Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Heavy sleet showers all evening here in County Kilkenny.....big snow flakes mixed in with the rain....mountains will be white again ..... hope you guys further north have a nice covering by morning 

Keep the pics coming 

Edited by Bottled Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Disaster has struck here, dew points must have increased with that streamer coming in and our snow has turned to rain!! 

Posted

Loving today’s metoffice update for end of December first half of January. Give you a clue... it’s :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Was that an East based only event Mountain or was it a good one for everyone? 

If you can't remember it Pom it must have been East based!

Posted

Yeah it was east based, glens of Antrim had 10ft snow drifts, sheep buried alive my uncle was snowed in for a week, we had lying snow until middle of April. None at in laws in strabane though

It started off as snow with me in March 2013. The front pushed a little too east for my location and I was under slightly milder air so turned back to rain. It stalled further east hence the crazy snowfall totals. Was still cold. 4c was max temperature for about 1 week here at end of march . We had a lot of snow showers that march. Would he lethal if we got that set up in the heart of winter

Posted
4 hours ago, Rocheydub said:

Sleet and rain is all I got in 2013!! 

The meteorological setup in March 2013 was very similar to the Jan 1982 blizzard that hit Ireland however in March 2013 the front pushed 150 miles or so further north and just the northeast corner of Ireland was hit. It was a close run thing in the scheme of things and those counties in the firing line got copious amounts of snow....we are due another nationwide blizzard ?

Posted
5 hours ago, Longtimelurker said:

It started off as snow with me in March 2013. The front pushed a little too east for my location and I was under slightly milder air so turned back to rain. It stalled further east hence the crazy snowfall totals. Was still cold. 4c was max temperature for about 1 week here at end of march . We had a lot of snow showers that march. Would he lethal if we got that set up in the heart of winter

yes the synoptics in March 13 were actually even more impressive than Dec 10 which was a record cold month. That March brought numerous days with falling snow and modest accumulations in these parts however the higher sun put paid to most of the lying snowfall fairly quickly each day -  apart from the northeastern areas bit by the huge blizzard where snow lay in to April ...If those synoptic occurrd in Jan it would have been a memorable spell 

Posted

Really don’t get that met office update yest. I guess it could have been updated by a less senior met man because it seems totally random and against what’s showing in most models. I expect it to change somewhat either today or next few days. Seemed way of their normal very guarded approach. 

Posted

Models continue to feed out utter garbage for cold weather. I literally for the life of me do not understand the meto long range forecast. What are they seeing. Certainly looks like it will be a long time before we see snow again. Another mild ,windy and rainy Xmas and new year on the cards. Just the usual muck for this country around Xmas. 

Posted
7 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Roads are an absolute joke this morning, worst I have come across in this cold spell,  kind of glad the milder weather is coming in!!

roads were shocking this morn! even main roads ungritted. not have to worry about ice for a while though. low teens next week.

• Like 1

Posted

fairly benign week coming up before turning more mobile next weekend....at this stage a cold westerly shown for Xmas Day before turning milder again on 26th ....posssibly cold enough for snow in some areas for an official white  Christmas..at this stage not as potent as the short lived 2004 Xmas westerly / northwesterly but could upgrade....or disappear altogether ....something to keep an eye on .  ....otherwise hard to see any proper lasting cold before January unless models pick up on a new signal ove coming days 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Probably the most interesting run so far over the last number of days. The 6z showing some potential from a PM shot with the -5 850 line well south of Ireland. I definitely see the potential for snow off that chart. However, usual caveats apply as ECM very different at that point, hopefully it comes closer to the 6z this evening.

GFSOPEU06_168_2.png

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 2