Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
14 minutes ago, sundog said:

Still a hell of a lot better then sw Winds. Ireland is overdue  a good easterly at some point,one where some real proper Cold reaches us from europe before running out of steam before it gets here.

Would love you guys to get a good covering but I still have the fear from that time when you East Coast guys got everything, thunder snow and all whilst we got to play with mud in the West!! 

• Like 2

Posted

BBC app now has maximum of 4 and rain on Thursday and 5 on Friday :S are they lookin at the same charts as us?

2 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

BBC app now has maximum of 4 and rain on Thursday and 5 on Friday :S are they lookin at the same charts as us?

What I was thinking 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow

I haven't had a single snow symbol on any weather apps for my location :sorry: I fear I won't see any snow this time, but good luck to everyone else this week :cold:

Posted

It was showing 3 and snow this morning,  il be working in Belfast too so dont think il see much in the way of any either 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Weather apps can be a load of sh**e anyway IMO.

• Like 1

Posted

I mentioned at the end of last week that it will be Tuesday/Wednesday before we can have an idea on shower distribution due to the unstable flow. Even the BBC graphics aren't showing much on the way of snow but the 3 warnings in place from the METO is enough for me. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Am I the only person afraid of this weeks promises?! I remember the snow warnings popping up last year only to be faced with a sleet fest!

Yeah but we have colder uppers this time so you should see snow. 

• Like 1

Posted

Good stuff!!!

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service added 2 new photos.

36 mins · 

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

Yellow warnings of Snow, High Winds & Low Temperatures has been issued for Northern Ireland. Please note warnings may be amended or upgraded to amber.

Warning 1 (See Map)

Colder air will move in across the country on Wednesday and showers will begin to turn to sleet and snow, over the hills at first but increasingly to low levels later. Snow showers will become frequent and heavy at times. Accumulations of up to 5cm are possibly almost anywhere, 10 - 15cm in places (especially in the North & West, and where showers merge into longer spells of snow) and up to 20cm over the hills. Note that accumulations will vary across the country as snow is expected in the form of showers rather than bands of snow.

This combined with winds of up to 60mph will lead to blizzard like conditions and drifting snow, along with the risk of thunder & lightning during the heavier showers. Making for some hazardous conditions across much of the country along with possible disruption to travel and power supplies.

Day time temperatures are unlikely to get much above freezing from Wednesday onwards and nighttime temperatures are expected to be well below freezing especially in snow covered areas. That combined with the wind chill will make it feel bitter.

Warning 1 is valid from 16:00 11/01/17 until 15:00 12/01/17

Warning 2 (See Map)

Further snow showers are expected during Thursday & into Friday, these again becoming frequent and heavy, giving additional accumulations of up to 5cm across the warning area, again up to 10 - 15cm locally and up to 20 cm over the hills, one or two spots could even see 30cm where showers merge into longer spells of snow. Lightning is again possible in places during heavier showers.
Note - Accumulations will again vary from place to place.
Again temperatures will be unlikely to get much above freezing during the day and possibly down to minus double digits overnight, especially in snow covered areas.

Warning 2 is valid from 15:00 12/01/17 until 15:00 13/01/17

The public should be aware of possible hazardous conditions from late Wednesday. With Ice, falling, lying & drifting snow possible and blizzard like conditions this may cause some disruption to travel, along with possible interruptions to power supplies.

Please take care if travelling and stay tuned to forecasts.

These warnings are likely to be amended and/or upgraded. Stay tuned.

• Like 5

Posted
17 minutes ago, ronan said:

Good stuff!!!

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service added 2 new photos.

36 mins · 

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

Yellow warnings of Snow, High Winds & Low Temperatures has been issued for Northern Ireland. Please note warnings may be amended or upgraded to amber.

Warning 1 (See Map)

Colder air will move in across the country on Wednesday and showers will begin to turn to sleet and snow, over the hills at first but increasingly to low levels later. Snow showers will become frequent and heavy at times. Accumulations of up to 5cm are possibly almost anywhere, 10 - 15cm in places (especially in the North & West, and where showers merge into longer spells of snow) and up to 20cm over the hills. Note that accumulations will vary across the country as snow is expected in the form of showers rather than bands of snow.

This combined with winds of up to 60mph will lead to blizzard like conditions and drifting snow, along with the risk of thunder & lightning during the heavier showers. Making for some hazardous conditions across much of the country along with possible disruption to travel and power supplies.

Day time temperatures are unlikely to get much above freezing from Wednesday onwards and nighttime temperatures are expected to be well below freezing especially in snow covered areas. That combined with the wind chill will make it feel bitter.

Warning 1 is valid from 16:00 11/01/17 until 15:00 12/01/17

Warning 2 (See Map)

Further snow showers are expected during Thursday & into Friday, these again becoming frequent and heavy, giving additional accumulations of up to 5cm across the warning area, again up to 10 - 15cm locally and up to 20 cm over the hills, one or two spots could even see 30cm where showers merge into longer spells of snow. Lightning is again possible in places during heavier showers.
Note - Accumulations will again vary from place to place.
Again temperatures will be unlikely to get much above freezing during the day and possibly down to minus double digits overnight, especially in snow covered areas.

Warning 2 is valid from 15:00 12/01/17 until 15:00 13/01/17

The public should be aware of possible hazardous conditions from late Wednesday. With Ice, falling, lying & drifting snow possible and blizzard like conditions this may cause some disruption to travel, along with possible interruptions to power supplies.

Please take care if travelling and stay tuned to forecasts.

These warnings are likely to be amended and/or upgraded. Stay tuned.

Hmm really?  I hope so.  Although Im not expected much in Antrim to be honest. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, jello said:

Hmm really?  I hope so.  Although Im not expected much in Antrim to be honest. 

I think you will do just fine

Posted

It just dont feel right. The ground will be to wet and i feel that this will greatly affect amounts. I always stand by the old days when it dried up for snow. This last couple of years this hasn't happened and its just a flash in the pan. Sorry to be down beat tonight.

2 minutes ago, somofagun said:

It just dont feel right. The ground will be to wet and i feel that this will greatly affect amounts. I always stand by the old days when it dried up for snow. This last couple of years this hasn't happened and its just a flash in the pan. Sorry to be down beat tonight.

The strong winds will help dry things out, the temperature around freezing or below. Snow won't take long to accumulate. I've seen soaking wet transformed in to white lots of times, its Ireland afterall never really is dry ha.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

Think there maybe some downgraded warnings today. Looks like maybe Thursday now best bet but certainly not the 3 day event they showed yesterday:(

Whys that what forecast are model has downgraded the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

What forecasts were they? Cause the Oz has the -4 line down S France and -8 half way down Ireland.  Anything falling from the sky will be white. Friday has always been forecast as more focused on the North and West coasts anyway. If you're getting your figure from apps then you're wasting your time. I'd use official warning e.g met office/Met IE before them any day. 

gfs-1-84.png

Edited by Sperrin

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

GFS some forecasts yesterday showing up to 10 cm or more from wed through Friday for me.  Now showing 1cm thursday only and slightly higher temps too.

To keep a bit of sanity in here i would avoid predicting how much snow your going to get with GFS (ie cannon folder model) best to use euro4 or indeed any high resolution model is now the one to use even better than that start using tv forecasts met office warnings they will be even better. And once event is upon us then you have realtime weather radars or if you fancy good old lamppost watching.:)

• Like 1