Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

18z GFS another downgrade for here. Don't know who to believe! 

At this range, stick to high resolution models like HIRLAM or Euro 4 and you will get a more intuitive picture of what awaits you!

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 3.5k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Victims of the 2017 Snow Blizzard Speak Out Some harrowing tales are emerging across the country this morning as the victims of the 2017 snow storm share their stories.  The whole of Norther

Just saw total accumulation maps (for next 48hrs) from latest euro4 model. Think I peed myself a little!

Guys - good luck with the snow potential over the next few days  cameras at the ready!

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe weather, tornadoes,intersting synopsis ,snow

Quite promising in the short term for the white stuff in many parts Thursday morning into the afternoon/evening 850's sub -8 country wide . Thickness <528 , DP's under zero. A number of subtle shortwaves moving down across the country. For a polar maritime airmass its as potent iv'e seen in years. 

Edited by rory o gorman
    • Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

9 hours ago, ronan said:

Link not working Sperrin?

Just realised after posting that it was from a 'rival' weather forecasting company so netweather must block links to their material.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 hour ago, Longtimelurker said:

Met office updates mentions prolonged snow on Thursday. Toys out of pram on model thread for next weeks Easterly

Yet the ECM still shows the Easterly. Bi polar in there.

Chances of snow from 9pm tonight through to Saturday am, the models have predicted this very well in my opinion.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening looks the most promising.

• Like 4
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Yet the ECM still shows the Easterly. Bi polar in there.

Chances of snow from 9pm tonight through to Saturday am, the models have predicted this very well in my opinion.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening looks the most promising.

Yep spot on it was always been forcasted to be a 2-3 day cold blast from the North with snow chances any of the days unlike some that keep beating the drum for 24hr cold snap, and as for the model thread attention seekers toys firmly out of the pram best to describe them  the best if it is they always seem to be from that same area in South and let and behold they have nothing to cry about as that low looks like turning to snow and they could see more snow than any of us, further ahead there better placed than all of us for the continently slack easterly feed and low temps keeping the snow around right to the end of the ecm run,  I give up what more do they want oh thats right 4ft deep snow and -30c rant over lol..:)

Posted

That wind was really strong all night. One thing for sure is if this wind keeps up then most of us will see blizzard conditions overnight and in to tomorrow. 

Posted
    18 minutes ago, booferking said:

Yep spot on it was always been forcasted to be a 2-3 day cold blast from the North with snow chances any of the days unlike some that keep beating the drum for 24hr cold snap, and as for the model thread attention seekers toys firmly out of the pram best to describe them  the best if it is they always seem to be from that same area in South and let and behold they have nothing to cry about as that low looks like turning to snow and they could see more snow than any of us, further ahead there better placed than all of us for the continently slack easterly feed and low temps keeping the snow around right to the end of the ecm run,  I give up what more do they want oh thats right 4ft deep snow and -30c rant over lol..:)

The laugh about it is and I've been on here since 2008 is that as u say if it's not snowing / stormy / thunderstorms / major wind event etc in London and SE then it's not happening anywhere. Some great posters in model thread but some whinging and gurning done also. Every run taken at face value. I haven't seen snow for nearly 2 winters now but it is what it is. Maybe that will change in next day or so. 

Good luck everyone for the white stuff !!

• Like 2
    Posted

No, I've just resigned myself to the fact that the Dublin snow shield is operating at 100%. Has been since 2010!

Good luck to you all, enjoy the sneachta! I might just hibernate as the jealousy might just kill me!

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

That wind is pretty raw! Raining here now. 

Posted

It's a bit Baltic in the wind out there. My wife has this flu thing kicking around so I'm taking time off to look after her. 

Fortunately I'll be at home to watch the snowfall. Fire lit already.

Posted

Don't like the bit in the met office forecast about snow away from the North Coast, hope my elevation helps or I'll be consumed with jealousy like Rochy!

Posted

lets hope this is correct and we all have a good covering :drinks:

17011306_1106.gif

Posted

I appreciate its an automated forecast but for my location its showing heavy symbols for 6hr period from Thursday evening into Friday.

Looking forward to it now.....just have no lamp post to watch.

Bitter cold today to

• Like 1
    Posted

Nice to see Met Eireann with an Orange warning. I would say the METO aren't far off an orange warning to.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Very cold, wintry weather from Wednesday evening onwards until Friday night. Showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur, with moderate accumulations to lower levels inland, more significant amounts on high ground, where there's a risk of drifting and blizzard conditions at times. Some scattered thunderstorms also.

Issued:

Wednesday 11 January 2017 11:00

Valid:

Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:00 to Friday 13 January 2017 18:00

• Like 2
    Posted
    27 minutes ago, ronan said:

Nice to see Met Eireann with an Orange warning. I would say the METO aren't far off an orange warning to.

National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Very cold, wintry weather from Wednesday evening onwards until Friday night. Showers of hail, sleet and snow will occur, with moderate accumulations to lower levels inland, more significant amounts on high ground, where there's a risk of drifting and blizzard conditions at times. Some scattered thunderstorms also.

Issued:

Wednesday 11 January 2017 11:00

Valid:

Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:00 to Friday 13 January 2017 18:00

Nice one Ronan if it's mentioning Cavan and Monaghan it's a sign that the showers will be pushing well inland 

Posted

All down to the distribution of showers. Who knows, i could completely miss out and 5 miles down the road will get a pasting. Has happened too many times in the past. Ever get the feeling this is going to be the longest day ever waiting for nightfall. Lol

Edited by ronan
    • Like 2
    Posted

Seems strange to have two separate warnings for Friday, perhaps one was updated shortly after the first one? http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1484265600&regionName=ni