Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Snake Pass is currently shut, many motorists ignoring the closed-road signs assuming that because it's clear in Glossop/Ladybower that everything is fine on the summit. As I can vouch from experience, the summit of the Snake Pass is a completely different environment at 1600ft and any accident caused by ignoring the closed-road signs voids your insurance warranty.

1.thumb.jpg.a23da7ba4cae973ebb677cd6a8551df3.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I drove towards snake pass and indeed it was shut. So I parked up in glossop and took my dogs out in shire hill. It wasn't very pleasurable haha. Wet snow and wind. My dogs got very muddy. Driving back to Tameside now, and it's just sleet.

What a rubbish cold spell this was, did we even get a frost?

Roll on spring!!

IMG_5445.JPG

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the peaks getting hammered.

Imby been snowing moderately but not cold enougg to stick so just watching the snowfalling as it probs wont happen again until nov onwards..

• Like 2

Posted
On 09/02/2017 at 20:55, northwestsnow said:

.Icy cold feeling today in a strong bitter wind. Just on the edge of the precipitation band, we've even had a few blue patches in the sky. Not expecting anything particularly wintry, might see a bit of sleety stuff. The snowline over Lakeland hills is much higher than the Pennines oddly, currently 550 metres. We don't do well in easterlies for snow. 

Posted

Well for the 99% of the region that doesn't live at the top of farmer joe's farm in the highest peaks, this cold spell has been wretched.  Yes we've had the cold winds, and it's felt as though it surely must snow when it arrives.  Alas it's turned out to be an insult to winters past.  Yes snow flurries in the air, but of the non-stick variety as soon as it touches down.  There's a back-edge to the easterly band of icy cold wetness, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last swansong of a promising but ultimately disappointing winter of 2016-17.  I've already seen snowdrops sprouting from ground, let's hope they get a spring awakening in the next few weeks.

• Like 4

Posted

Chucking it down and windy what a lovely Winter

Edited by itsnowjoke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Was snowing at 250M, dry back home

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

what a horrible weekends weather

so much promise turns into the sort of let down that only our region seems to be able to pull off and the end result of an afternoon's heavy snow is absolutely zero covering at 1000ft.

higher up its a different matter and the summit of the road from Bacup to Burnley was quite tricky in places with snow drifting off the fields but even up there little has actually accumulated.

down here it's now sleet at best and a horrible raw feel to the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Yet another let down, been out and the wind is absolutely freezing yet away from hill tops all we can manage is rain and sleet? :cc_confused: sums up our vile climate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

You just know as most of us turn our attention to spring warmth,the models will through out some proper winter charts just to prolong the agony.

C.S. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, cheshire snow said:

You just know as most of us turn our attention to spring warmth,the models will through out some proper winter charts just to prolong the agony.

C.S. 

already happened on GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Yet again no rain for almost a week. It really has been very dry this winter apart from the odd wet few days. 

Posted

I know it has been a generally dry winter, but Imby it hasn't really felt that dry. Yeah ok there hasn't been hardly any storms or high amounts of rainfall.

But even under the high pressure there were a lot of drizzly/misty damp days when it was forecast to be dry. 

As a result, apart from when it had been frosty my dog walks have mostly been squelchy muddy ones.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
29 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

already happened on GFS

Indeed it has quite a huge spread on the ENS from the 19th though.

C.S. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Close on 4 years now without more than 1cm of snow that lasted more than an hour, utterly depressing!

• Like 5

Posted

Countryfile forecast mentioning the possibility of thundery showers here in the west for Wednesday, at least the weather this winter has been throwing all-kinds of variables about. January though was dire with that high slap-bang over the UK yet bringing nothing but clouded out days and consistent fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Spring can spring in Feb, stronger sun, next week could be springlike, Tues 7th definitely was, saw WH timelapse, and definite sun convective clouds there, here too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

I'm fed up up with this winter now,yet again so much promised then nothing happens. Off to Spain midweek, warm and sunny but an hour away I can have so much snow to play in.........perfect

• Like 4