multi storey "Arma" parking - out of the way - not to spoil the scenery to cover for this problem - it might be a regular problem they get this year

Slightly off topic - anyone read on IC Wales how the police are going to target motorists parking on the road near Pen Y Fan . Surely there's better things to do for them than harass people taking their kids out sledging as long as its obviously not  dangerous for other motorists or causing a jam.  How hard would it be for the council to tarmac the verge 6 foot either side of the a470 at the summit to allow better parking - even charge for the parking everyones a winner.

Posted

latest gfs for sunday into Monday

gfs-2-66.png?12

gfs-2-78.png?12

gfs-2-84.png?12

gfs-2-90.png?12

looking better again - a little mild air gets in soo might effect some but somewhere still looking like they are gonna get pasted

a major % of the UK covered in white on snow accumulation charts on this run too

Edited by andymusic