Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 hour ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Treacherous roads this morning,  lovely and white as well,  a nice cool period ahead,  will help lower the soil temperature for our future big falls of snow to stick ;)

Exactly what i was thinking this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Weather company Europe shared this on twitter. Ireland remains below average temperature every day out to the end of the run. Not sure what model they use (assuming ECM as the GFS 6z is showing much colder in early December).

Beautiful crisp morning today, going to be even colder overnight tonight and tomorrow.

IMG_20161119_142519.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

I just cannot get excited about any of the output. I really don't see anything that makes me think proper cold and snow is on the way. I don't think December is going to meet people's expectations. My money is on normal fair 

Posted

Everything frozen hard here this morning and the 0z GFS really bringing home the bacon into the first/second week of December.

Hopefully we will see some firming up on that over the next few days.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

My first airfrost of the season i recorded last night, min temp -1.6c with a severe frost. My coldest nov night since nov 2010. 

just gone above freezing here 0.1c.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, ForeverPomeroysnow said:

Here @Sperrin did you go out to support your man who was doing the 24 hour loughmacrory run, don't know how he would even see with thon fog

Didn't get over, Pom. However, I did see them setting up the spotlights etc yesterday when I had my wee man over at football training. Not that they would have been much help last night, probably would have increased visibility from sweet fe*k all to just fe*k all!!

Lowest air temperature in Ireland recorded in Castlederg last night at -4.4 degrees. Still a very heavy frost lying at the minute. 

Edit: why did my post just change fe*k to stained glass window???

Edited by Sperrin
  • Like 1

Posted

@Sperrin To answer your question in the model thread there is a shortwave which forms of the main low in the tip of Greenland, in the GFS 00z the shortwave stays a lot closer to the North Eastern seaboard but in the GFS 06z it is 100s of miles further east which stops the WAA pumping into Greenland area

gfsnh-0-222.png

gfsnh-0-216.png

28th to 29th Nov is the time frames to watch quite a few of 06Z ENS back the 00Z op run earlier which is good 

Edited by booferking
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Cold weather.

Best frost so far here this morning. Still pretty white where the sun ain't got a grip. More of the same please. Hope we get some snow this year, we'll be a long time waiting for something like 2010 again!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

welcome fergie.

The coldest day of the season here so far,in fact the coldest day of the year so far,max temp 3.1c which being a colder max then any day last winter. Gotten a bit foggy in the last while,temp 1.1c.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snooow
2 hours ago, carboncowboy75 said:

Absolutely baltic outside I was just out with the dog and the ground is very slippy

Yup, was out for a walk a few hours ago and there was still frozen puddles and bits of frost on cars and roofs.

Freezing  :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Minus 3.1 on N81 Baltinglass,as usual the coldest place according to NRA website, it was -3.6 earlier the freezing fog traps the cold air that decends down from Wicklow mountains,it was 3 degrees warmer earlier on top of Wicklow gap then down here in Hollywood village which stayed below freezing all day, probably first time since 2010!

• Like 2

Posted

Not too often we find ourselves in this position...

FB_IMG_1479675783694.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

was up in the sliabh beaghs earlier and still a great cover of snow. about 4 or 5 inches at 300 mts asl. all froze up solid so will be hard to shift. great wee cold spell so early in season.

• Like 2

Posted

These are average temperatures over the coming 48 hours based on expected climate for this time of year. The vast swathe of reds indicate that most of mainland Europe is above what is usually expected where as ourselves, Scotland, Portugal and most of Spain are well below average. 

For instance, most of Ireland appears to be around 3 degrees cooler than the norm. 

Hopefully that is an accurate enough description!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sperrin said:

These are average temperatures over the coming 48 hours based on expected climate for this time of year. The vast swathe of reds indicate that most of mainland Europe is above what is usually expected where as ourselves, Scotland, Portugal and most of Spain are well below average. 

For instance, most of Ireland appears to be around 3 degrees cooler than the norm. 

Hopefully that is an accurate enough description!

Was looking at the graph and kinda half worked that out. Cheers for explaining. Tonight will see the coldest temps of the season so far. The frost from last night didn't even ligft in some spots today and everything frozen solid again by 7pm. This week is looking great with some dry settled frosty weather. Something tells me that going forward in to December we are going to have a great start to winter. Haven't looked at the model thread tonight but the 12z seemed to hint at a cracking  northerly to start the winter. Fingers crossed anyway.