Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
46 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

I think Sunday's track of the slider is still open to review South looking at the trends of the last couple nwp runs. I think it will eventually settle on a track that takes it through the Bristol Channel and so 50 miles north of it will be snow. 

A different set up this time, but that's what happened in the famous blizzard of 1982: the low pressure system tracked through the Bristol Channel, resulting in -3°C in Cardiff and mountains of snow across South Wales while to the south, even just across the water in Weston, the mild sector moved in and it became very wet rather than white.

Bank.png.d9e3a290f486aa09dbf93aa784cc7ef

The Netweather radar's prediction for Sunday.

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
42 minutes ago, Jackfrost said:

A different set up this time, but that's what happened in the famous blizzard of 1982: the low pressure system tracked through the Bristol Channel, resulting in -3°C in Cardiff and mountains of snow across South Wales while to the south, even just across the water in Weston, the mild sector moved in and it became very wet rather than white.

Bank.png.d9e3a290f486aa09dbf93aa784cc7ef

The Netweather radar's prediction for Sunday.

That's exactly where I expect it to settle and tbh the green tinge along the south coast of Wales will be pink by the early hours of Sunday morning :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Funny how warnings are out for Western Wales however most of the PPN forecast is for North/Mid& East Wales thursday night/friday

Posted
7 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Funny how warnings are out for Western Wales however most of the PPN forecast is for North/Mid& East Wales thursday night/friday

I'm sure you'll see it first as it has to pass your location. Hopefully we all get a covering of snow.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

Don’t worry too much about the precip forecasts with convection, temp contrasts showers could pop up anywhere hence wide warning* area! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

Will be much happier when we get to tommorow evenings runs and then Saturdays. Been snow starved for to long now for it all to be a non event. Fingers crossed for all of us that we get some snow 

I think all said & done somewhere in North Wales at moderate elevation will get 30cms by the time the sliders been through ( this includes the earlier convective showers )

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Capel Curig always attracts the PPN

• Like 1

Posted

That notspot over the Valleys and Cardiff which has been present on every run over the last few days has given me a complex. Not that it's particularly worrying me but, like with a beautiful painting, you simply don't leave a small part of it unfinished. :closedeyes:

image.png

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 1

Posted

Breaking News.....Slider low is sliding up and down....still to early to worry about it! 

Posted

latest euro4

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Th 07.12.2017 18 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 00 GMT

cracking chart

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 06 GMT

and another

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 12 GMT

Rain/Snowfall EURO4 Fr 08.12.2017 18 GMT

I normally find the beeb use these charts and fill them - in other words exaggerate them somewhat - so the euro4s can sometimes look a little underwhelming but in reality produce even better than they show

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

I'm still sticking to my thoughts of last night with further corrections south over the next 36 hours. 

Overnight runs have moved the slider south and west by around 50 miles bringing huge swathes of mid and north wales into the firing line. 

And thats not forgetting the frequent snow showers hitting the same areas tonight and tomorrow. 

Somewhere in wales (and with very modest elevation) will exceed 20cms (8"). However exactly where that will be is still to be decided. 

All in all a very positive outlook for snow lovers in our snow starved part of the uk. 

Posted

This looks poor for the Far south and west of Wales i must say!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Marcus_surfer said:

This looks poor for the Far south and west of Wales i must say!

take it with a slight pinch of salt - can't see showers not hitting you as well Marcus - as I said these charts tend to be slightly conservative and i'm willing to bet the falls will be wider felt than that

Posted
Just now, andymusic said:

take it with a slight pinch of salt - can't see showers not hitting you as well Marcus - as I said these charts tend to be slightly conservative and i'm willing to bet the falls will be wider felt than that

time to man your radars now - keep an eye on reports further north especially ireland

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

yes will be all down to watching that radar...waiting for met office warning update. Looks like they will focus more on mid and east wales though. The mountains are going to get hammered i reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

Meto update is out and pretty much the same as yesterday for us