Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Met office update for NI-

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Turning colder with blustery wintry showers on Wednesday and Thursday, some snow to lower levels at times in the west. Heavy rain and gale or severe gales on Friday.

Updated at: 0234 on Mon 19 Dec 2016

• Like 3

Posted

Certainly looking like an interesting week of weather ahead, today looks to be the best day for outside activities, a good frost tonight, a wet and blustery day tomorrow, potential for wintry showers on Wednesday/Thursday, Friday another wet and blustery, then we have a really potential period of interest on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.    IMG_0615.PNG

• Like 3

Posted

I think it's safe to say that we are in for an iteresting weekend. Very hard to pin down details but i would think that a some areas will have a few surprises regarding snow but it will be Thursday/Friday before we can be certain of anything. The position of the first low is changing from run to run so its tough at the minute to forecast what the weekends outcome with be. 

Edited by ronan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

It really still is up in the air regards the weekend but we in Ireland (particularly further north and west) appear to be in the prime spot (outside of the Highlands) to see some of the white stuff over the Christmas period. All models are showing the Pm shots coming in from the WNW so we are taking a direct hit of the coldest and least modified air. 

gfs-1-156.png

ECM0-120.GIF

• Like 1

Posted

met.ie THURSDAY: A cold day with early morning showers tending to retreat back to Atlantic coasts - some hill snow occurring across the far northwest through the day. Becoming mostly dry elsewhere with sunny spells and light southwest breezes. Highest temperatures of just 4 to 8 degrees, coldest across Ulster and north Leinster. Frost for a time early in the night. 

FRIDAY: Present indications suggest stormy conditions will occur, very wet and very windy, with warnings likely to come into operation. Relatively mild with highest temperatures of 9 to 12 degrees. 

Ingredients are there for a deep storm this week. It's just a case of wait and see

• Like 1

Posted

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland

A potentially stormy spell of weather is likely later this week and over the Christmas weekend. In particular, Friday looks like bringing stormy weather, with the north and west most at risk, but the details are still uncertain at this stage.

Issued:

Monday 19 December 2016 13:00

Valid:

Thursday 22 December 2016 12:00 to Monday 26 December 2016 23:59

• Like 2

Posted

Did anybody see the huge green meteor this evening at about 5.10pm?? I had an amazing view of it!!

Posted

I seen one back in October and it was unreal. NW to SE, lasted maybe 4/5 seconds and burned off in a bright green colour. Anyway the models have to storm further north but still plenty of time for change. Not sure whats going on with the ECM at the minute. Defintely not on board with other models at the minute. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Time will tell Boofer, anyway if the "cold fronted winter"  can be so wrong perhaps so to can a mild second half 

Yep i agree 100% anything can happen its just the old slug that keeps popping up.

Posted

I thought with all the pre-warnings on facebook appearing I'd come on for a nosey......same old same old then in mod thread :rofl:

at least it looks like a change from the current dross this weekend.....even a strong breeze would be a change. I can't complain but as the builders have the new house watertight :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy

Yea it was nice to see a good frost again this morning. It's nice to be getting some  actual weather again. 

• Like 1

Posted

After a few days downgrades the 18z has interestingly reduced the intensity of the Xmas day storm and bringing in slightly colder air. Precipitation charts showing potential for snow on the big evening...

gfs-2-120.png

Edited by Sperrin

Posted
On 19/12/2016 at 14:09, Abyss said:

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland

A potentially stormy spell of weather is likely later this week and over the Christmas weekend. In particular, Friday looks like bringing stormy weather, with the north and west most at risk, but the details are still uncertain at this stage.

Issued:

Monday 19 December 2016 13:00

Valid:

Thursday 22 December 2016 12:00 to Monday 26 December 2016 23:59

I actually think these warnings may be downgraded or removed altogether for Ireland. 

Posted

I dont think they will be removed but it looks rubbish for a decent storm now as the Euro high pushes everything North.

In the extended zero chance of a colder pattern despite one or two hope casters saying otherwise.

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah to be honest this winter is turning into a nightmare of all proportions. ! For me it's much worse than last year to get actual winter weather! Not just snow. The borefest continues. Lesson to learn- never ever ever ever go by background signals! Look no more than 6 days in advance. Even that is pushing it. !!!!!!!!

Edited by Neiller22

Posted

Pretty intense squall line just moved through Omagh, snow falling as well. Blizzard like conditions for 10 mins. Far too wet for it to lay. 

Gives it to stay very chilly all day, wonder if higher ground will get a covering later on?

Screenshot_20161221-094843.png

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Neiller22 said:

I actually think these warnings may be downgraded or removed altogether for Ireland. 

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Coastal regions and high ground of Donegal, Galway and Mayo
Very windy on Friday: Southerly winds, later west to southwest of 65 to 75 km/h with severe gusts between 100 and 120 km/h.
Issued:Wednesday 21 December 2016 10:00
Valid:Friday 23 December 2016 06:00 to Friday 23 December 2016 18:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Rest of the country
Very windy on Friday: Southerly winds, later west to southwest of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts between 90 and 110 km/h, strongest on exposed coasts.
Issued:Wednesday 21 December 2016 10:00
Valid:Friday 23 December 2016 06:00 to Friday 23 December 2016 18:00

But yeah pretty pitiful compared to what could have been.

Edited by Abyss

Posted

The only solace in the model output is that the Met Office expect any colder air to come from the North West over the next few weeks, that's if it comes at all of course. If you live in SE England you can write off January.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Exciting

Squally hailstones this morning woke me up. Closed my eyes again and a flash of lightning came through my lids. Quite exciting.

Screenshot_2016-12-21-09-49-13.png

Screenshot_2016-12-21-09-42-39.png

• Like 4