Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

I know snow accumalations is pointless talking about it at this range 

(one foot in places)but with north by north west winds ,puts Wales right in the firing line on Thursday night Friday Saturday image.thumb.png.6e278a7136a6de7a5903fe221eef94d6.png

• Like 3

Posted

gfs 00z/6z - ecm - ukmo - great output for Wales again - snow very much progged from Thursday through to Monday very very possible and beyond and only about 100 hours to wait now

gfs-2-102.png?6

gfs-2-120.png?6

gfs-2-126.png?6

• Like 3

Posted

gfs 18z - Wales 4 day snowmaggedon fest

gfs-2-102.png?18

gfs-2-108.png?18

gfs-2-114.png?18

gfs-2-120.png?18

gfs-2-144.png?18

falls of snow on the Friday mainly topped up bit by bit and hanging around due to the cold freezing 850 air temps till about Monday - thoroughly crisp and even

Gracie the Husky (who's nearly 1 or 7 in dog years lol) - MUSH!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Had to make a comment on Fridays fax chart as a interesting little beauty travels down north  to south straight across Wales bring more general snow, a little weather bomb LOL.image.thumb.png.b7cd75ca9f52df7b358bb93352ea09ca.png

• Like 3

Posted

Omg! So exciting! It's like 2010 all over again! Won't be able to check the weather till this evening,so will be doing it with one eye open afraid something has gone wrong! Hopefully I will be jumping for joy!! :D

Posted

Andys back on form - winter has started and typically my works night out in Cardiff this weekend :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow

My feet r firmly on the ground and for where I am I think it will b the chance of showers but nothing noteworthy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

So i've finally moved into the new house, and i'm back on the boards to find some possibly tasty weather coming up in the next 7 days.

All to play for. Just hope i'm not too far east for it to hit me. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

Hi All.

New to the forum & reading from a travel perspective. So this week BBC say no your guys say yes. 

Traveling to Manchester Friday what's my chances? 

Thanks all.

good luck lol

Posted

You couldn't make it up! The last six runs or so have had a snow shield in force over Southeast Wales which just will not fill with those lovely white shadings, while even the Midlands and West Country are under a cloak of snow. Thank goodness it won't turn it out like that. We won't let it. :diablo:

image.thumb.png.bb398189166931c032961950b0c3e93d.png

Regardless, Sunday is a snowy old day across almost all of Wales.

image.thumb.png.f55090c163ae8becfc37345f888cf7b3.png

Edited by Jackfrost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It would be nice to see a pembrokeshire dangler set up and push well inland friday/saturday with some heavy snow showers, asking too much now

Posted

Well unlike last weeks cold snap this one looks much more productive for more snow and much colder uppers the right side of marginal for low ground.

It did snow on low ground last Thursday from a light snow shower.

Posted

Nortern blocking looks nailed on with LPS trying to fetch milder air from the west,come monday ,very cold frigid air in place by then so 50 miles correction west and its game on..back to here and now unstable cold air in place and asyou said north facing and west Wales could well have a pasting.Don"t you just love the snow charts with Wales covered in red bar SWales nothing lol. image.thumb.png.295bb9248806090681a6fc7fbac46a1e.pngOur screaming North wind with perfect streamers set up in place met.96.png

Posted

bit late today but gfs 12z - OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

DIOLCH YN FAWR - in WALES

Starting Thursday/Friday - cold is now looking set up with reloads for a week or so plus the gfs still teases us at the end of the run with even colder air from an easterly - all in all an amazing run - UKMO on the money with the slider too - ECM fairly good too - but all models getting the cold in and playing around with varying amouunts of cold and snow!

84hrs and counting

gfs-2-84.png?12

sunday from slider

gfs-2-144.png?12

Monday morning snow fun

gfs-2-162.png?12

the potential after that is enormous - this winter is sizing up to be very different! - ENJOY

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Probably the most interesting model watching since 2010 i must admit. Interesting times ahead

• Like 2

Posted

Hard not to get excited when the arch-mildmuck lord forecasts snow widely in Wales! Based on this expect up to 20cm widely across Inland Sir Gâr, Penfro, Ceredigion, gwynedd, ynys môn, conwy, Dinbych, Fflint and Wrecsam and Powys. Even South Wales should see a few inches with northern and western Valleys fairing better. 

