Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Local hills here around 200m have a covering of snow this morning. Overnight snow showers here turned more to sleet/rain as it appears the flow off the Irish sea moderated dew points/temperatures.

That being said E/SE parts of the UK have done quite well out of this with some heavy snow yesterday and again this morning. 

There hasn't been a covering of snow here since 2013, even the winters of 2007/2008 give a dusting at one point.

Isolated wintry showers possible again tonight with the risk of Ice.

Posted

Latest GFS showing high pressure to NW and solid northerly for next weekend... worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 2

Posted

Think I mention this every year so apologies if i'm repeating myself. 

I seem to remember Feb half term to be quite productive for snow back in the day (80's), anybody else have similar memories?. So we have plenty of time left.

Also, there is zero sign of the Atlantic kicking in (something this winter will be remembered for, really very unusual) so it really does give us a great chance going forward. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Just on the edge of another snow shower here, main body of the shower missed to N and NE of Bleanau but the flakes outside my window were almost horizontal. I bet they wont touch the ground for some distance down the A470 :wallbash:

Posted

Much heavier showers now but of soft hail, not snow at present, (polysterene balls!) there is a strteam of showers running NE to SE down the Irish sea which seem to have Bleanau's name on them.

Posted
4 hours ago, benb said:

Latest GFS showing high pressure to NW and solid northerly for next weekend... worth keeping an eye on.

Given the chopping and changes on the models do you think this one solution will be any more likley to verify?  :aggressive:

Posted

Back to back heavy snow showers here the day rates much higher.

Slight covering,next shower getting close drifting off the roof in strong winds during the first shower especially very fine snow perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: freezing cold and lots of snow
12 minutes ago, EastAnglian said:

Given the chopping and changes on the models do you think this one solution will be any more likley to verify?  :aggressive:

They change so much I think anything is possible, 1 thing I've noticed over the years is b4 we have a good snowfall we'll always have these marginal snow events leading up to it a week or 2 b4 the main event happens. Fingers crossed it's 1 of those events b4 the main course lol

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

They change so much I think anything is possible, 1 thing I've noticed over the years is b4 we have a good snowfall we'll always have these marginal snow events leading up to it a week or 2 b4 the main event happens. Fingers crossed it's 1 of those events b4 the main course lol

Difficult to type but keeping my fingers crossed as well :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

have a feeling we'll see more showers in my neck of the woods this evening, but if we do, will they be snow? 

Posted
2 minutes ago, freeze for all said:

Just started snowing here 

:hi:Just stopped here in Blaenau, still more up stream on the radar.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

Heavy snow shower just passed through Cwmbach leaving a covering. 

• Like 1

Posted

The coverage this cold spell has had for the amount of snow that has fallen is crazy! Can you imagine if we had a really severe spell for a length of time with prolonged snow like what our parents/ grandparents had!(47/62) I think!!   

• Like 3

Posted

Just came back from rug y with my son and had a shock. Snow and sleet Bridgend.daughter rang to say it's snowing bad. Got to Nantymoel no problem main roads fine turned I to the cwm and that was that. Abandoned car as would not go any further. Snow and sheet ice. Worse than last night. Not looking forward to trying to move car at 5.30 am.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!

Some big flakes here now - nice line of showers coming right over my location !

Posted

About 2 to 3inches nearer 3 but not quite,that`ll do nicely for now.

Less cold air coming in around the high from now on temp -0.1c currently and now clearer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Streets like an ice rink this morning, the slight dusting overnight melted then froze and I could turn the wheel of the car when leaving for work and feel no grip at all, not great driving! 

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/01/2017 at 23:21, Cymro said:

Again I don't understand this comment if you look at climate averages maps of Uk regarding snowfall you will find that Wales does really well. Setups like these i.e Nwstly with convection off the irish sea with unstable airflow and precipitation pepping up just about anywhere delivers the best snowfalls in Wales....the MAd thread would have you believe the easterly is the holy grail...for south easterners and people in eastern uk yes but us in Wales not so much...easterlies are generally dry here! Chin up its going to be great and I'm certainly looking forward to tomorrow evening in particular!! 

I disagree to be honest,where I live gets snow but only a 2 mins drive down they get sleet rain. Other than when the cold is in for a good few days then it clashes with weather coming across from Ireland does low areas get what I call snow.yes they may get flakes but that's not what they want. Last night for instance down Bridgend very wet snow/ sleet no sticking at all. Drove up the valleys and everywhere was ok until Nantymoel.even then. Only a little come up big hill and had to park car up as snow and ice.

Majority of south Wales doesn't do well in this set up for lying snow. Our big snows of years gone by have been cold air clashing with mild and dumping on Wales for hours. Sometimes you get bigger showers that hang about but even then it's high areas that get it. I myself find the snow a pain unless it blocks my car as got to try and drive to work.