Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
1 minute ago, robbo88 said:

I went to sleep at 4am it was coming down steady and starting to stick. Woke up at 7 to drizzle. Just drove to work, there's the odd bit of sleet mixed in with the rain and the grounds very wet with lots of puddles. 

What a shame I was expecting a few cm before it turned this morning.

Aye.

One last slap in the face before winter draws to a close..

Hope we get a nice summer

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
43 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

It's been like this since at least 02:00 this morning, and nothing here. got to be a cosmic joke :p

erfwerwer.jpg

I live towards the bottom edge of the darker area and can confirm that we've only got a couple of cm's of wet snow with little falling to top it up......and that's at a decent altitude so unfortunately I'd say little hope for those lower down and further west.

Maybe hills of similar height on the eastern side of the Pennines are getting more and I'd imagine the higher parts of the Peaks and Yorkshire Dales are getting a pasting but here it's sleety at best.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I wouldn't surprise if the Summer heat would only last a couple of days. Last few years in the Summer have been poor. Heat wise, only last a couple of days. The thunderstorms were impressive but I rather have atleast 2 or more weeks of hot weather before it ends as a thundery breakdown, which is rare around here. Its rare to get temperatures above 30C these days. :(

So Summer is just as much dissapointing as Winter is. Sadly.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, pip22 said:

I wouldn't surprise if the Summer heat would only last a couple of days. Last few years in the Summer have been poor. Heat wise, only last a couple of days. The thunderstorms were impressive but I rather have atleast 2 or more weeks of hot weather before it ends as a thundery breakdown, which is rare around here. Its rare to get temperatures above 30C these days. :(

So Summer is just as much dissapointing as Winter is. Sadly.

Its very rare if not nearly impossible to have 2 weeks of hot weather though so your expectations are quite high. i thought last summer around here was a decent one, especially June where our region was heavily favoured when you compared to those on the East Coast with persistent low cloud and sea mist. One good thing about moving here is that I won't mind seeing charts such as SE'lies because more chance of getting sunshine instead of sea fog!

As for today, going as forecast, very little PPN on this side of the pennines and on the other side, a horrible grotty winter's day! Yuk!

Posted

Just a cm or two of snizzle that's accumulated over open-surfaces here overnight, certainly not the 10cm that the models were forecasting over the higher routes and the main issue has been ice, with a few cars being caught-out at the usual Cat&Fiddle pass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Interesting BBC forecast for overnight and throughout Sunday with snow shown on the Pennines.

this has now been backed up with a Met O warning issued for the spine of Northern England including the extreme east of our region with several inches of snow possible.

again height will no doubt be critical but with warmer uppers predicted for later today and more so tomorrow, this certainly looks like an upgrade.

from a personal perspective it could be an interesting drive over Deerplay to the Burnley Chelsea game at Sunday lunchtime.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Interesting BBC forecast for overnight and throughout Sunday with snow shown on the Pennines.

this has now been backed up with a Met O warning issued for the spine of Northern England including the extreme east of our region with several inches of snow possible.

again height will no doubt be critical but with warmer uppers predicted for later today and more so tomorrow, this certainly looks like an upgrade.

from a personal perspective it could be an interesting drive over Deerplay to the Burnley Chelsea game at Sunday lunchtime.

They said it could fall to lower ground overnight.

Anybody know all conditions for tonight?

Temps,dp,wet bulb ect? 

Posted
32 minutes ago, joggs said:

They said it could fall to lower ground overnight.

Anybody know all conditions for tonight?

Temps,dp,wet bulb ect? 

Yes im very confused by this as the dews look above zero .. looks like a no-no to me unless your 300m and some..

edit slushy deposits below 150m 2 to 5 cm above 250m.

As i suspected high ground event only.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Yes im very confused by this as the dews look above zero .. looks like a no-no to me unless your 300m and some..

It is very annoying when places lower down, in other parts have snow! *sigh* the wait for a good dumping continues.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, James M said:

It is very annoying when places lower down, in other parts have snow! *sigh* the wait for a good dumping continues.

1 minute ago, James M said:

Sure is James.

To be honest i dont even feel disappointed today. Transient events dont float my boat,and its usually crappy wet snow when you can hear the drip drip drip sounds from roofs when the snow is falling.

I have done plenty of reminiscing (sp) over the last few days and i can honestly say the very best winter memories for me were the late 70's right through to probably 1987. I started secondary school in sept 1985 and i remember fondly the winter that year, frozen pipes, being sent home (walking over the lows) 

Rrea00119851127.gif

Rrea00119860208.gif

Them wer't days..

• Like 1

Posted

It is frustrating but northwest England and interesting weather are seldom used in the same sentence.

maybe something on its way for later though and I'd have thought Saddleworth would be in a prime spot for anything coming over the tops from the east.

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It is frustrating but northwest England and interesting weather are seldom used in the same sentence.

maybe something on its way for later though and I'd have thought Saddleworth would be in a prime spot for anything coming over the tops from the east.

I realized a long time ago North west England is a horrific place to be  for Snow Ian.

The reasons are varied but imo its not that far behind SW England, Cumbria in particular is gruesome for snow,it really is.

• Like 1

Posted

Still snowing lightly here but even less on the ground now than earlier this morning.

it certainly looks like the Met have called this right with altitude being critical but even my decent amount isn't sufficient.

anyway off out with the dog now and hopefully there is something more substantial at the top of the hill.

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/02/2017 at 12:44, mark blackpool said:

Great stuff, you don't see forecasts like that very often, 96 was a good year for snow for the North West, there was this, the feb event and another snow event in the November if I remember correctly!

what we had was a polar low that ended up in the Irish sea which then fed us copious amounts of snow. That winter was cold anyway, from the frequent Northerly outbreaks.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

I realized a long time ago North west England is a horrific place to be  for Snow Ian.