Bring it on :D 

904DE9B3-A1DA-4703-9113-4279D66DAF21.png

Edited by Cymro
  • Like 2

Posted

meto nicely on board too (seems some in the model thread complaining that the bbc aren't on board) - I'm sure they are with the following from the met for the weekend

UK Outlook for Saturday 9 Dec 2017 to Monday 18 Dec 2017:

The UK will be subject to a cold arctic airflow this weekend, bringing plenty of sunny spells but also some snow showers. Any snow showers will be most frequent over northern and western parts, and perhaps the east coast, but at times may become more widespread. Strong winds will affect all regions, with gales in exposed coasts in the north and east; feeling very cold in the wind. We will also see a widespread increase in overnight frost and ice. This cold and windy weather is likely to stay in place for a time, perhaps with some brief milder interludes in the south, with frontal systems bringing a mix of rain, sleet and snow. There are signs that the slow-moving and blocked weather pattern is likely to remain in place.

and this isn't too shabby either further on into xmas and the new year

UK Outlook for Tuesday 19 Dec 2017 to Tuesday 2 Jan 2018:

There is low confidence as to which weather pattern will dominate into the second half of December. However, a theme of more slowly evolving and a blocked weather pattern looks the most likely scenario. This is likely to bring a mixture of colder, drier periods and shorter lived milder, wetter, windier interludes. Snow is likely at times especially in more northern and central areas. Overall, temperatures will probably be below the average, but with some brief milder interludes.

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Jackfrost said:

You couldn't make it up! The last six runs or so have had a snow shield in force over Southeast Wales which just will not fill with those lovely white shadings, while even the Midlands and West Country are under a cloak of snow. Thank goodness it won't turn it out like that. We won't let it. :diablo:

image.thumb.png.bb398189166931c032961950b0c3e93d.png

Regardless, Sunday is a snowy old day across almost all of Wales.

image.thumb.png.f55090c163ae8becfc37345f888cf7b3.png

if we don't get at least one flake from this I'll eat my hat and put my husky in the sledge and pull her along instead lol (adding some wheels of course!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

So what are peeps thoughts this morning?? We need the EC to come in line for me....South East Wales not looking so great in my opinion ?. Set up like this usually result in the showers hitting the west coast of Wales, get eaten up my mountains in Mid Wales or running through the Cheshire gap and missing us to the East!! Actually apart from a front approaching from the south west in to cold embedded air....I don't know what set up is best for South Eastern Wales counties...any ideas?

Cheers

WW

Posted
19 minutes ago, WINTRY WALES said:

So what are peeps thoughts this morning?? We need the EC to come in line for me....South East Wales not looking so great in my opinion ?. Set up like this usually result in the showers hitting the west coast of Wales, get eaten up my mountains in Mid Wales or running through the Cheshire gap and missing us to the East!! Actually apart from a front approaching from the south west in to cold embedded air....I don't know what set up is best for South Eastern Wales counties...any ideas?

Cheers

WW

Sliding Low from the North West could be good if angle and trajectory are favourable. The forecast lows on Sunday / Monday looked a little too North for us to be on the cold Northern side therefore suffering from warm sector air. Ideally we want to see that carried further South by the jet before tracking Easterly putting us firmly on the cold side. If the Atlantic blocking ridge moves a little further West it will put us in the firing line for sliders like this, channel lows or NW steamer opportunities. Hoping for upgrades ahead of next week!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, WINTRY WALES said:

Cheers

WW

a sneaky north westerly can produce for the south east as the showers come in from Ceredigion bay and then sneak underneath the beacons in the south east - sliders are good too as long as the freezing temps are in place, but best of all are really the freezing temps from an easterly set up high, then a low from the south west attempts to bump up against it, that is usually when we get a dumping in the valleys and Cardiff/Newport - but each scenario is different, just keep an eye on radar on the day and watch what happens