Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

I'm currently home in North West Wales, just had thunder and lightning and wet snow. 

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like tomorrow morning could herald some fun lol

17032206_2112.gif

17032212_2112.gif

Edited by andymusic

Indeed wintry precipitation possible for tomorrow, and by that I mean cold rain. :D

I was up early this morning and there was some wet snow around 6.30, all subsequent showers have been rain.

Posted

just like the rest of winter it seems a bit of a total bust - ah well eyes turn towards spring/summer now and storms and maybe next winter might do better

Posted

A good covering of snow this morning but it's rapidly melting. 

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

Very rare  to see these snow charts this time of year ,i get annoyed with garden centres selling bedding plants this time of year,and to see millions of people wasting money on bedding plants 00_201_preciptype.png?cb=189then on further 12_222_preciptype.png?cb=481:rofl:

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

Tuesday /Wednesday a white out  lol12_87_preciptype.png?cb=61112_120_preciptype.png?cb=611

Edited by keithlucky

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Plenty of snow in NW Snowdonia already overnight on the hilltops. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

The difference in winter precipitation totals between 2015/6 and 2016/7 for this area are quite significant.  The closest stats I can find to my location show rainfall totals between 1st November 2015 and 27th February 2016 to be 334mm.  For the same period 2016/2017 the total is just 148mm, or 186mm less in just four months.  That's equivalent to a loss of around two months average rain in four.  The low rainfall amounts have continued through March and April and even though we are in one of the statisically wettest areas in the country.  Although drought conditions here are almost unheard of it could happen if these rainfall figures continue through May.  I can already see lower than average silage yields and some very dry uplands in the summer.  Not sure how the much drier south-east is fairing but I don't think they've had much rain either....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

The forecast was 'breezy in the morning' from most sources for Shell Island in North Wales but what ensued were gale force winds from around 1am through till 10am which destroyed many a tent including ours in the night. 

I was battling sustained winds of around 20mph and gusts at 45mph so a rough night. The god send was no rain and it was fairly mild compared to Friday night.

Sadly we left early with damaged tents so a little annoyed with the forecast today especially as it was bright and warm in sun but wind was too bad to even think about re setting up.

Posted

Was lucky enough to spend the entire afternoon at Stackpole including a walk around the Bosherston Lily Ponds.   As if the scenery was not magnificent enough the weather was practically Meditteranean.  Wall to wall sunshine with light air or no breeze at all, some distant white cumulus just to make the horizon interesting, and excellent visibility.   Don't know what shade temperature would have been officially recorded, probably around 16c, but academic due to the strength of the sunshine.  And they say tomorrow will be better than today....   Makes a nice change to be on the beneficial end of an easterly.  Ignoring the Bank Holiday, this was a great start to May in this part of the world anyway.

Posted

I am sure I will forget this sequence of fine sunny days quickly enough when the weather starts to throw the usual sh*t at us in due course but for the time being this is the best start to May I can remember and long may it continue.  Today was a beautiful day with unbroken warm sunshine, and a fresh north easterly breeze - enough to avoid overheating but not to spoil the early summer-like feel.   What a lovely time to be in west Wales with almost everything bursting into bloom including hedgerows full of bluebells everywhere.  Nature has a way of balancing all the good days with bad ones so I expect we will be in for some real downpours eventually - probably mid July.....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

Looks to be some beefy showers and possibly some lightning coming across tfor South wales. :).It's really humid and muggy out there too. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Clair_Witch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

Sat outside before the rain started here in Cardiff Bay. I'm pretty sure I could hear a few rumbles. 

A few showers here at times today, some heavy but have no seen any lightning or heard any thunder. Even though lightning detector suggests it is not that far away.

Edited by J10

Posted

Rain - all day - not a break even for five minutes.   Probably will be the same tomorrow.  Was I really musing about possible water shortages recently?   Talk about balancing out the averages - well, I didn't have to wait too long for that to come true....

Posted

Grey and drizzly start to the day with not much hope of any immediate change.  This follows a cloudy and windy day yesterday with quite strong gusts at times - not at all similar to what was being reported widely and enjoyed elsewhere.  This south-westerly derived weather pattern is not bringing anything summer-like (yet) and I wonder if this is because we are on the eastern edge of the Preseli Hills.  Perhaps things will improve as the high pressure moves NE and the wind turns more southerly....

Posted

Set off from Snowdonia back to the Midlands earlier this morning in drizzle and thick hill fog. It cleared around Bala. Returned this afternoon to find sea fog rolling inland from the Llyn. Wide fluctuations in temperatures.

Posted

Stark contrast in temperatures today. 13 in Aberdaron and 25 in Betws-y-coed. Sea fog was the problem but it couldn't quite manage to roll in over the Snowdon range.

IMG_20170524_151744483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170524_151716674_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170524_153651152_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
On 24 May 2017 at 20:03, kar999 said:

Stark contrast in temperatures today. 13 in Aberdaron and 25 in Betws-y-coed. Sea fog was the problem but it couldn't quite manage to roll in over the Snowdon range.

IMG_20170524_151744483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170524_151716674_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170524_153651152_HDR.jpg

Great pics those.  I love the interaction between clouds and mountains.

I don't suppose the weather will get any better than today throughout the rest of the summer.  Strong unbroken sunshine and the temperature peaking at 28C.  I doubt this will be repeated very soon.  A quite strong, gusty and at times annoying breeze all day, though, continuing as I write this - probably more to do with the exposed position than anything else and lower down in the valley they may not have felt it at all....

• Like 1