Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

Amber Warning for winds Thursday...... I thought this would have generated some discussion. 

Yep and me  80mph in some areas are possible  even inland as far as myself  could be noteworthy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Just seen the warnings for Thursday. Cumbria also under snow warning too. 

Posted

Western-facing slopes of the Pennines are sure to bear the brunt of Doris as the windfield strengthens through Thursday morning, although the higher snowdepths are looking to be in the southern uplands/cheviots with 15cm accumulation plus drifting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
3 hours ago, frosty ground said:

Amber Warning for winds Thursday...... I thought this would have generated some discussion. 

Here you go.

Surfs up!

Discuss

ukgust.png

Posted

What a distgusting climate the NW ofEngland has, rain rain and more rain, cant get precip near us when its cold ( even though it rarely is) and then bam, as soon as it gets milder its rain all the way.

Just watched matt taylor and sat shaking my head, it really is the most pathetic depressing climate in the uk.

Depressing!

• Like 3

Posted

It can be wretched at times, and I'm starting to realise why, when people reach a certain age they fly off to find places with at least a bit more sun & warmth.  We've had our dry spell over winter, it's time to get used to the mild rain sodden westerlies again.

Thursday looking like a brutal day, but there won't be any snow in my backyard, maybe quite a bit of water though.  Is this 'Doris's second bite at the cherry, wasn't a previous storm downgraded in advance of being named Doris?  Maybe she'll vent her fury even more at this slight.

Edit:  Just found out from this http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7978;sess=  A few of the usual suspects jumping the gun.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I'm looking forward to Storm Doris on Thursday. It is going to be a interesting day!!

About time a decent Atlantic storm is heading our way!! :)  It has been a very quiet Winter so far.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A mate at work said we were going to get mugged by Doris on Thursday and I didn't believe him but looking at the warning area, it could get very nasty across the region as the low passes through.

whether the winds are accompanied by wet or white remains to be seen but I wouldn't like to be on the top of Cross Fell on Thursday.

meanwhile another day's rain to add to Monday's miserable conditions and what seems to have been weeks of gloom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Even Di Oxberry is on board with Thursdays forecast for high winds so it looks set to be a bit nasty.

Unsurprisingly she did downplay the snow risk though saying it would be limited to the highest ground only and I must admin I think she will be right with that one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Don't forget there is a dedicated thread on Doris now as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

What a distgusting climate the NW ofEngland has, rain rain and more rain, cant get precip near us when its cold ( even though it rarely is) and then bam, as soon as it gets milder its rain all the way.

Just watched matt taylor and sat shaking my head, it really is the most pathetic depressing climate in the uk.

Depressing!

Here here! :wallbash:

Posted

Winds getting up here, oh and it's still raining.

as others have said, if it was snow that was forecast we'd be as dry as the Atacami but we never miss out on the rain.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Depressing!

Richard of Aberdeen will not agree with you,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

How long before the red warning from meto?

Posted

Thursday definately not looking a day to be out on the Lakeland Fells or Pennine tops, storm force winds, heavy driving snow causing blizzards for a time and a severe wind chill. Indeed Thursday is looking a nasty day for some.. could be some local disruption to travel, thankfully the ground isn't saturated otherwise there would be a risk of flooding to boot.

As for snow, suspect reserved for higher ground only, perhaps some sleety wet stuff low down once the low tracks through and we see winds pull down from the north, indeed greater chance of wintry conditions will be overnight as we see sub 528 dam air and chance of showers from the NW. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hi all, long time lurker here, but first time posting. I often come to the north west forums when there is a hint of wintry weather but I've been reading posts tonight and wanted to share that the Thelwall Viaduct already has a speed reduction out (not that rare I know) but drove over it earlier and absolutely could feel the gusts on my car. Could be wild on Thursday, take care.

• Like 1

Posted

Don't know what to think about Doris. It's abit exciting that we are actually getting abit of weather. However I'm worried about damage to property etc as the winds seem to be affecting our region the most. 

Shame it isn't tracking just a bit lower so more of the region could maybe have more of a chance of snow?! 

Posted

Amber warning of wind moved south covering more of England for tomorrow but snow warning covering less of England. That sucks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Very bullish wording on the updated warnings. Widespread  disruption  likely. 

Posted

It's looking quite nasty isn't it tomorrow? It was almost 3 years to the day, we had the red warned storm (Feb 2014) that caused 90mph+ gusts at times.