Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Yeah we certainly need rid of this current high!! It really is groundhog day at the minute. We need a reset and see where we go from there. As you say Boofer around the 18th/19th is our point of interest.

• Like 2

Posted

I love front loaded winters! This is brilliant. Can we have the same next year. Because I'm sorry this is worse than last year! I had more snow then! Give me cold zoanality any day of the week over this crap! And a good storm. At least it's winter weather ! I sick hearing people say it's not the same as last  year! Eh it is! Except we had more snow already by this time last year so it could be actually worse! Background signals mean diddly squat and it's why I never got sucked in by the signs being touted in the first place! Snow will be very limited indeed this year. 

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Its mad how during much of the autumn the possibility of a good winter or at least the first half looked a good bet. Here we are a week into winter and it seems to be all  falling apart.  Couldnt make it up really. Just shows as always what can go wrong for getting cold in this part of the world does go wrong. Not that ive given up hope yet or anything,but a lot of doubt must be creeping into peoples minds,mine included.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

I love front loaded winters! This is brilliant. Can we have the same next year. Because I'm sorry this is worse than last year! I had more snow then! Give me cold zoanality any day of the week over this crap! And a good storm. At least it's winter weather ! I sick hearing people say it's not the same as last  year! Eh it is! Except we had more snow already by this time last year so it could be actually worse! Background signals mean diddly squat and it's why I never got sucked in by the signs being touted in the first place! Snow will be very limited indeed this year. 

To be fair though the autumn just gone was much more  seasonal overall compared to last yr. Nov especially,nov 2015 apart from a very brief cold snap was dire. We didnt get much cold zonality last yr as far as i remember.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 2

Posted
59 minutes ago, Neiller22 said:

I love front loaded winters!  

Maybe it will be front loaded. We could get +20 degrees in January & February!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Maybe it will be front loaded. We could get +20 degrees in January & February!

:rofl: u wouldn't bet on it! 

Posted
9 minutes ago, booferking said:

And another GFS OP run keeps the dream alive leading upto Xmas hope this trend continues.

Anything is possible and because nobody is really hinting at  it it will prob happen! :nonono:

• Like 2

Posted

Its the last hope because if a Northerly doesnt occur around month end, with the PV cranking up, we will need to wait for Winters end for another chance.

• Like 2

Posted

Is their light at the end of the tunnel? For the first time this winter I'm getting a glint in my eye! I Cannot believe I'm saying this after  all my doom and gloom but looking at stuff in a good bit of detail I think there is maybe a shift in emphasis taking place in the fore sable future! Their is a very outside chance things may start to change for the better shortly. Op runs may start to change more favourable in the days to come. :cold:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I would say there's an increased probability of a North or North Westerly airstream around Christmas week.

All to play for.

Yep this has been a growing trend one to watch.:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Just for fun,this is GFS ensemble mean temp.anomaly,latest run for Christmas eve. Ireland and UK are by far the mildest places of similar latitude,to choose 1 day per year when I want snow and cold this is it

gensnh-21-0-384.png

• Like 1

Posted

And there goes the blocked scenario the Met office touted so much !. Mild west with rain and maybe colder in the east. Honestly why do they bother. I'm far from an expert but good god that's egg in your face right there for them. And all those that said it wont be the same as last year. Look out the window. It is ! So no snow by looks of it to at least start of Jan now so that will basically leave 8 weeks for proper cold spell as I don't rate March snow. Only once in a blue moon does it pay off. So is winter going to be a big splash like last year? I say a fair chance!

Posted

This month is quickly turning into a farce. Oh well there's always Jan and Feb.....

Posted
2 hours ago, sundog said:

This month is quickly turning into a farce. Oh well there's always Jan and Feb.....

And before you know it those months will be gone chasing and spring is here! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Neiller22 said:

And before you know it those months will be gone chasing and spring is here! 

Yes indeed. The same sad old story probably.

Posted

It's not all over yet, we don't want snow too early in december anyway, not great for lowland areas. Sure models have flipped again tonight to a possible easterly, will be different again in the morning

Posted

Is it a worry that meto fergieweather says possible battleground an used reading ens as example, are we wrong side or could easterly drift? As we know a few hundred miles in meteorology is nothing.

Posted

Just back from work. That was an interesting 7 pages on the model thread. To be honest i had actually thrown in the towel after yesterdays output but the pub run has given a little hope. Without an initial Northerly or North Westerly then an Easterly doesn't really interest me, would rather a more North Easterly to get the convection far enough West. To be honest i really can't take the model output seriously at the minute. -5/6 a couple of weeks ago, 16 degrees 2 days ago(thats a 21 degree diference!!!) Northerly's, North Westerly's, South Westerly's, Crazy Atlantic storms and whatever else has all been in the output the past few weeks and none of it has come off the way it was modelled. Its all to play for and god knows what the 00z is gonna throw out over the next couple of hours but some crucial runs coming up so eyes down and maybe a few deciders in the output over the coming days. 

• Like 1

Posted

I've given up on December anyway. Unless GP's thoughts prevail, but to me it's very doubtful. He's gone very quiet!