Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
10 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Latest app forecast is showing heavy snow for both Saturday and Sunday for my location. I'm away this weekend so miss what every happens.

Yes i think moorside at 300m will get a decent event, possibly 5 cm at a rough guess..

Posted
28 minutes ago, karyo said:

Yes, in fact countries in central Europe get successive hot summers now. Germany had severe heat last summer and the one before. At least I am glad we don't get that here, I hate heat more than I love cold!

Its the change in the winter months that is much more noticeable, the summers are generally warm to hot, ukraine belarus russia generally similar..As are the winters.(similar)

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
Just now, Weather-history said:

Doesn't seem likely. It's not even reflected in their TAF.

Doesn't seem likely to me either Kev I do believe all information on alerts are passed to the airport weather centre via the METO 

C.S

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes saturday looks interesting with a more general area of precip,some might get a dusting ovrrnight but by mid feb a dusting wont make it past dinner time.

On saturday Thinking those with decent altitude around the pennines, hard to say exactly but 300m or more might see 5cm or more depending how the trough reacts to the pennines.

Wrt winter lets be honest, its been horrific for snow, again.ok its not been a zonal hellfest like last winter but for high lat blocking, dreadful.Despite all the positive noises its all come to nothing.The fact we are chasing a transient dusting says it all.

Seems to be getting more and more rare snow, im sure im not imagining it

There's always spring snowfall.. many a mild winter with little snow has tended to produce a spring thereafter with a wintry potent surprise. Even last year we had heavy wet snow settle on 30 April! Spring 2008 produced a couple of decent snowfalls here one on Easter Day and one on the 6 April after a snowless winter.. April 1998, 1999 and 2000 produced potent northerlies with snow cover here as well, after three very poor winters for snowfall.Going further back ditto April 1989, ditto March/April 1975, all after very mild snowless winters. 

Whilst spring snowfalls do tend to be blink and miss it affairs then can pack a punch, indeed the UK is more likely to see synoptics conducive for snow in March and April, as easterlies and northerlies are far more likely then. Early March 1995 was very wintry as well again after another very poor winter for snow..

Its never wise to throw in the towel by the end of Feb on snow prospects..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Cold dry and cloudy night. 

Posted

-2c ocassional snow flurries/light snow..... feels more continental.... nmm, arpege, hirlam look better for 5-10cm around these parts saturday through sunday.... but off down to Bournemouth sunday and not expecting anything to trouble us road travel wise

Posted

Forecast for Hale, Cheshire, Not Manchester.

Occasional snow showers after midnight effecting Hale and the West Cheshire area.
Accumulation is likely to be very small, maybe 1 or 2cm at the very most by dawn.

The interesting thing about this snow, is that it's managing just to get passed the pennines, probably because there is a lot of snow
packed behind it, with a moderate easterly wind pushing it on, so while it would normally dissipate over the pennines, it's being 
constantly refuelled.

I'd have no problem removing the pennines ;)

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

There's always spring snowfall.. many a mild winter with little snow has tended to produce a spring thereafter with a wintry potent surprise. Even last year we had heavy wet snow settle on 30 April! Spring 2008 produced a couple of decent snowfalls here one on Easter Day and one on the 6 April after a snowless winter.. April 1998, 1999 and 2000 produced potent northerlies with snow cover here as well, after three very poor winters for snowfall.Going further back ditto April 1989, ditto March/April 1975, all after very mild snowless winters. 

Whilst spring snowfalls do tend to be blink and miss it affairs then can pack a punch, indeed the UK is more likely to see synoptics conducive for snow in March and April, as easterlies and northerlies are far more likely then. Early March 1995 was very wintry as well again after another very poor winter for snow..

Its never wise to throw in the towel by the end of Feb on snow prospects..

we have more chance of white easter than we do of a white christmas.

The last 4 winters here in imby have been abysmal.  Even the cold is more or less Mild given the temperatures it should be and compared to everywhere else.  The significant lack of snow, despite this year going down across the Nordics and Europe in general as one of the snowiest...and we can't even muster a stinking flake of the stuff for the kids.

