Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
Just now, James M said:

Rain in Denton *sigh*

mate its sleety in springhead i knew it wasnt going to be long lasting but i woke up to concrete and puddles at 6am, probably the worst easterly i ever saw.

• Like 2

Posted
43 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

you dont get snow from an easerly unless your east of the pennines or on a tract that doesn't have the pennines in the way unless your very fortunate.  Unfortunately for those within 20km or so of Liverpool bay are pretty much stuck because of the higher terrain all around it.  The pennines, welsh mountains, even the higher terrain directly to the North stop the snow.  The best locations for snow, can be either a NW prefabably because there is nothing to stop the snow getting through, and the irish sea creates a streamer...or exceptionally cold air from the east bumping into milder moist air from the west.

Pretty much all the moisture / precip has to come from those directions, unless you dont have hills around you taking that moisture away. Also one of the other things here of note, is that we wont see snow below -12C upper air, again most probably because of the Irish sea having some kind of interaction on it.  That being said, everything that has blown through here as been coldish dry air.  Certainly not the kind of cold I would say is anything other than a little chilly, still in response to your post over 20 hours ago, nothing has really changed in this respect, a lot of cloud with no moisture has flown by overhead, not even a frost.

EDIT: As I type this, it has just started to snow for the first time, kind of strange given this snow on the radar as been over over for many hours.

Are you talking about just your location? It doesn't tally with my observations, I find forecasters generally underestimate snowfalls on an easterly at least around this area. Classic forecast of the odd flurry of old tend to be more than that. 

As for uppers of -12, we had snow flakes falling here with above 0C in that perishing southerly wind on that last Thursday of January, also we had wet snow at sea level last November despite unspectacular uppers. I actually made a comment that it was weird seeing wet snow with unremarkable uppers and the fact the wind flow was coming from the Irish Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Sod all here snowdar is lying as usual!!! I'd say we have 3-4 weeks left before smashing our computers up...

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Sod all here snowdar is lying as usual!!! I'd say we have 3-4 weeks left before smashing our computers up...

Same here. The netweather accumulated preciptation image suggest the ground should be very wet and probably puddles but infact it is just slightly damp. 

It was trying to snow before I went to bed.

Posted

A few slush deposits in the far corners of walls and on grass/cars etc.. but it's melting even now, and I expect it will be mostly rain in a few hours.  Just a grim day all round.  We had the cold for a few days, but when the precipitation came calling it just wasn't cold enough.  A familiar story of late.  When's the next 10 day build-up?

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Anything reaching the ground anywhere? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

snowing well here, similar to Friday 13th, expecting a thaw, as soon as it stops

3 years ago today I had lying snow as well, thawed as soon as it stopped, Feb not the best

Posted
1 minute ago, dodgeredee said:

A few slush deposits in the far corners of walls and on grass/cars etc.. but it's melting even now, and I expect it will be mostly rain in a few hours.  Just a grim day all round.  We had the cold for a few days, but when the precipitation came calling it just wasn't cold enough.  A familiar story of late.  When's the next 10 day build-up?

Horrific.

Hopefully eQBO low solar and a bit of luck with ENSO will provide hope come November but im wondering if somthing else is over riding these type of signals..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A cm of wet snow on the grass and pavements and occasional flakes gently falling through a non existent breeze.

maybe the snow will get heavier, maybe the breeze will increase and start to blow it around a bit but certainly underwhelming at the moment.

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

A cm of wet snow on the grass and pavements and occasional flakes gently falling through a non existent breeze.

maybe the snow will get heavier, maybe the breeze will increase and start to blow it around a bit but certainly underwhelming at the moment.

Aye, opened the curtains and puddles lol...doubt it will get better the positive dews are on the way, from the east,lettucing gutted.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Horrific.

Hopefully eQBO low solar and a bit of luck with ENSO will provide hope come November but im wondering if somthing else is over riding these type of signals..

Exactly mate, unbeleivable really. Lets hope with the sunspot cycles winding down the forthcoming winters offer more hope. Will certainly be interesting in next few winters and beyond what will happen. Will 'proper' winters return, personally I think they will.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Rain :wallbash:what else can be said?

Posted
51 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Are you talking about just your location? It doesn't tally with my observations, I find forecasters generally underestimate snowfalls on an easterly at least around this area. Classic forecast of the odd flurry of old tend to be more than that. 

As for uppers of -12, we had snow flakes falling here with above 0C in that perishing southerly wind on that last Thursday of January, also we had wet snow at sea level last November despite unspectacular uppers. I actually made a comment that it was weird seeing wet snow with unremarkable uppers and the fact the wind flow was coming from the Irish Sea.

