Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Anybody else somewhat annoyed by MET office warnings for Wales? Very conservative given further eastern track of ophelia...I fear tomorrow will be highly dangerous across large swathes of Wales and nobody is prepared!! 

Posted

Da iawn Derek yn poeni am bawb sy'n syrffio! Whare teg Derek, he cares a lot about the surf.....why are BBC and Met taking this lightly? 

IMG_0023.PNG

Posted

Incredible and weird sky this morning out there. So dark. All building and street lights piercing through the gloom at 10.30am but no rainfall around.

Guess it must be the result of Ophelia and maybe some Saharan sand thrown in the mix from the Southerly flow?

Posted

Howling in Tenby now, really picking up in last 20mins...

Sent home from work in Pembroke at 11am, so County Council must be pretty confident about expected impacts.

Swell kicking in now, too. This afternoon's high-tide is going to be spectacular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

All schools on Anglesey also closing this afternoon, with both Menai and Britannia Bridges set to close at 2.30pm

Posted

Schools in Gwynedd also closing. Sunny but breezy on Cardiff... 

Posted

All Pembrokeshire schools now closed, i do fear for my rattly old sash windows when it's like this . Probably the worst winds here since 2004.

Posted

Hello All I hope everyone survived Ophelia ok and now it seems we are in for another bashing this weekend!!!! 

I did go down to Freshwater West beach on Monday afternoon. 

I picked the least treeless route I could and drove down to the beach from the top Castlemartin side. I had a que of 4 cars following me!!! and when I got to the beach there were Campervans in the main carpark!!! 

I parked on the hill next to a bit of a dune and could still feel the car shaking. 

I went prepared as I read that the windchill from the winds would be in single digits. I wore my full winter beachcombing gear, insulated waterproof trousers and waterproof jacket. I already have a waterproof camera and took the monopod to help me hold the camera steady and also an old tea towel to keep the lens clean. 

AWESOME is the only way to describe it. At 2:30pm (2hrs before high tide) the waves were just about reaching the back of the beach. The horizon was just a huge mass of waves and looked so high. I found a dip overlooking the beach (well back from the edge) where I could have some shelter and spent the most exhilarating next couple of hours in awe of mother nature. 

I used up 2x 8gb cards and 2 camera batteries videoing and taking pictures. No rain just wind, alternating between glorious sunshine, grey clouds and rainbows. 

The wind was gusting I'm guessing at least 70mph at times and my friend who lives a mile up the valley overlooking Freshwest said her anemometer maxed out at 75mph at approx 4:30pm. 

I left just about high tide 4:45pm as I could see some ominous black clouds headed our way. 

There was no surge as such just immense power pushing the waves in. The splash did just reach the road above the beach and I watched more than one person get wet on the slipway from the carpark down to the beach. 

Ive added a few pics (I hope they work) and managed to get a great video of a backwash that moved the whole length of the beach, I'm not sure how to link it though?

59e725bccddae_ScreenShot2017-10-16at17_20_23.thumb.png.2bccc5ec51f46b28dbca1050da262286.png

IMG_6910.thumb.JPG.477422bbf62d37877a4e2ef4654154aa.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.10.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.19.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.20.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.52.10.png

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Jen Beachcomber said:

Hello All I hope everyone survived Ophelia ok and now it seems we are in for another bashing this weekend!!!! 

I did go down to Freshwater West beach on Monday afternoon. 

I picked the least treeless route I could and drove down to the beach from the top Castlemartin side. I had a que of 4 cars following me!!! and when I got to the beach there were Campervans in the main carpark!!! 

I parked on the hill next to a bit of a dune and could still feel the car shaking. 

I went prepared as I read that the windchill from the winds would be in single digits. I wore my full winter beachcombing gear, insulated waterproof trousers and waterproof jacket. I already have a waterproof camera and took the monopod to help me hold the camera steady and also an old tea towel to keep the lens clean. 

AWESOME is the only way to describe it. At 2:30pm (2hrs before high tide) the waves were just about reaching the back of the beach. The horizon was just a huge mass of waves and looked so high. I found a dip overlooking the beach (well back from the edge) where I could have some shelter and spent the most exhilarating next couple of hours in awe of mother nature. 

