Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

Lots of Weather stations across the country, click air temp and it lists the coldest to mildest. Updates every 10 minutes.

Cold air starting to filter in, lough mourne in donegal at 2c, Malin head at 3c while Finner in South Donegal on the coast is currently 6c

Edited by Longtimelurker
  • Like 1

Posted

Unfortunately i am just outside the amber warning!!

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service

10 mins · 

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has issued the following weather warning.

An AMBER warning of Snow has been issued for parts of Northern Ireland. This warning comes into force at 23:30 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.

Yellow warnings of Snow & Low Temperatures has been issued for Northern Ireland (All parts covered) This warning comes into force at 23:30 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.

A Yellow warning of High Winds has been issued for Northern Ireland (Covers all parts, highest winds in North & West) This warning is now in force and will remain in force until 06:00 12/01/2017

Colder air has been moving in across the country this evening and showers have been turning wintry, these will continue to turn wintry as the evening goes on. From late tonight any showers that affect the country will mainly be of sleet and snow at all levels and will become frequent and heavy at times especially in the North & West leading to accumulations.

AMBER area: Varying accumulations are expected over the warning area with 5 - 10cm possible, 15cm locally and up to 20cm over the highest ground by tomorrow night. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or if they merge into longer spells of snow.

YELLOW area: Again varying accumulations over the warning area of 3 - 8cm possibly more locally and over higher ground by tomorrow night.

Note that not all areas will receive the same amounts, it will vary across the country as the snow is expected in the form of showers. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or merge into longer spells of snow.

There is also a risk of thunder in some of the heavier showers.

Winds are still strong in places, with gusts of up to 60mph this will lead to blizzard like conditions and drifting snow.

These combined conditions will lead to some hazardous conditions across much of the country along with possible disruption to travel and power supplies.

Day time temperatures are unlikely to get much above freezing tomorrow and nighttime temperatures are expected to be well below freezing especially in snow covered areas. That combined with the wind chill will make it feel bitter.

The public should be aware of possible hazardous conditions overnight and tomorrow with Ice, falling, lying & drifting snow possible and blizzard like conditions.

Please take care if travelling and stay tuned to forecasts.

Just to clarify (as we have had a few messages) - Although these snow warnings come into effect at 23:30 tonight it does not necessarily mean it will begin snowing immediately at that time across the country. 

15895065_1239493049464357_13857713802272514_n.png

• Like 3

Posted

Wee 4 leg baby needed out there to do her biz - i must say it wasnt as cold as it was earlier on  - im just hoping that its not the start of a bad thing 

Posted
1 minute ago, Longtimelurker said:

Amber area is very odd looking. Lots of Western Tyrone/Derry missing while North,West,South of it included. Strange. Also the Met office said showers most frequent over Western Tyrone lol

It is anyones guess what will happen and i am sure there will be a few localised surprises.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
6 minutes ago, gary1365 said:

The temperature keeps swinging from 3 to 4.5 c 

Exactly the same all the way over here, up and down between 3c and 4c :nonono:

Posted

i hope this whole thing doesnt turn out to be a damp squib. where is nellier?

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, gary1365 said:

The temperature keeps swinging from 3 to 4.5 c 

gary u work i n Coleraine do you  ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy
3 minutes ago, Moonbeem said:

gary u work i n Coleraine do you  ???

Nope limavady. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
8 minutes ago, Moonbeem said:

The more time goes by the more n more im realising that this is gonna go down like a wet fart :(

Plenty of time yet :D

Posted

UPDATED. Briefman you jinxed us!! Derry snow shield in effect!! Lol

NI Weather & Flood Advisory Service has amended the earlier weather warning. This warning supersedes previous warning issued.

This warning has been amended to extend the amber warning area.

An AMBER warning of Snow has been issued for parts of Northern Ireland. This warning comes into force at 23:59 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.

Yellow warnings of Snow & Low Temperatures has been issued for Northern Ireland (All parts covered) This warning comes into force at 23:59 11/01/2017 and is valid until at least 23:00 12/01/2017.

A Yellow warning of High Winds has been issued for Northern Ireland (Covers all parts, highest winds in North & West) This warning is now in force and will remain in force until 06:00 12/01/2017

Colder air has been moving in across the country this evening and showers have been turning wintry, these will continue to turn wintry as the evening goes on. From late tonight any showers that affect the country will mainly be of sleet and snow at all levels and will become frequent and heavy at times especially in the North & West leading to accumulations.

AMBER area: Varying accumulations are expected over the warning area with 5 - 10cm possible, 15cm locally and up to 20cm over the highest ground by tomorrow night. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or if they merge into longer spells of snow.

YELLOW area: Again varying accumulations over the warning area of 3 - 8cm possibly more locally and over higher ground by tomorrow night.

Note that not all areas will receive the same amounts, it will vary across the country as the snow is expected in the form of showers. However there could be larger accumulations where heavy showers occur or merge into longer spells of snow.

There is also a risk of thunder in some of the heavier showers.
Winds are still strong in places, with gusts of up to 60mph this will lead to blizzard like conditions and drifting snow.

These combined conditions will lead to some hazardous conditions across much of the country along with possible disruption to travel and power supplies.

Day time temperatures are unlikely to get much above freezing tomorrow and nighttime temperatures are expected to be well below freezing especially in snow covered areas. That combined with the wind chill will make it feel bitter.

The public should be aware of possible hazardous conditions overnight and tomorrow with Ice, falling, lying & drifting snow possible and blizzard like conditions.

Please take care if travelling and stay tuned to forecasts.

15965761_1239561809457481_3942472946550971455_n.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Juuyoku said:

I'm in that wee yellow strip myself lol but keeping the faith, 'tis only a guide after all! 

Well i think you have a real good chance due to being at the foot of the Glenshane.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, BIG LAD said:

i hope this whole thing doesnt turn out to be a damp squib. where is nellier?

Just waiting Big Lad!  Don't post much anymore.  But do have a Wee look now and again. Here's hoping we all see some. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

Plenty of time yet :D

I just keep feeling like its the time u get handed the most beautiful biscuit in the world which is good nae brilliant n then to top it you get tap on the shoulder n get handed the best brewed cup o tae in the universe - u look at what u got n think its the best combo ever - n u go for a nice simple dunk, perfect angle perfect immersion time  - BUT when u lift out the biscuit just just just before it hits your mouth it drops  !!!!!!!!! ........... thats how this is gonna develop

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Longtimelurker said:

Still looks odd to me Ronan. NW getting the majority of showers and they've removed an area in the North West that was amber and shunted the amber area below it.

Certainly is odd. Suppose we will find out soon enough.