Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
Just now, shadowfax said:

Heavy hail /grauple now giving an icy covering 

And thunder; after a wet horrible start, everything is white again now up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

There is a small chance tomorrow if the precipitation moves further north than progged, we could get snow via evaporative cooling in the south of the region. as it stands dewpoints are just the wrong side of 0C but that could change if the ppn band moves further north than expected. As it stands ice pellets could be a feature for southern areas but only skimming the south of the region

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 hour ago, SP1986 said:

Thdecisionsis a small chance tomorro w if the precipitation moves further north than progged, we could get snow via evaporative cooling in the south of the region. as it stands dewpoints are just the wrong side of 0C but that could change if the ppn band moves further north than expected. As it stands ice pellets could be a feature for southern areas but only skimming the south of the region

On dog walking duty tomorrow i think my wellies will come in handy

Rather than my snow boots

However if i take pooch 200m up in the hills Then maybe my snow

Boots will come in handy...decisIons decisions

C.S

Posted

Showers have been of rain this morning, not as frequent or as wintry as yesterday.  Still feels fresh outside.  I'm praying I will be too far north for any filth from tomorrow's low pressure and have a chance of a rain free day.  I fear we may be on it's northern edge and suffer a few hours of v.cold rainfall.  The south will get cop the worse of it, for a change.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
45 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

There is a small chance tomorrow if the precipitation moves further north than progged, we could get snow via evaporative cooling in the south of the region. as it stands dewpoints are just the wrong side of 0C but that could change if the ppn band moves further north than expected. As it stands ice pellets could be a feature for southern areas but only skimming the south of the region

Glad we're thinking along the same lines, but as you say we need heavier precip for anything to happen, don't think surface temps will get low enough before the front arrives either. Rea  ice pellets...Is there a warm inversion aloft somewhere? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Well surface temperatures at precipitation arrival time may be around 0-2 degrees. Dewpoints will be the same.. but where the temperatures hover around 0C there will be ice pellets.Cold rain more than likely but it really is on a knife edge... nothing can be dismissed at this stage. it's not so much a warm inversion aloft as much as there a shallow temperature gradient, this not allowing the depth for good snow production in the atmosphere... that said.. who knows .. we've seen snow in similar situations before and been taken surprise by it.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
4 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Well surface temperatures at precipitation arrival time may be around 0-2 degrees. Dewpoints will be the same.. but where the temperatures hover around 0C there will be ice pellets.Cold rain more than likely but it really is on a knife edge... nothing can be dismissed at this stage. it's not so much a warm inversion aloft as much as there a shallow temperature gradient, this not allowing the depth for good snow production in the atmosphere... that said.. who knows .. we've seen snow in similar situations before and been taken surprise by it.

See what you mean. We've got lucky sometimes in the past from these setups, more so than others so let's wait and see. I'll do an all-nighter if necessary.  The fact that we are even talking about another marginal snow event in November before winter has even begun is such a nice change from recent winters. 

Posted

Indeed quite an impressive November so far in comparison to last few.

If anyone is going to see some tomorrow it'll be Manchester area.. perhaps Wilmslow.. that kind of area.

Posted

BTW: I may inadvertently have created a wetbulb thermometer after leaving my spare sensor out in the rain so that might be useful tonight lol.

Posted

Monday could also be interesting as well if we could bring the start time forward and get the precip to go a bit further north again. 

Posted

Lovely wintry scenes in the Lake District today. Fells are thick with snow, down to low levels - the white scenes against the last of the autumn colours is superb- fantastic opportunity for photographers wanting such scenes. Tomorrow promises to be a cracking day - remaining dry and cold after a light frost. 

Cold today, 3 degree max most likely.

Posted

The southeast could be in trouble tonight... it's got slight eerie connection to 1987 albeit unlikely to be that severe. could be some damage even so... not much notice being taken really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, SP1986 said:

The southeast could be in trouble tonight... it's got slight eerie connection to 1987 albeit unlikely to be that severe. could be some damage even so... not much notice being taken really

I'm certainly aware, but not for gales but for rain, Monday looks the worst not Sunday, so Monday I assume storm Barbara?

Posted

At least it's been given the name (Angus), which will help with awareness. 

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'm certainly aware, but not for gales but for rain, Monday looks the worst not Sunday, so Monday I assume storm Barbara?

Could well be if impact is predicted to be severe enough. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just heard thunder!! It was chucking it down with hail and recovered the roads here after earlier hail showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Heavy snow and thunder here at the moment but temperatures are still a bit to high for it to settle and most of what's on the ground came yesterday

image.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Heavy snow and thunder here at the moment but temperatures are still a bit to high for it to settle and most of what's on the ground came yesterday

image.jpg

Very  nice, and you've got the Christmas baubles out already.  Looks very festive in the snow.  The line of showers are feeding to the north of GMcr area. We've had the longest period of unbroken sunshine for quite some time here, if anybody watching the United/Arsenal game will bear witness too.  Low level sunshine.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
6 minutes ago, dodgeredee said:

Very  nice, and you've got the Christmas baubles out already.  Looks very festive in the snow.  The line of showers are feeding to the north of GMcr area. We've had the longest period of unbroken sunshine for quite some time here, if anybody watching the United/Arsenal game will bear witness too.  Low level sunshine.

No even sadder than that, they're still up from last year:D

Anyway the snow has stopped and we've joined in with some of your sunshine now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just had a nice heavy hail shower and topped up the existing  hail cover.

Save to say it is a cm thick. :cold:

002.JPG

003.JPG

006.JPG

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

AROME says no to snow on lower ground tomorrow. No model is infallible but I like this one as it's got it pretty much bang on for the last few times.

3032_xdy1.png

Posted
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Lovely wintry scenes in the Lake District today. Fells are thick with snow, down to low levels - the white scenes against the last of the autumn colours is superb- fantastic opportunity for photographers wanting such scenes. Tomorrow promises to be a cracking day - remaining dry and cold after a light frost. 

Cold today, 3 degree max most likely.

Yup, the snowdome was penetrated last night - if only on a covering on cars, grass and roofs by the time i got up, went for a walkabout on the hills this morning and they are very very thick with snow - easily a foot deep in parts - it's amazing what a tiny bit of altitude can do, managed to avoid what was clearly a blizzard passing over by about ten - fifteen minutes as well.

Edited by Deep Snow please