Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
29 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

Thanks, sadly that was more of a rain event in my area :sorry:

It was a marginal affair. Some got a couple of feet, other nought.

Widespread snow warnings for Northern Ireland. However North West expected to receive the most and the warning is 1 level off amber where as other areas its a couple off it.

Cold northerly winds will bring frequent snow showers through Thursday and into Friday. Be aware of the potential for disruption to transport networks.

A cold airstream will be in place by Thursday afternoon, bringing frequent snow showers to areas exposed to the northerly wind. A further 2-5 cm of snow is possible, with an additional 10-20 cm above about 200 m. Lightning may be an additional hazard, with possible disruption to power supplies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

A Scandinavian High means that the winds across the Uk and Ireland would likely be Easterly and continental in origin. The air would therefore be colder than you would get from a Northerly or North Westerly.

Not always colder than a Northerly. Less chance of modification yes but in 2010 when Northern Ireland's record low temperature was recorded, that came from direct Northerly, then a high moved over us the day after, so  arctic air from the North was sat over us. The day time maximums were extreme too, colder than any Easterly I remember. We often get half baked Northerlys so I see where you are coming from.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting

I'm going to say 10cm for near Lisburn at 200m

• Like 2

Posted

Latest 12z has the snow showers kicking in on Wednesday night, it then has a band of snow moving South through Thursday afternoon with more showers behind.

• Like 2

Latest update pretty much the same- 

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Turning much colder during Wednesday and Thursday. Very windy with frequent wintry showers, significant snowfall in places especially from later Wednesday, and drifting over higher ground.

Updated at: 1456 on Mon 9 Jan 2017

Posted
3 minutes ago, Longtimelurker said:

Latest update pretty much the same- 

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Turning much colder during Wednesday and Thursday. Very windy with frequent wintry showers, significant snowfall in places especially from later Wednesday, and drifting over higher ground.

Updated at: 1456 on Mon 9 Jan 2017

Looking at the UKMO run, this could push into Saturday as well. A 3/4 day cold snowy spell is not to be sniffed at.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Looking good as MS has posted in the NW thread looks like a cheshire Gap streamer 

BANK

good luck guys

C.S

• Like 4

Posted

Sounds good to me!!!

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service

53 mins · 

Just a heads up that we will be updating our snow warnings this evening. Could be some pretty significant snow for some places along with high winds, blizzards and possible thunder & lightning thrown into the mix. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Is XC weather a credible weather site?

28 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

Is XC weather a credible weather site?

It uses the latest GFS data(updated 4 times per day) and automates its FC from that. It has lengthened the cold spell for my location. From Wednesday evening onwards the temp remains at 2c or lower until midday Sunday. Last night it had it had the cold spell ending Saturday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
Just now, Longtimelurker said:

It uses the latest GFS data(updated 4 times per day) and automates its FC from that. It has lengthened the cold spell for my location. From Wednesday evening onwards the temp remains at 2c or lower until midday Sunday. Last night it had it had the cold spell ending Saturday.

yesterday Saturday was a complete washout and now this cold spell is extended to Sunday. Temps of 3c or less:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

I will go for 1cm if I'm lucky at my location. So miss Dec 2010. Even here we had 8inches and sub zero temps day and night. Barely get a flake now.

• Like 2

Just now, Longtimelurker said:

ECM 

T48-Cold air filtering in, the uppers at 1pm. Showers increasingly turning to snow as day progresses

North and West is best place to be for the good weather, not regularly said!

Posted

A nice easterly to end the ECM!! I really hope this comes off just so everyone is happy. If we can get snow on the ground later this week then god knows how long it could stick around. 

• Like 2

Posted

Gutted the snow is coming this week as I'm in Newcastle-upon-Tyne from tomorrow to Sunday! I'll look forward to seeing the pictures! Enjoy folks! 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ronan said:

A nice easterly to end the ECM!! I really hope this comes off just so everyone is happy. If we can get snow on the ground later this week then god knows how long it could stick around. 

Yes. Places with a good covering could have it for a long time if the ECM came off. Of course the upper temperature increases but the surface would be much colder if we had a clear high overhead.

Edited by Longtimelurker
  • Like 1

Posted

Haven't had lying snow since 2010, forgive me if I blow raspberries at your pffft comment! :-)

come on the easterly! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
4 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Easterlies pffffftttttttt

Still a hell of a lot better then sw Winds. Ireland is overdue  a good easterly at some point,one where some real proper Cold reaches us from europe before running out of steam before it gets here.

• Like 1