Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think it's sleeting here, right on the edge of the precipitation. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

It's like that gloopy precipitation that you get when snowflakes partially melt higher up but retain their shape. It's getting heavier so let's see. 

• Like 2

Posted

That's definitely sleet. In the garden now and feel some flakes and  making  crunch sound on impact, falling slower than you would expect with just  rain. More flakes in heavier birsts. 

• Like 2

Posted

I swear it's getting colder out there much colder this afternoon than this morning -is this evaporative cooling a change in wind direction or the first signs of the HP?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

But concerned about further south... extremely heavy slow moving rain moving over river valley's.. it's going to lead to flooding or worse perhaps something akin to a 2004 Boscastle type event in the ravines and valleys in Devon and South Wales

Posted

Well the sleet didn't last long this morning, about half an hour and then I went to bed. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Just rain here today but bitterly cold wind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

It's nasty out there! Temp has dropped last few hours from 5.5c/6c to 3.5........,soup weather

Posted

A good chance of 60mph gusts across western parts of the NW tonight, with eastern-facing slopes, N.Wales, and the Irish Sea bearing the brunt of the winds.

Posted

The Manchester rain shadow is in full effect today. While I wouldn't describe it as dry, there's been a persistent patch of low intensity or no rainfall shown over the area in the radar loop all day. Adjacent high ground has been getting a good soaking though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Absolutely horrid day today. It has been raining for 10 hours pretty solidly with a brief respite between about 1-2. Surface water flooding on the roads, pretty deep in places. Absolutely vile. The wind is starting to whip up now as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

For those people moaning at the output of late, today is a timely reminder of our usual November weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Have to say this is one of the worst feeling days I can remember for a long while. Only 4°C with driving rain and the strong north-easterly .  If it was a little colder I would be buried in snow by now. Nice to get a bit of sleet this morning but doesn't make up for the terrible weather now. . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Ramp said:

For those people moaning at the output of late, today is a timely reminder of our usual November weather.

This isn't usual November weather though is it. Some areas further S must have seen 100mm+ over past 3 days or so. That's pretty exceptional.

These 2 systems haven't been your usual zonal W-E warm front then cold front jobbys. They've been absolute rain makers. To rain for 10 hours solid is excessive...and it's still going.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
36 minutes ago, alr1970 said:

The Manchester rain shadow is in full effect today. While I wouldn't describe it as dry, there's been a persistent patch of low intensity or no rainfall shown over the area in the radar loop all day. Adjacent high ground has been getting a good soaking though.

Yes I've been down in Manchester today and it was windy and bits of rain, but back here in Oldham it's a little bit more windy but noticeably wetter.  That said I think most areas will be getting some of the intense rainfall that's filtering in from the south as the radar showing some deep reds.

Nasty unusual wind direction too, most us weathered to the prevalent westerlies.  Shock to the system when it's comes the other way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

This isn't usual November weather though is it. Some areas further S must have seen 100mm+ over past 3 days or so. That's pretty exceptional.

These 2 systems haven't been your usual zonal W-E warm front then cold front jobbys. They've been absolute rain makers. To rain for 10 hours solid is excessive...and it's still going.

Living in Lancashire I can assure you that 10 hours + of heavy rain is not out of the ordinary. 

We've had countless days of this in past summers never mind November.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, alr1970 said:

The Manchester rain shadow is in full effect today.

rainshads.JPG

The high ground to the south east & east (Peak District/Pennies) is Greater Manchester's worse nightmare, when weather needs to come from that direction.  Just be thankful there's no potential for snow..because it's probably the only time when places around the area get's a decent dumping, but the mancunians and maybe places just to the north of the area are left with a few dying flakes in the air.  It happened in January 2013.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,blizzards and storms

Cats, dogs and now thunder and lightening. Flooding looks quite possible

• Like 1

Posted

Some strong gusts occurring can hear it down the chimney then a boom on the window and temp has dropped

Posted
1 minute ago, dr snow said:

Cats, dogs and now thunder and lightening. Flooding looks quite possible

I don't want no thunder or lightening makes me feel uneasy 

Posted

Loudest rumble of thunder a minute or two ago. Stream of rain rolling down the hill. 

• Like 1