Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Met office video forecast this evening showed a spell of snow to low levels for several hours on Sunday before turning more to rain as the milder air pushed in. With frontal snowfall you don't need as low as uppers as you do with showers. Anyway it will change 50 times before Sunday and we could still be in the dark come Sat evening. I remember the blizzard in 2013, the NW of England had an Amber warning for snow until the day before but never made it to them. I think there is a bias in the models to show it push through us, so my hunch is it moves further to the south and we stay largely dry in the northern third or we get a decent spell of snow with more rain to the south of us. 

Edited by Longtimelurker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

The BBC week ahead forecast is pretty epic! 

We could be seeing a lot of the white stuff over the coming days and into next week!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/42258898

• Like 1

Posted

Why is the Netweather forecast showing 0% risk of snow in Belfast? Am I just being hopeful and thinking we will get something or is there genuinely no real possibility. 

Ive just caught up on the forum tonight. Have been so busy recently so I haven’t been keeping an eye on things. 

Anybody give me the simplest run down? I coach hockey and we’ve a match on Saturday. It was cancelled two weeks ago on a Friday night cos pitch was frozen over. Not sure what to expect on Saturday - near County Down north coastal area. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, snowydog said:

Why is the Netweather forecast showing 0% risk of snow in Belfast? Am I just being hopeful and thinking we will get something or is there genuinely no real possibility. 

Ive just caught up on the forum tonight. Have been so busy recently so I haven’t been keeping an eye on things. 

Anybody give me the simplest run down? I coach hockey and we’ve a match on Saturday. It was cancelled two weeks ago on a Friday night cos pitch was frozen over. Not sure what to expect on Saturday - near County Down north coastal area. 

Automated forecasts are a complete waste of time and I just can't understand why so many people take them as gospel. Saturday is looking the better day of the week. It's tomorrow evening and Sunday that gives the big potential for snow. To be honest I reckon Sunday is going to give parts of the north a serious dumping of snow. Going in to next week then there is a reload of opportunity for almost anywhere with the next Atlantic low coming in and hitting the cold air. We haven't had this much opportunity in years but I have a feeling the cold is here to stay for some time. Feels like the late 80's early 90's where in some years it was just reload after reload from the N/NW. All said above we then later in winter have the usual chance for a beast from the east. So overall get loaded up on Prozac and enjoy the ride :cold::cold:

Posted

Slider a bit further South than last night's GFS 18z so that brings all of the North into a snow risk away from low ground. 

Also decent prospects for Northern and central parts of Connaught and Leinster.

Edited by mountain shadow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow

I went for a walk in my T-shirt yesterday at 4pm and it was 11C and was convinced there's no way it could snow with that temp or drop over night. 

This morning coming out of work it is down to 5C with strong cold winds. I have revised my thoughts on the prospect of falling snow within the next 24 hours and am hoping for the best! 

I'll be walking back to work at 7pm, maybe, just maybe I could be walking in the snow or if not, maybe on my way home tomorrow morning! :santa-emoji:

Posted
21 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

I like this C00CB414-3BB5-4791-B352-A9FD8ECE369B.jpe

Sperrin likes this too! :yahoo:

Posted

Today is the day :D Hope everyone gets a good dumping.

On the way to work this morning on the motorway noticed the motorway signs are warning that snow is forecast.  

Posted
20 minutes ago, jello said:

Today is the day :D Hope everyone gets a good dumping.

On the way to work this morning on the motorway noticed the motorway signs are warning that snow is forecast.  

Seen this on the M1 last night and this morning Jello

Posted

Hail shower in Antrim :D  Come onnnnn wintry showers 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Some beefy looking pink showing on the radar now over Donegal and parts of the west. Hope everyone gets to see something over the next few days. 

Posted
36 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Guys - good luck with the snow potential over the next few days 

cameras at the ready!

Cheers Steve, excitment building here alright. Freeing up space on the memory card. 

Working in Leitrim today and heading home around 3/4pm. Showers turning wintry here now. Mix of sleet and hail. Should be fun later.

Posted

radar looking pretty quiet behind the current shower band, lets hope its saving it for after dark