Later this year we are moving to Finland, where snow is guaranteed away from the South coast, where cold actually gets cold, and the kids can play out in the stuff as long as they like. This weather is far to benign and boring across this area, one day is pretty much identical to the next day and so on.  I just hope we can muster some snow before or by easter, as we have done before on a number of occasions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, HotCuppa said:

The last 4 winters here in imby have been abysmal.  Even the cold is more or less Mild given the temperatures it should be and compared to everywhere else.  The significant lack of snow, despite this year going down across the Nordics and Europe in general as one of the snowiest...and we can't even muster a stinking flake of the stuff for the kids.

Later this year we are moving to Finland, where snow is guaranteed away from the South coast, where cold actually gets cold, and the kids can play out in the stuff as long as they like. This weather is far to benign and boring across this area, one day is pretty much identical to the next day and so on.  I just hope we can muster some snow before or by easter, as we have done before on a number of occasions.

Argghh insomnia and I am netweather. To be honest it's not been all that great here in normally snowier east of the region either over the past 4 years. It seems ages ago since a decent proper cold spell rather than the poor cold snaps we have had since late 2013. I just hope with the solar minimum we will have better Winters again soon. It really has been poor for lasting snow. We used to have poor Winters in the past but nothing like recently. Even Winter 2000/2001 was much better than this one. I also had a decent covering of snow late Dec 2001 too. Really hope we get something decent soon.. time is ticking by.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, HotCuppa said:

The stats do not support this at least not in the last 30 years around my neck of the woods.

There has never been a white Easter (Easter Day)  in the true sense with snow on ground and snow falling  since at least 1985, where I live,  there was in some parts of our region on Easter Day 2008. Even Bookies' White Easters, it has snowed just twice on Easter Day itself: 1998 and 2008.

Bookies' White Christmases include 1993, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2004 with Christmas Days 1995, 2004, 2009 and 2010 having snow on the ground. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
38 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Part of a Met Office forecast for our region. 

Cold and cloudy again but windier than Friday, especially on exposed coasts and hills. 

How many coasts in NW England are exposed to an easterly wind? 

If i'm being pedantic, the Wirral from Birkenhead to new Brighton, also the east coast of the Isle of Man. 

Lol   

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

frosty and the slightest of coverings here this morning.

not much, but better than nowt and looking at the forecast, more chance of showers today.

Posted

Its a bust. Snizzle this morning but today looks dry and bits of snizzle , prrhaps some transient snow overnight before dew points go positive by dinner time tomorrow.

Possibly the worst easterly i ever saw.

• Like 1

Posted

Very liberal deposits of small snow grains overnight, but they are the yorkshire terrier of snow formations and refuse to melt away.  Maybe because it's f-f-f-freezing outside.  I'm sure we'll have some wet juicy flakes that will melt on impact come Saturday afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Slightest of the covering of snow, mostly on the roofs, bit on grass in Chorley. Just cloudy here and it seems to be breaking up too. The Sun most likely to melt it over everything else right now.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Much more solid showers coming in from the East now, maybe they will reach us and we will get more than just icing sugar covering/

Posted

Temp 1.8C slowly rising  
DP -1.3C and rising
Wind 7 knots overnight 9 knots, obviously prevented any kind of frost.
Cloudy 8/8

Liverpool airport have been going for rain initially followed by snow showers since midnight, before becoming partly cloudy from mid day onward.
Currently have lower than -10 C upper air, with little to no moisture.  In fact what we really need is something hitting us from the Northwest, rather than an easterly
which just usually brings nothing but cold dry air to this area.  It's a real pity that the direction of the light snow is from the East and it now appears to be 
moving in a slight Southwesterly fashion, although it could be deceiving my eyes, but that is what it looks like.

As long as the DP remains below -1C there is always some hope, but i'd like to see some precip try to edge in from the NW against this cold air mass, otherwise
it might as well not even be there.  Perfect conditions for snow.

You can see where the really cold air, towards the west and spine of the country at 09:00 z this morning

final_rh850temp_2_2017021000_9.jpg

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
3 hours ago, Chris.R said:

If i'm being pedantic, the Wirral from Birkenhead to new Brighton, also the east coast of the Isle of Man. 

Lol   

I would have said formby up to southport.

• Like 1