Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, jello said:

Crazy in antrim at the moment.

alot of trees down and roads blocked.

Public being advised about non-essential travel.  Coastal roads being closed soon.  

https://goo.gl/sC7PGj

Just outside nutts corner jello and seems to have died down a bit

1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Ridiculous.  They could have been at school today as well.

Not at all. People aren't being complacent. Complacency leads to needless deaths, three people have already died due to complacency. Imagine the amount of buses heading past risk-worthy trees and crossing gusty bridges, it would be chaos here thats for sure with the bridge closed. I agree with the closures.

Edited by Guest

Posted
10 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Not at all. People aren't being complacent. Complacency leads to needless deaths, three people have already died due to complacency. Imagine the amount of buses heading past risk-worthy trees and crossing gusty bridges, it would be chaos here thats for sure with the bridge closed. I agree with the closures.

The worst of the weather wasn't due to start until after 4 o'clock today so no idea why the schools couldn't have opened as normal, perhaps finishing at 2. As for tomorrow, the weather is to be absolutely fine and absolutely no reason at all why they should be closed.

I've just been out for a drive and there was nothing to make you think that this was a major storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I think schools are closed tomorrow to assess any damages, electricity out etc. 

Getting windy here now but no more than most storms, so far at least. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Juuyoku said:

I think schools are closed tomorrow to assess any damages, electricity out

Surely that can be assessed in the morning.  

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Well at my location i have to say it wasnt that bad,iv experianced much worse like Storm Darwin for example.

Amber warning was definitely justified, while the North West definitely did not bear the brunt we did get a good smack. Will be out and about tomorrow. Winds are easing though still very gusty. (55-60)

Edited by Guest

Posted

Amber not justified here. 

Guy on BBC now in Banbridge, looks a lovely night there. Says that Northern Ireland spared the worst. 

Not acceptable that schools are closed tomorrow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
7 minutes ago, BREIFMAN11 said:

Amber warning was definitely justified, while the North West definitely did not bear the brunt we did get a good smack. Will be out and about tomorrow. Winds are easing though still very gusty. (55-60)

Justified here as well. Gusting to 60-65mph at the moment. Quite a few trees down as well. 

Posted

People like to know in advance if there kids are going to school and they the parents if they have to arrange childminders are another day off work.  Justified another day to assess damage etc trees power-lines

As for amber warning justified not as bad as the ROI but still dangerous conditions.

Nothing will ever bate boxing Day storm 1998 that was a beast to behold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Yea that 98 storm was really something. I remember it knocked down walls at my old primary school. Today has been windy but nothing special.

Posted

Residents are being evacuated in parts of Carrickfegus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
4 minutes ago, jello said:

Residents are being evacuated in parts of Carrickfegus.

Coastal flooding? I thought that was a possibility. My parent live right on the coast at groomsport just on the other side of the coast path. I wonder if they're at risk. 

Posted

Amber Warning was justified but closing schools, universities etc is just ridiculous. Everyone panicked today and I'd say a lot of businesses lost money. Will the same happen tomorrow because schools r still closed! Not even the worst storm in NI for last 3-4 years

Posted

In the firing line again tomorrow with gusts in excess of 100kph maybe over 110kph so it could wreak havoc on already weakened buildings and trees.

Posted

I would say it’s as windy here the last hour as it was on Monday.....even though I have no way of measuring.

Coupious amounts of rain, Lagan is overfollowing around Lisburn in places. Thankfully looking dry and settled for a few days this coming week

Posted

All eyes on start of November for our first cold shot of the season and just happens to arrive when i am heading to the Scottish Highlands for a few days hiking. Lovely. Haven't a clue what way this winter is going to go but an early cold shot would be nice. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Very interesting 12z on GFS. It has a 45% chance of snow for Omagh on the evening of 1st Nov!! Usual caveats and doses of salt required, of course. Nice to see all the same.

graphe3_1000___-7.3_54.6_Omagh.gif

• Like 3