You are much further inland than I am. I am close to Widnes / Runcorn which puts me on the Estuary and really not that far from the bay of Liverpool.  I was doing some temperature comparisons between here and Crosby, and was shocked to discover that over the last 4 years, on average Crosby near the coast has actually been colder during the second part of winter.  I have no valid explanation of why that is.  Even Liverpool airport was going to for a rain / snow / sleet mix. In actual fact it's never done any of these things really, unless you count a few blowing snowflakes that tapered off very quickly, did not cover anything.

For the record here imby snow and frosts, it really has been rather poor:

2013 Snow fell on 19 November, the earliest in a decade but that was it, we had flurries that never produced any kind of covering, just blowing in the wind.  2014, 26 December, Boxing day, Liverpool airport closed because of 4cm of snow, re-opened lunch time. We have had a grand total of 12 frosts since 2013.  The average is supposed to be around 52 days (nights) from November through until the very beginning of April. So 12 frosts is shockingly low in 4 years. Bare in mind this is my location rather than elsewhere, strangely Liverpool airport as not fared any better either.  3 of those frosts have come this winter, all ground frosts.  It's also been a relatively dry winter too, compared to many previously, obviously brought on by the blocking.  The Irish sea can have very strange effects on the weather. It can be snowing where you are, and pouring down in rain here.  

We can only hope that things improve, before the end of winter, it's been very dissapointing for the kids to say the least.   

on a different note  solar low occurs this year, so next winter could look really interesting, if what happened in 2010 /11 2011/12 happened! fingers crossed. 

Posted

Having woken to a slight covering from constant but fine snow we are now under a heavier shower with decent sized flakes. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
20 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Aye, opened the curtains and puddles lol...doubt it will get better the positive dews are on the way, from the east,lettucing gutted.

Heavier here now although no doubt telling everyone has put the kiss of death on it.

• Like 2

Posted

It's been like this since at least 02:00 this morning, and nothing here. got to be a cosmic joke :p

erfwerwer.jpg

Edited by HotCuppa
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
9 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

You are much further inland than I am. I am close to Widnes / Runcorn which puts me on the Estuary and really not that far from the bay of Liverpool.  I was doing some temperature comparisons between here and Crosby, and was shocked to discover that over the last 4 years, on average Crosby near the coast has actually been colder during the second part of winter.  I have no valid explanation of why that is.  Even Liverpool airport was going to for a rain / snow / sleet mix. In actual fact it's never done any of these things really, unless you count a few blowing snowflakes that tapered off very quickly, did not cover anything.

For the record here imby snow and frosts, it really has been rather poor:

2013 Snow fell on 19 November, the earliest in a decade but that was it, we had flurries that never produced any kind of covering, just blowing in the wind.  2014, 26 December, Boxing day, Liverpool airport closed because of 4cm of snow, re-opened lunch time. We have had a grand total of 12 frosts since 2013.  The average is supposed to be around 52 days (nights) from November through until the very beginning of April. So 12 frosts is shockingly low in 4 years. Bare in mind this is my location rather than elsewhere, strangely Liverpool airport as not fared any better either.  3 of those frosts have come this winter, all ground frosts.  It's also been a relatively dry winter too, compared to many previously, obviously brought on by the blocking.  The Irish sea can have very strange effects on the weather. It can be snowing where you are, and pouring down in rain here.  

We can only hope that things improve, before the end of winter, it's been very dissapointing for the kids to say the least.   

on a different note  solar low occurs this year, so next winter could look really interesting, if what happened in 2010 /11 2011/12 happened! fingers crossed. 

Crosby has a microclimate all of its own. 

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Crosby has a microclimate all of its own. 

it most certainly does which i find very strange given your very close proximity to the coast and the warmth from the irish sea.

2.7C rising slowly
dp -0.6C rising.
Precip: Dry
Cloudy 8/8 Oktas
Wind: 0mph 
Gusts 5 min avg 1mph
Humidity 81%
Baro : 1025.3mb falling slowly

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

10 minutes ago, HotCuppa said:

it most certainly does which i find very strange given your very close proximity to the coast and the warmth from the irish sea.

something to do with the topography of the land around. BTW I've had 9 air frosts so far this winter, 8 last winter. The sea doesn't have any effect unless the wind is on-shore. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

For those who can't see snow.. here's a live webcam of the Netherlands where they are getting pasted 

https://webcam.nl/bouw/leiden/

Posted

I went to sleep at 4am it was coming down steady and starting to stick. Woke up at 7 to drizzle. Just drove to work, there's the odd bit of sleet mixed in with the rain and the grounds very wet with lots of puddles. 

What a shame I was expecting a few cm before it turned this morning.