Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Hi all I wonder will we get any heavy snow showers away from the coast. You can never tell until it happens I find. :)

Posted

Still not convinced there will be much snow. ECM very poor for us generally bar a 2 day limited chance of snow. But I hope I’m wrong. 

Posted

Hey guys, I'm a winter lurker.  I spend hours on here over the winter months reading posts, but have nothing new to add so never/rarely post. Sincerely hoping for a wee bit of the magical white stuff this coming weekend in East Belfast. It's my birthday too so would be a perfect present.

I'm not going to get too stressed about snow charts predictions for here. Experience tells me that they are somewhat inaccurate especially for N/NW flow  As they say let's get the cold in place and pray for some serious precipitation ?

Good luck!

Ali

• Like 2

Posted

The lack of posts says it all for us I’m afraid. As feared latest output wind direction heading more NW than N. Still good for NW areas but pants for most others. Prob change in morning though with a bit of luck. Sliders not much use for us either at present. Obviously subject to change. Hopefully for the better the closer it gets. 

Edited by Neiller22

9 hours ago, ronan said:

All good from where I am sitting! As usual Neiller you look in to each run too much. Precip from sliders won't be nailed till closer to the time.

Is'nt the point of watching each run to comment on that specific run if one would like 2. It does not necessarily mean i take each run as gospel. If you read my previous post you can clearly see that i stated things can obviously change quickly, which would imply that i don't read too much into each individual run. Anyhow i hope we all get what we are craving. Time will tell.

Posted

MetO Update :yahoo:

Between 00:05 Fri 8th and 18:00 Sat 9th

Snow showers are expected to become increasingly frequent over northern Scotland late on Thursday and are expected across many other parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and western England on Friday. 2-5 cm of snow is likely for some, with 10-20 cm possible over high ground, mainly Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Icy surfaces are also likely to be an additional hazard, especially overnight. Strong northwest winds may cause drifting of the snow in places with blizzard conditions possible at times across northern Scotland. The heaviest and most frequent of the snow showers will progressively 

Posted

First snow warnings are out!

Snow showers are expected to become increasingly frequent over northern Scotland late on Thursday and are expected across many other parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and western England on Friday. 2-5 cm of snow is likely for some, with 10-20 cm possible over high ground, mainly Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Icy surfaces are also likely to be an additional hazard, especially overnight. Strong northwest winds may cause drifting of the snow in places with blizzard conditions possible at times across northern Scotland. The heaviest and most frequent of the snow showers will progressively become confined to northeast Scotland during Saturday. Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and for train services. Probably some icy patches on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths. Some injuries from slips and falls on icy and snowy surfaces.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-12-08&lat=54.6629&lon=-5.6619

Posted
27 minutes ago, Sparky72 said:

The amount of snow forecast and duration seems to be getting more diluted the closer we get... is that just because it's hard to forecast precipitation amounts? 

Not seen that...

You folks will do really well it goes without saying even to the coast, frequent snow showers clumping together to form longer spells of snow some decent accumulations to low levels possible. Thundersnow too a possibility. 

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, ronan said:

Anything can pop up out of these setups. I would be happy with 1cm of snow as i am sure most on here would. Lol

Me to Ronan, anything more's a bonus.

I think the excitement is in watching the models, the radar and then seeing the first few flakes fall to give a covering.

• Like 1

Posted

Haven’t seen the dreaded words yet “away from the north coast” sometimes in these setups, rain sleet on north coast and only 2-3 miles inland they get a proper dumping of snow!

Posted

the generated forcasts for my area have now changed to rain thursday night adn friday, how could it be rain with -10 uppers :S it doesnt get much colder than that

55 minutes ago, Hegzyy said:

the generated forcasts for my area have now changed to rain thursday night adn friday, how could it be rain with -10 uppers :S it doesnt get much colder than that

At this point I'm not looking at the generated forecasts until they are all hourly. The temperatures are all higher than everywhere else and its showing rain when you'd expect snow, even though a yellow warning is in place. :wallbash:

Posted
15 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

At this point I'm not looking at the generated forecasts until they are all hourly. The temperatures are all higher than everywhere else and its showing rain when you'd expect snow, even though a yellow warning is in place. :wallbash:

yeah, its showing us at higher temps than london! seems impossible but what do I know