Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

My view from the office in Omagh Boofer, that big blob coming straight at us

IMG_0053.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up to a lovely white blanket in Dungannon & it's just started snowing heavily again :cold:

Only downside is i have to go to work soonish :nonono:

Posted

Some depth pics from home, I'm 100+ metres higher than Omagh

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

@Steve Murr it rises an inch with the lid but it's bound to be pretty close to 6 inches. To be fair the met office warnings nailed it with 10-20cm on higher ground and 5cm on lower ground. 

The photo below gives an better view of depth on the swing seats. If you'll excuse the poor quality of picture!

IMG_0049.JPG

Posted

Radar starting to slow down now, do we think there'll be any more troughs coming through or have we passed the sweet spot?

My attention turns to Sunday, although the 6z pushes this further south (with my nordie hat on) the Arperge hi-res model still show the band moving NE into Ulster around 3am on. It then stops and starts to pivot moving back SE. This would be an ideal track for us further north. The charts below show snow starting in Ulster around 3am and starting to drift away late in the afternoon. Fingers crossed it keeps that path!

111.png

112.png

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Radar starting to slow down now, do we think there'll be any more troughs coming through or have we passed the sweet spot?

My attention turns to Sunday, although the 6z pushes this further south (with my nordie hat on) the Arperge hi-res model still show the band moving NE into Ulster around 3am on. It then stops and starts to pivot moving back SE. This would be an ideal track for us further north. The charts below show snow starting in Ulster around 3am and starting to drift away late in the afternoon. Fingers crossed it keeps that path!

111.png

112.png

Quite a few 6z have taking it further North again Euro4 ICON GFS control not over yet.

17121006_0806.gif

iconeu_uk1-1-51-0.png

gens-0-2-48.png

gens-0-2-54.png

It does appear that we have passed the sweet spot in that respect, its sunny here now and any gains made in the past 2-3 hours have been wiped out so we are left with what happened overnight. Still, looking good for the rest of the weekend I have to say. 

Posted

Some seriously heavy showers moving through central Tyrone, not very long lasting but really intense.

Anyone notice NI weather advisory posting an amber warning an hour ago for snow this afternoon and evening? I had expected it to tail off a bit.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
STATUS ORANGE

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
Significant falls of snow are expected Saturday night and into Sunday. Accumulations of 4 to 8 cm could occur quite widely with greater totals possible. Drifting snow locally at times too with brisk winds. Slippery paths and treacherous roads also due to snow accumulation and ice.

Issued:Friday 08 December 2017 11:00
Valid:Saturday 09 December 2017 23:00 to Sunday 10 December 2017 23:00
Iancar29 is online now Report Post    
  • Like 1

Posted

Excellent Sundog, they appear confident that it will push as far north as Ulster. Met office have also issued the following warning for Sunday which encompasses all of NI.

A band of rain, heavy at times, is expected to move eastwards over the UK. With cold air in place, a spell of snow looks likely to develop on its northern edge. 1-5 cm is possible quite widely, and up to 10 cm in places. Over higher ground, 20 cm is possible in a few places. There is currently a good deal of uncertainty over the precise track of the areas of rain and snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
2 minutes ago, Sperrin said:

Excellent Sundog, they appear confident that it will push as far north as Ulster. Met office have also issued the following warning for Sunday which encompasses all of NI.

A band of rain, heavy at times, is expected to move eastwards over the UK. With cold air in place, a spell of snow looks likely to develop on its northern edge. 1-5 cm is possible quite widely, and up to 10 cm in places. Over higher ground, 20 cm is possible in a few places. There is currently a good deal of uncertainty over the precise track of the areas of rain and snow.

Yes looking very good atm,but as ever it will be a nowcast situation but all to play for.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting

Lightning at 5:00am this morning. Quite close, maybe only a few miles away. About 6in snow, maybe more in places this morning

Posted

Heavy showers all Night and throghout today not much melting.  

Measured it on my outdoor storage box. Its flat.  ??

Hope Sunday is good too. 20171208_140253.thumb.jpg.58a57c83598a13fd88595920f3cd9714.jpg

• Like 2