IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

There's no snow around 300/400m either. Taken from the latest snowdon.webcam

IMG_6245.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Gales - active weather!!!

7°C here in Cardiff - been some heavy rain towards Caerphilly area - ground soaking. These temps will have to drop quite quickly later - but not holding out too much hope - a full day in work in Cardiff it is unless my daughter texts me lunch time to say it is snowing in the valleys - get home dad !

Edited by Fujita scale
  • Like 1

Posted

Heads of the valleys is clear right now on traffic cams too - so patience my friends is required here

nothing to report up at Pen y Fan - Storey Arms yet either

Edited by andymusic
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, andymusic said:

Heads of the valleys is clear right now on traffic cams too - so patience my friends is required here

nothing to report up at Pen y Fan - Storey Arms yet either

Here in Cardiff temperature is 7.6c

Dew points just crept up from 4.2 to 5.7c

So snow is out of the question right now but around midday we should start to see those numbers fall.

I will monitor dew points and report when they drop significantly and sustained

They along with temperature 2m will drop in heavier precipitation which until closer to the 0c for dew points is useless.

I suspect Beacons around midday for snow at height, Tredegar etc around 3/4pm  Cardiff 6/7pm 

i hope I'm late on all those and comes earlier

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, pyrotech said:

Here in Cardiff temperature is 7.6c

Dew points just crept up from 4.2 to 5.7c

So snow is out of the question right now but around midday we should start to see those numbers fall.

I will monitor dew points and report when they drop significantly and sustained

They along with temperature 2m will drop in heavier precipitation which until closer to the 0c for dew points is useless.

I suspect Beacons around midday for snow at height, Tredegar etc around 3/4pm  Cardiff 6/7pm 

i hope I'm late on all those and comes earlier

patience is needed - and surprises may just come sooner than we think - it's happened before and it'll happen again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather, wind, snow, heat, storms

I don't think the colder air is due to dig in until later this evening and then we will be left with transient wintry showers. I'm not holding out hope for where i live today. 

Mild blip over the weekend and then who knows after that...possible Easterly with more prolonged cold...then we can maybe get excited about ppn coming through as snow. 

• Like 3

Posted

For here the temperature just too high when the bulk of the precip comes in. Warm sector pushing too far North. 

Best I can hope for are a few snow showers this evening when the weather front pushes east

Edited by Cwmbran Eira

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold, thunder and lightning.

My met office app has updated to show sleet at 6pm and light snow showers this evening, that's an improvement on the heavy rain that was forecast.

Hoping we get a nice surprise after waiting so long.

Posted

5c and light rain in Lampeter, expecting wet snow/sleet this afternoon clearing to a cold evening with snow showers later tonight. As ever it could go either way anything from a whiteout to a damp squip!

Snow warning issued for Cardiff Airport:

Snow

Issued at:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 05:32 UTCValid from:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 13:00 UTCValid to:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 18:00 UTC

Issued at:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 05:32 UTC

Valid from:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 13:00 UTC

Valid to:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 18:00 UTC

SNOW OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED IS EXPECTED AT THE AIRFIELD. MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 0-1CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 1000M. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowtam said:

5c and light rain in Lampeter, expecting wet snow/sleet this afternoon clearing to a cold evening with snow showers later tonight. As ever it could go either way anything from a whiteout to a damp squip!

Snow warning issued for Cardiff Airport:

Snow

Issued at:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 05:32 UTCValid from:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 13:00 UTCValid to:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 18:00 UTC

Issued at:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 05:32 UTC

Valid from:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 13:00 UTC

Valid to:  Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 18:00 UTC

SNOW OR RAIN AND SNOW MIXED IS EXPECTED AT THE AIRFIELD. MODERATE SNOWFALL IS FORECAST, WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 0-1CM. SNOW TYPE WET. VISIBILITY IS NOT EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW 600M IN THE SNOWFALL, WITH A MINIMUM VISIBILITY OF 1000M. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO BE GREATER THAN 15KT WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF DRIFTING

I wonder what depth of drifts we'll get with 0-1cm snow depths! 3cm slush drift? LOL

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

LOL 1cm drifts. Positive if cardiff airport expect snow.

That's true. Still gives us some hope.

Made me laugh though. I was picturing Derick with his ruler measuring a drift against a curb. Not quite the same as 1982 with 12-15ft drifts. . hahahaha

Edited by Cwmbran Eira
  • Like 1

Posted

temperatures in Cardiff peaked at 10:02 this morning and seem to now be slowly dropping.

In Brecon temperatures peaked at 09:38 and dropped steadily since 

both have a long way to go but possibly on the right road

Posted

Hey all, been reading the posts for a while so thought id join in :)

Was 4 deg in Caerphilly when I left for work at 9am this morning and Cardiff felt quite tropical in comparison lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Wont be long before cold air starts cutting into this system during the afternoon allowing it to turn more wintry for some. 

Noticed this little feature on the Met Office fax charts moving in off the Irish sea tonight, should help increase shower activity:

metoffice faxchart.png

Looks like the Met Office are already starting to update the warnings, starting with todays system.

• Like 4

Posted

Grey and rainy in Pembroke, atm.

Hoping for enough on the Preselis for my boy's first sledge on Saturday morning...

Wishful thinking or are we in with a shout?

Posted

Rain turning to sleet up here at this height and the very top of bwlch mountain slightly white but very slight. If it gets heavier I would think it be white pretty quick.

Posted
2 minutes ago, benb said:

Grey and rainy in Pembroke, atm.

Hoping for enough on the Preselis for my boy's first sledge on Saturday morning...

Wishful thinking or are we in with a shout?

A fair chance of a covering with the showers this evening and overnight. Dew points should be favourable and showers there frequent for a time.

I hope he get to use that sledge

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: crisp frosty days in Winter

Rain turning to wet snow now in Bleanau, dewpoint and air temp still too high but flling now. Looking at the radar it looks like the precipitation will be away south and east by the time the cold air gets in.

Edited by EastAnglian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Currently 6.7c here and cold rain, looking forward to watching as the day goes on! Could always take a drive up the Bwlch if I get nothing down here.