The reasons are varied but imo its not that far behind SW England, Cumbria in particular is gruesome for snow,it really is.

in my part of the world, there are the Northern Hills to our North, there are the pennines to the east, and peak district too, which stop pretty much everything dead reaching here.  Then we have the Welsh mountains which also do a job in stop any snow from reaching here.

This next winter coming, will also happen to coincide with the lowest solar minimum in over a century, the lowest number of sunspots ever recorded since 1755.  how that will play out in the upcoming winter 2017/18 is anyone's guess but it could be a good one, although i would have thought this year would have been good to due to low solar minimum.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

in my part of the world, there are the Northern Hills to our North, there are the pennines to the east, and peak district too, which stop pretty much everything dead reaching here.  Then we have the Welsh mountains which also do a job in stop any snow from reaching here.

This next winter coming, will also happen to coincide with the lowest solar minimum in over a century, the lowest number of sunspots ever recorded since 1755.  how that will play out in the upcoming winter 2017/18 is anyone's guess but it could be a good one, although i would have thought this year would have been good to due to low solar minimum.

Agreed.which begs the question is something else basically over riding enso/mjo/ qbo / ssts etc etc 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I've lived up here since 1989 , prior to that between 61-88 I grew up in Birmingham,the snowfall up here is poor by comparison ,i remember lots of heavy snow in brum

Posted
On 09/02/2017 at 20:55, northwestsnow said:

Sorry but sometimes I can't produce a blank thread.. so ignore why it is in this format. Anyhow, well a drab dank grey day here, not feeling especially cold, thanks to only a slight breeze, indeed temps have climbed to 5 degrees, so very average feeling. Spits and spots of rain only. The snowline is about 500 metres, must be alot of warm mixing of the air today, quite unusual and certainly not the 10 cm snow that was forecast on ground above 300 metres. Very very poor easterly, seen many a colder 'westerly'! Still the higher fells in the east should have a very decent cover come tomorrow, with further snow expected overnight and into tomorrow. Roll on the spring northerlies!

Posted

Sure is James.

To be honest i dont even feel disappointed today. Transient events dont float my boat,and its usually crappy wet snow when you can hear the drip drip drip sounds from roofs when the snow is falling.

I have done plenty of reminiscing (sp) over the last few days and i can honestly say the very best winter memories for me were the late 70's right through to probably 1987. I started secondary school in sept 1985 and i remember fondly the winter that year, frozen pipes, being sent home (walking over the lows) 

Rrea00119851127.gif

Rrea00119860208.gif

Them wer't days..

I remember that November one really well. Icy morning, the teachers were on strike at times, so went to school late. Saw a shower incoming and thinking to myself is it going to snow and it did. Snow never stuck during the day but it did in the evening. Snow and graupel showers and a prolonged snow shower after 9pm. Got a covering with that but all melted away that Friday morning, really mild that morning and that was that until after Christmas.

February 1986 recorded 21 days of falling snow. at Manchester Airport. Certainly remember snow falling from blue skies during that month. Good winter 1985-86 but snow depths were not outstanding here in any of those mid winters of the 1980s.

• Like 1

Posted
On 09/02/2017 at 20:55, northwestsnow said:

Just had a look at dewpoints at moment, rather perplexed why we have the highest levels +2 across whole county, whereas parts of the SW have -1 degrees, all rather odd, just what has happened today to prevent snow down to modest levels over far north of england, forecasts were all wrong...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

I remember that November one really well. Icy morning, the teachers were on strike at times, so went to school late. Saw a shower incoming and thinking to myself is it going to snow and it did. Snow never stuck during the day but it did in the evening. Snow and graupel showers and a prolonged snow shower after 9pm. Got a covering with that but all melted away that Friday morning, really mild that morning and that was that until after Christmas.

February 1986 recorded 21 days of falling snow. at Manchester Airport. Certainly remember snow falling from blue skies during that month. Good winter 1985-86 but snow depths were not outstanding here in any of those mid winters of the 1980s.

Nice one kev, brill memories :)

Posted
Just now, damianslaw said:

Just had a look at dewpoints at moment, rather perplexed why we have the highest levels +2 across whole county, whereas parts of the SW have -1 degrees, all rather odd, just what has happened today to prevent snow down to modest levels over far north of england, forecasts were all wrong...

Even south coast has lower due points and snow lol.

There is some lower due points out over the north Sea. Are they set to move our way I wonder?.

Posted

From Derbyshire CC this afternoon..

Weather conditions

The Met Office has issued a severe weather warning for snow in the High Peak/Peak District area from 9pm tonight through to 3pm tomorrow afternoon.

Up to 15cm of snow is forecast on high routes in this area with up to 5cm on lower ground.

Rain is expected elsewhere in the county.

http://derbyshire.gov.uk/transport_roads/roads_traffic/road_maintenance/snow_info/latest_update/default.asp#589f0cc3d0944

• Like 1

Posted

For anyone on lower ground, don't dispare as it not much better higher up.

this is all we can manage at 1300ft and at down home every last bit of this morning's effort has gone.

more forecast for tonight but not holding my hopes up of Sunday looking much different than today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Overall a series of disappointments in the last few years and with the general warming trend things are not looking promising for a coldie like me.

The only positive thing on the horizon is the solar minimum so I will give it till 2020 and then discard weather from my interests. Too many hours checking the models and analysing forecasts for very little return. Summer weather and spring warmth couldn't leave me more indifferent so that's a no go area for me.

• Like 2