Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
4 hours ago, booferking said:

There not going into much detail Wednesday on there video forecast cutting it short Wed 3pm at the minute but you can see the showers pilling in and increasingly white think there on the fence not giving much away???

This has been going on since yesterday by the way.

snow.png

Hi folks

A pleasant surprise here in South Kikenny these past few days and totally unexpected. Rained heavy Saturday night and was still raining here at 8am yesterday morning although sleety. Turned to snow by 8.30 am and snowed steadily until around 3pm. Despite all the rain that preceeded the snow everywhere soon turned white and we ended up with around 6cms . Frooze solid last night and only a slow partial thaw today before the frost set in again at sunset. Garden still mostly covered in snow so will wake tomorrow to the third consecutive morning in a  row  with snow cover which is the best spell here since 2010, although  we managed 2 consecutive days in March 2013. I expect tomorrow's higher temps and rain to wash away the last of my snow, however considering the warnings were initially for the north and northwest it was a pleasant surprise to be in the snow zone here in the South East. When Met Eireann kept moving the risk areas further and further south I still expected us to be too far south to benefit. However the slider system pushed another 20-30 miles south during Saturday night and bingo. 

This winter reminds me of our 80s winters when we would have several cold snaps interspersed with milder intervals. I believe we will have further opportunities over the next few months and hopefully these last few cold spells are a teaser for something more potemt come late December or more likely in Jam and Feb. Hopefully all those who missed out this time will get their snow fix soon.  Actually GFS gives a window for snow to fall from late Wednesday to early Thursday before uppers mix out  

Bottled Snow 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
8 minutes ago, Bottled Snow said:

Hi folks

A pleasant surprise here in South Kikenny these past few days and totally unexpected. Rained heavy Saturday night and was still raining here at 8am yesterday morning although sleety. Turned to snow by 8.30 am and snowed steadily until around 3pm. Despite all the rain that preceeded the snow everywhere soon turned white and we ended up with around 6cms . Frooze solid last night and only a slow partial thaw today before the frost set in again at sunset. Garden still mostly covered in snow so will wake tomorrow to the third consecutive morning in a  row  with snow cover which is the best spell here since 2010, although  we managed 2 consecutive days in March 2013. I expect tomorrow's higher temps and rain to wash away the last of my snow, however considering the warnings were initially for the north and northwest it was a pleasant surprise to be in the snow zone here in the South East. When Met Eireann kept moving the risk areas further and further south I still expected us to be too far south to benefit. However the slider system pushed another 20-30 miles south during Saturday night and bingo. 

This winter reminds me of our 80s winters when we would have several cold snaps interspersed with milder intervals. I believe we will have further opportunities over the next few months and hopefully these last few cold spells are a teaser for something more potemt come late December or more likely in Jam and Feb. Hopefully all those who missed out this time will get their snow fix soon.  Actually GFS gives a window for snow to fall from late Wednesday to early Thursday before uppers mix out  

Bottled Snow 

Welcome Bottled snow. It does feel like an 80s winter so far this year.

I went up to the Dublin hills today which had a fair amount of snow on them ,it brought back memories being a kid back in the 80s  going up to the deep snow covered Dublin hills with my family when we had cold snaps at times early in the winter and would often lead at some point further into the winter of getting snow at low levels with a real proper cold spell.

• Thanks 1

Posted

MetO showing snow symbols and rain today then snow tomorrow and into Thursday morning.

GFS also showing snow tomorrow night into thursday.....some could get heavy showers.

Snow hasn't thawed here at all....ice is the biggest problem. 

Precipitation current pushing in from west to east......don't think dew points are low enough to turn to snow, maybe over snow covered areas?

Edited by Weegaz

Posted

Still plenty of snow up here and another hard frost this morning. 

Looks interesting tomorrow afternoon with a snowy period possible around rush hour tomorrow. 

Posted
1 minute ago, mountain shadow said:

Still plenty of snow up here and another hard frost this morning. 

Looks interesting tomorrow afternoon with a snowy period possible around rush hour tomorrow. 

What you think about the precipitation pushing in now mountain?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Roads a joke this morning. Saw a post on Facebook that there's lorries skidding on the Foreglen road between Dungiven and Derry. Glenshane pass not good either. Take care if out and about folks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow
20 minutes ago, booferking said:

Sleeting away here currently at pretty low ground could well be snow higher up? Raw outside today 

I'm in Lisburn today so can't comment on higher ground in Tyrone.

Anybody see the BBC forecast earlier? Looks prettt good for snow from tomorrow mid afternoon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743

• Like 1

Posted

Strange I would’ve thought if there was going to be much snow tomorrow we’d at least have a yellow warning!

Posted

?. They will prob wait until tomorrow morning if they are to issue a warning. Looked good on newsline weather there now. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

?. They will prob wait until tomorrow morning if they are to issue a warning. Looked good on newsline weather there now. 

Hopefully red warning and 3ft to low lying areas :D

• Like 1

Snow warning issued by Met Éireann 

IMG_20171212_201943.png

I thought they'd wait until tomorrow so they must have a little more confidence this evening as it seems to be a close call. Just to cover themselves. 3cm isn't much considering the intensity of the showers FC so imagine it will be much more for any areas that get snow from the get go

Edited by Longtimelurker
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Longtimelurker said:

Snow warning issued by Met Éireann 

IMG_20171212_201943.png

I thought they'd wait until tomorrow so they must have a little more confidence this evening as it seems to be a close call. Just to cover themselves. 3cm isn't much considering the intensity of the showers FC so imagine it will be much more for any areas that get snow from the get go

Weather I watched had southern areas of Northern Ireland must at risk and midland areas of Ireland also. Be a case of watching radar I guess but I would have thought more than 3cms to be honest. Tomorrow will give us more of an idea. 

Posted

Ni weather on facebook had an early warning since Monday..  Fingers crossed :D

snw.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

BBC forecast looks very promising for tomorrow, definitely surprised there's no warning out from met office.

@Rocheydub the infamous Dublin snow shield may be breached tomorrow!

Posted

Big thaw on here this evening, some loud rumblings of the snow falling off the roof of house, wife nearly got hit coming in the back door earlier.

Tomorrow evening looks like lamp post and radar watch again. Would be good to see metO warning at least to up the confidence, video forecasts looking good but.

p.s. Talk of a green Christmas this year.....again, loads of time for change but

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

BBC forecast looks very promising for tomorrow, definitely surprised there's no warning out from met office.

@Rocheydub the infamous Dublin snow shield may be breached tomorrow!

Not getting any hopes up. The slider drama really drained me. Every county around us saw snow falling at some stage, we had rain, sleet for about 5 minutes then rain again. Dropping the missus to work this morning wiping the ice off the windscreen, then looking up at the snow in the Dublin mountains as I headed into town... So flipping frustrating. I'm staying away from the MOD thread and meteociel too for a few days. 

• Like 1