I used up 2x 8gb cards and 2 camera batteries videoing and taking pictures. No rain just wind, alternating between glorious sunshine, grey clouds and rainbows. 

The wind was gusting I'm guessing at least 70mph at times and my friend who lives a mile up the valley overlooking Freshwest said her anemometer maxed out at 75mph at approx 4:30pm. 

I left just about high tide 4:45pm as I could see some ominous black clouds headed our way. 

There was no surge as such just immense power pushing the waves in. The splash did just reach the road above the beach and I watched more than one person get wet on the slipway from the carpark down to the beach. 

Ive added a few pics (I hope they work) and managed to get a great video of a backwash that moved the whole length of the beach, I'm not sure how to link it though?

59e725bccddae_ScreenShot2017-10-16at17_20_23.thumb.png.2bccc5ec51f46b28dbca1050da262286.png

IMG_6910.thumb.JPG.477422bbf62d37877a4e2ef4654154aa.JPG

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.10.04.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.19.03.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.20.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 18.52.10.png

Looks awesome! Glad it was worth it!

My feeling, looking back, was that the South Pembs/Carms coastline had a lucky escape with the smallish tide. A bigger tide and there would certainly have been some significant flooding/erosion.

Rinse and repeat on Saturday morning, as you say.

30ft+ swell forecast!

Edited by benb

Posted
1 hour ago, benb said:

Looks awesome! Glad it was worth it!

My feeling, looking back, was that the South Pembs/Carms coastline had a lucky escape with the smallish tide. A bigger tide and there would certainly have been some significant flooding/erosion.

Rinse and repeat on Saturday morning, as you say.

30ft+ swell forecast!

There was further up the coast....  but I'd love for you to see the video I managed to get I think you'd like it, seriously not after the likes and don't know how to link it :cc_confused: but if you look up beachcombing freshwater west on Facebook you'll see it... I was so lucky to get it  :)

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

• Like 1

Posted

A  cooler spell by the weekend with nortern europe seeking some  snow our first norterly blast  by day5 Worth bookmaking this link to gfs new snow charts https://t.co/ciSHVwgJMusnow_prob_222.jpg?2017102300

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Well, that's the first snow symbol I've seen in a forecast for a Welsh location this season!

59fb7db85a2ff_ScreenShot2017-11-02at20_17_14.thumb.jpg.d7d683e12d6b44eadba6caaf9cca613f.jpg 

Edited by Jackfrost

Posted
On 02/11/2017 at 20:19, Jackfrost said:

Well, that's the first snow symbol I've seen in a forecast for a Welsh location this season!

59fb7db85a2ff_ScreenShot2017-11-02at20_17_14.thumb.jpg.d7d683e12d6b44eadba6caaf9cca613f.jpg 

Sunday should see a coveriing over high ground with a brisk cold north wind image.thumb.png.a28ff010d6b41c17cb0c804f08040a71.pngimage.thumb.png.7c2cf5f8f3c2e5849c7959b86b465940.png

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Sunday should see a coveriing over high ground with a brisk cold north wind image.thumb.png.a28ff010d6b41c17cb0c804f08040a71.pngimage.thumb.png.7c2cf5f8f3c2e5849c7959b86b465940.png

• Like 1

Posted

With colder than normal pacific with the effect of El Nina  GENERAL AGREEMENT OF A COLDER THAN AVERAGE NOVEBER met update There is an increasing signal that blocked patterns will become more dominant throughout this period. This will bring a greater chance of colder and drier conditions under the influence of high pressure. There will still be spells of rain and showers as frontal systems move across the UK, but these will be interspersed with drier, colder and brighter days. There is also an increasing risk of snow at times, more especially in the north. Temperatures will initially be near or slightly below normal but with an increased chance of below normal temperatures later in the period, with an increased likelihood of overnight frosts.

Posted

The first sleet showers of the month this morning earliest of the decade,flakes of wet snow just before I got up looking though the window.

3c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

It was snowing in my village, Deiniolen (220m asl) this morning, snow has settled above 800m.

Edited by Liam Ellis
  • Like 1