Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
20 minutes ago, julie253 said:

Love the way the met office map swerves Wirral lol

I have always said the coastal regions of NW England are a snow lovers hell hole, the proximity of the irish sea is a real pain in the rear. Its very very difficult to get meaningful snowcover near the coast it really does take some exceptional synoptics. That said i have witnessed Backtrack doing summersaults on here in the past so its by no means impossible, coast dwellers really need some really cold uppers swinging in on a North westerly to do the business, for those of us in the east of the region i have learned a straight north westerly isn't actually that great as most of the troughs/showers push inland through the cheshire gap and pass through cheshire to my south west.

For my neck of the woods an easterly component is always favoured, nothing better than seeing the hills to my east get shrouded in cloud as the snow showers pile in..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and snow
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

I have always said the coastal regions of NW England are a snow lovers hell hole, the proximity of the irish sea is a real pain in the rear. Its very very difficult to get meaningful snowcover near the coast it really does take some exceptional synoptics. That said i have witnessed Backtrack doing summersaults on here in the past so its by no means impossible, coast dwellers really need some really cold uppers swinging in on a North westerly to do the business, for those of us in the east of the region i have learned a straight north westerly isn't actually that great as most of the troughs/showers push inland through the cheshire gap and pass through cheshire to my south west.

For my neck of the woods an easterly component is always favoured, nothing better than seeing the hills to my east get shrouded in cloud as the snow showers pile in..

The only extreme thing Wirral gets is wind.   It's great the way everyone has a ramp and banter on here at this time of year. Let's hope we all get a bit of something we want this year.   

• Like 2

Posted

Just been doing a bit of research- Grains bar which is 3.5 miles or 9 mins in the car from my house stands at 330 m so while im not expecting any snow imby i won't have far to travel to see some snow tomorrow morning, i will be amazed if its not a winter wonderland up there by tomorrow morning.. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I'm wondering if Birmingham (at least the hillier parts) may see some falling snow tonight in some of the heavier bursts. I sit at around 180m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Good old rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrain! Enjoy the snow people, it'll come back here 1 day :cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Rain has arrived, temp falling away. Still expecting a transitional mix in the early hours. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
8 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Good old rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrain! Enjoy the snow people, it'll come back here 1 day :cray:

LOL it was always going to be Rain to start DP way to high for anything else,wont snow for low ground anyway.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

LOL it was always going to be Rain to start DP way to high for anything else,wont snow for low ground anyway.

C.S

Hi C.S. Yeah wasn't/not excited for this event. I am hoping of a least 1 decent snowfall since March 2013 though. As you are aware yourself things look far better this year, even for us on the coast and in the south west of the region.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Minus 10 said:

Hi C.S. Yeah wasn't/not excited for this event. I am hoping of a least 1 decent snowfall since March 2013 though. As you are aware yourself things look far better this year, even for us on the coast and in the south west of the region.

Oh Yes I am aware of the Potential Mate it is looking very good at the MOMENT For D/J As Mucka has just posted in the MOD thread

I am trying to keep my expectations in check.

C.S

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

We kinda got the perfect set up now, its just the uppers really needed to be marginally colder, aslong the winds are off shore and the air is cold enough, snow will fall even right on the coastline. In fairness, I actually seen more snow here last winter than I expected despite it being a poor winter also. So close to getting quite a good covering of snow where on the night the Met Office forecast very low minimums(lowest minimum's since March 2013 they said), instead we had a band of PPN heading down from the North and we got hours on end of snow, sadly a lot of it was wet snow so we only accumulated roughly 2CM which slowly melted during the day. 

As for tonight, its just looks too mild too me, maybe some colder air from the surface might help things but dew temps do look just too high, anyways not too fussed as its just transient in any case although seeing some falling would be nice.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Raining but feeling noticeably milder/more humid

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

AROME still going for a Pennine snow event, little to nothing on low ground. 13cm or close to 6 inches for Kinder Scout.

6221_kmp3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Hold the front page! Liverpool airport TAF now going for the possibility of snow later. 

PROB30 TEMPO 0902/0909 1400SN

4.2°C currently, holding steady for the moment. 

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice

Sat here in my holiday home in the lake district at the foot of Blencathra at 700 feet. Already a covering on top at 2848 feet hoping for a winter wonderland by morning. Light rain at present. Temp is 0.4c

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Started to rain here now, temp 3.5C. Nothing wintry was likely to fall this side of midnight anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

Feels awful out 4c DP 2c with cold icy rain:cold:

C.S

Posted

Also more sleet symbols on the Met Office app.  To me this looks like a more marginal  version of Boxing Day 2014. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Feels awful out 4c DP 2c with cold icy rain:cold:

C.S

hopefully this will make you feel better!

ukmaxtemp.png

Posted
10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hopefully this will make you feel better!

ukmaxtemp.png

I can live with that for November,still two weeks until winter starts

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
42 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Hold the front page! Liverpool airport TAF now going for the possibility of snow later. 

PROB30 TEMPO 0902/0909 1400SN

4.2°C currently, holding steady for the moment. 

That ties in neatly with the Met-office warnings, in which Liverpool AP is under the snow warning. that doesn't help me or you though :-)

Edited by SP1986

Posted
3 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

That ties in neatly with the Met-office warnings, in which Liverpool AP is under the snow warning. that doesn't help me or you though :-)

I have to dream though :-)

Even if nothing does happen I still like seeing how it all on folds. 

Edited by Chris.R