Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

So Liverpool TAF going for rain/snow showers from 06:00.  Also rain/snow showers and snow showers tomorrow afternoon with the elusive SHSN. :yahoo:

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 2

Posted
Posted

Was a little bit of convection today with quite a good number of showers just passing to my North but all in all, I thought shower activity would be a little more obvious than it has been however conditions do look different tomorrow with much lower thicknesses and instability should be lower also as a result. I imagine dew temps will be lower as a result so we could start seeing some reports coming in then.

Any features could well pop up so again its nowcasting.

Does look like Friday should be a quieter day on the shower front before things potentially get slightly interesting again as we go into Friday night into Saturday morning, at least according to the GFS. Suspect I'll be too far North and it be those in the South of the region that will benefit but we shall see, I just want too see some dramatic convective weather and be dissapointed if this did not occur.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Upgrade IMBY 17011221_1118.gif18z 17011221_1112.gif12z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
50 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

So Liverpool TAF going for rain/snow showers from 06:00.  Also rain/snow showers and snow showers tomorrow afternoon with the elusive SHSN. :yahoo:

So a new Taf is out and it  brings forward the start of the pure snow showers (SHSN) probability to start now from 06:00. So from 06:00-24:00 rain/snow showers and snow showers. upgrade. 

• Like 3

Posted

Heavyish hail/ice pellets gust of wind then moderate snow shower..... 0c dew -2c.....

the weather station has wrong temp as it says nearest station is leek thorncliffe 25km away.... 

ps second attachement, model going for 15-20cm in lucky spot which im guessing is kinder scout? 

IMG_1240.PNG

IMG_1239.JPG

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

Heavyish hail/ice pellets gust of wind then moderate snow shower..... 0c dew -2c.....

the weather station has wrong temp as it says nearest station is leek thorncliffe 25km away.... 

ps second attachement, model going for 15-20cm in lucky spot which im guessing is kinder scout? 

IMG_1240.PNG

IMG_1239.JPG

Which model is that and for what time scale?

Posted

Just been through the raintoday temperature 12 hourly forecast and it looks a bit green for my liking, esp west of manchester.

Not too sure accurate it is..

Fwiw the very east of the region stays coldest although lack of precip maybe an issue.

Will be intetesting at least.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Just been through the raintoday temperature 12 hourly forecast and it looks a bit green for my liking, esp west of manchester.

Not too sure accurate it is..

Most of the higher resolution modelling I've seen shows accumulations almost exclusively over high ground. So yeah, it is a slight worry as things stand. I'm guessing the Irish Sea is quite a bit warmer than it should be and as such is shown to modify the airmass a fair way inland...

In heavier showers it shouldn't be too much of an issue but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more reports of rain and sleet tomorrow than some are expecting.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

Most of the higher resolution modelling I've seen shows accumulations almost exclusively over high ground. So yeah, it is a slight worry as things stand. I'm guessing the Irish Sea is quite a bit warmer than it should be and as such is shown to modify the airmass a fair way inland...

Aye not even sure if 200m will suffice.Should do ok tomorrow night i hope.

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Aye not even sure if 200m will suffice.Should do ok tomorrow night i hope.

200m- fine

Any less than this and it could be marginal at times I would suggest. Hence no real accumulations showing for low ground NW England.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

First proper showers heading in now, just sleety rain atm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Bigger blob of ppn heading into NW England. Probably rain or hail for low ground.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Not feeling hopeful of seeing snow here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
7 minutes ago, loubie_4 said:

Not feeling hopeful of seeing snow here. 

Could be tougher the further West you are. As usual the upper air isn't as cold as originally modeled with lots of little warm sectors.

There is more ppn heading into you now. Let me know if its snow as it gets to me after you.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Hoping for some good evaporative cooling but it is still quite windy though. 3.1°C falling slowly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms
10 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Could be tougher the further West you are. As usual the upper air isn't as cold as originally modeled with lots of little warm sectors.

There is more ppn heading into you now. Let me know if its snow as it gets to me after you.

Will do Mucka :D

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, James M said:

Hoping for some good evaporative cooling but it is still quite windy though. 3.1°C falling slowly.

Is that ground temp?

Do you know what current DP's are?

Says +2C for Manchester airport so no chance for now if that's right.

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

Is that ground temp?

Do you know what current DP's are?

Says +2C for Manchester airport so no chance for now if that's right.

Air temperature. Don't know what the dew point is here, but clearly too high.

• Like 1

Posted

LOL at the forecast from the Metoffice for tonight-

Further sleet and snow showers tonight, with possibly a spell of more widespread rain, sleet and snow moving southwards after midnight, with gales in places. Icy conditions for many. Minimum Temperature -4C.

Only the UK could offer up rain with -7/-8 uppers, thicknesses like these hgt500-1000.png

etc etc

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

LOL at the forecast from the Metoffice for tonight-

Further sleet and snow showers tonight, with possibly a spell of more widespread rain, sleet and snow moving southwards after midnight, with gales in places. Icy conditions for many. Minimum Temperature -4C.

Only the UK could offer up rain with -7/-8 uppers, thicknesses like these hgt500-1000.png

etc etc

Yeah it is crazy hard to get snow here to low levels. That forecast has been updated this morning so it sort of means tomorrow night or Thursday night/Friday early hours :)

I thought the best part was for UK "mild on Monday with drizzle"

Edited by Mucka

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

Yeah it is crazy hard to get snow here to low levels. That forecast has been updated this morning so it sort of means tomorrow night :)

LOL yeah whichever way you want to look at it!

However I do have a sinking feeling that low ground (below 150m) will see very little in terms of accumulating snow tonight. Going to be a sopping wet mess isn't it!?

• Like 1