Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
7 minutes ago, ronan said:

I think the time of interest for us all will be from around 4pm tomorrow evening. Fingers crossed anyway.

really? I would have thought tomrrow morning would be peak time, bbc app shows constant snow form 6am-3pm, night time thursday shows sleep for some reason

Posted
17 minutes ago, labane1977 said:

Is the Euro4 good for snow accumulations? Looks ok down here in cork if it is.

One of the better high res models.

• Like 1

Posted

Latest UKMO forecast seems to have downplayed the snow risk here - it's still good to see the chance there tonight, but tomorrow not looking as wintry as the previous forecast:

Regional forecast for Northern Ireland

Cold and quite windy on Thursday with further wintry showers.

This Evening and Tonight:

Further showers, heavy at times and turning increasingly to sleet and snow. It will be a cold night with strong westerly winds reaching gale force along the North Coast at first. Minimum Temperature 0 °C.

Thursday:

Sunny intervals and scattered wintry showers. Showers most frequent over west Tyrone with fewer showers and more sunshine over Country Down. Feeling bitterly cold with a fresh westerly wind. Maximum Temperature 5 °C.

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Wintry showers on Friday and it will be windy. Showers turning to sleet on Saturday and still breezy. Winds ease on Sunday, but cloudy with perhaps rain later.

Updated at: 1520 on Wed 11 Jan 2017

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/area/northern_ireland

Edited by SnowJon

Posted
4 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

Latest UKMO forecast seems to have downplayed the snow risk here - it's still good to see the chance there tonight, but tomorrow not looking as wintry as the previous forecast:

Regional forecast for Northern Ireland

Cold and quite windy on Thursday with further wintry showers.

This Evening and Tonight:

Further showers, heavy at times and turning increasingly to sleet and snow. It will be a cold night with strong westerly winds reaching gale force along the North Coast at first. Minimum Temperature 0 °C.

Thursday:

Sunny intervals and scattered wintry showers. Showers most frequent over west Tyrone with fewer showers and more sunshine over Country Down. Feeling bitterly cold with a fresh westerly wind. Maximum Temperature 5 °C.

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Wintry showers on Friday and it will be windy. Showers turning to sleet on Saturday and still breezy. Winds ease on Sunday, but cloudy with perhaps rain later.

Updated at: 1520 on Wed 11 Jan 2017

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/area/northern_ireland

latest video forcast on bbc site downplays to too, says 2-5cm above 100m, 5cm+ above 300m and smaller accumulations low levels

Nothing has changed. Their warning since yesterday mentioned accumulations of up to 2cm for low levels. It depends which areas do best with showers. The NW is best. Their warning for Friday has 2-4cm for Western areas. Plus the Irish Met has an orange warning, confidence is high for them to issue that 

• Like 1

Posted

Hey guys just lurking in here, currently living in East Sussex but just starting the process of moving over to Co Clare. Hope it's ok to lurk in here from time to time. Good luck all for tomorrow

• Like 7

Posted

I think the fact that forecasts are all over the place shows how hard the situation is to forecast never mind having confirmation of depths in certain areas.

The snow risk charts still look good, no matter what the automated forecasts are showing for individual areas.

We will have a period of 'Now Casting' coming up......so enjoy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I generally don't pay the accumulation charts much attention personally! Snow is hard to forecast and they amounts have been way off at times so I just take it as it comes. My daughter just saw the forecast and is hoping for a snow day tomorrow. I told her I wouldn't be counting on it :D. Sleet showing on the radar now. 

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, SnowJon said:

With winds from the NW, its no surprise the NW does better. The showers need to get all the way over our side and will lose intensity in the process. If the winds turn a little more NNW we will do better.

Lamp post watching at its best.

• Like 2

IMO the met office is being overly cautious with snow accumulations of up to 2cm for Thursday for Western and Northern areas. It's a blanket warning while their text forecast mentions West Tyrone seeing most and Down driest. Thursday looks snowier than Friday so strange totals for Friday are greater.

Friday Western areas 2-5cm while Eastern areas 2-4cm for low lying places.

Edited by Longtimelurker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Temp dropped 1.1c in 15mins after a shower, now 3.4c

Posted

Dry all day here, first shower was only 20mins ago :nea:Dewpoint of 0.1 here

7 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

No, I've just resigned myself to the fact that the Dublin snow shield is operating at 100%. Has been since 2010!

Good luck to you all, enjoy the sneachta! I might just hibernate as the jealousy might just kill me!

I wouldn't say 100% snow shield.  Maybe 85%. I think we may see a few flakes in Dublin but certainly nothing settling, I'd be very surprised at least. You'd never know with such an unstable flow. If I'm to pick a chart that might deliver something it'll be the HIRLAM 12Z FOR 9PM tomorrow eve.  Straws. Clutching?

Screenshot_20170111-180840.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, hammy_ire said:

I wouldn't say 100% snow shield.  Maybe 85%. I think we may see a few flakes in Dublin but certainly nothing settling, I'd be very surprised at least. You'd never know with such an unstable flow. If I'm to pick a chart that might deliver something it'll be the HIRLAM 12Z FOR 9PM tomorrow eve.  Straws. Clutching?

Screenshot_20170111-180840.png

Looks like a decent shout but the lack of precipitation north and west is confusing

Posted

Had some heavy hail showers here in antrim the past hour. Recently had a very very light snow shower and I mean light few small flakes and stopped. However its good to see.   Its bitter outside here. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, jello said:

Had some heavy hail showers here in antrim the past hour. Recently had a very very light snow shower and I mean light few small flakes and stopped. However its good to see.   Its bitter outside here. 

Good to hear Jello - hopefully the start of things to come - fingers crossed

Posted

Hello, not been on for a good few years but thought id pop my head round the door & say hi! Also waiting impatiently here, i got a full weeks groceries in earlier lol. Just in case :) 

Happy Lamppost Watching!! 

• Like 5

Posted

Absolute corker of a 12z ECM

Snow showers until Saturday, then dry and cold for a bit followed by a blizzard for SE Ireland and then the High retrogresses to Greenland to start the cycle all over again!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hey Gingercat! I had planned to get some delivered tomorrow morning but kinda worried in case the weather has more in store for us than expected. Wouldn't care about it being late but I'll be out of the house a while in the afternoon. Good to see you posting again :)