Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Temp has ramped up as has humidity in the last couple of hours.... 30c dew 20c its sticky n steamy.... painted summerhouse and now indoors over the hob making citrus mutton stew.... phew....

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 1

Posted

Only 24.9c currently here although much cloudier today few spots of rain,thunder is a real rarity getting.

Ultra humid,max of 27.7c earlier.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

this location is getting a joke now, if it wasn't already, another hot spell to break down with a whimper, last one did too just before Whit! everywhere except Staffordshire had thunder/lightning

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Looks like the Midlands (with the exception of the far north) is on par to miss every single storm during this thundery breakdown even tomorrow the BBC places the thundery showers developing to the East and moving towards London. It annoys me that we suffer with this hot stuffy weather and all and in return we get NOTHING unlike other areas, and the same thing happened last time. This year has had not a single storm in the whole of spring for the Central Midlands. It is still possible for something to develop albeit unlikely, but we have the rest of the summer to get something decent, and if we miss out on everything then hey ho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

this location is getting a joke now, if it wasn't already, another hot spell to break down with a whimper, last one did too just before Whit! everywhere except Staffordshire had thunder/lightning

Shropshire says hi! Not heard any thunder for just over a year now. Last time was in Blackpool last year in June! This year so far has been disappointing to say the least, with a hot spell you normally get a breakdown! Come back the 80s we used to get storm's then lol!!! 

Posted

Ultimately disappointing day. Looked a cert this afternoon, with the cloud formations & huge rise in humidity, but a few thunderless spots of rain was all it was. Still wouldn't rule out something overnight, but knowing me I'd sleep through it anyway!

Posted

Although thunderstorms are a weather feature I can take or leave, I do find it slightly frustrating that we're forecast to largely miss out yet again, despite conditions been in an ideal position for their development. And in response to Shane Wheeldon, unlike snow, thunder was still a relatively common weather feature in this region in the 90s and 00s even. I don't think it was really until the late 00s and since, now into the late 10s that I really started to consciously notice how rare thunderstorms are becoming. Growing up in the 90s I would guess that most years contained a small handful of thunderstorms spread out through the year, with the occasional short spell where they would feature over successive days (probably rarely over 2 though). Though I must admit this is based solely on my flawed memory and they may have been rarer than I think, but these days we're lucky to get one a year and I certainly only recall one thunderstorm each last year and in 2015, (though they we're pretty good ones by UK standards).  As I said though I can take or leave them really and if somehow I had to choose between snow been common or thunder been common, and which ever one I chose would make the other rare, I would choose snow to be common every time. The only thing I find a shame about our current thunder drought is the fact that it's one of the more unique features of weather that adds to our overall variety and it's rarity makes our weather a bit less interesting. With the lack of snow the last few years as well the lack of interest is just exacerbated. On the other hand though despite the lack of potential for an impressive breakdown (though we could be surprised yet, and I wouldn't rule it out completely) at least we've had a pretty decent heatwave, and it's nice to have had one around the solstice for once when daylight is at it's longest, and personally I think it's great that we've had that, and with 2 and 1/3 months of Summer still ahead of us with what is generally the warmest period of the year still to come, there could be more of this over the horizon with any thundery breakdowns yet to come. Anyway I would be interested to know by how much thunder has decreased in this region over recent years and whether there were any other periods in the past when thunder in this region was as rare as it is at present and how long it lasted etc before they became more frequent again. For one thing though, I doubt it's unprecedented.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Got to agree. I definitely remember back in the earlier 2000's, and during the 90's, that thunderstorms seemed a fair bit more common. Particularly before 2010, I remember numerous incidences of warm, hot, bright days followed torrential afternoon thunderstorms! Haven't had many of those in the last few years. 

Apart from the odd shower with the odd rumble of thunder, this has certainly been a bad year for storms so far! Though North Midlands do appear to have done better. 

Just want out of the No Storms Club. Bored of it (lol). Same for the No Snow Club!

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Got to agree. I definitely remember back in the earlier 2000's, and during the 90's, that thunderstorms seemed a fair bit more common. Particularly before 2010, I remember numerous incidences of warm, hot, bright days followed torrential afternoon thunderstorms! Haven't had many of those in the last few years. 

Apart from the odd shower with the odd rumble of thunder, this has certainly been a bad year for storms so far! Though North Midlands do appear to have done better. 

Just want out of the No Storms Club. Bored of it (lol). Same for the No Snow Club!

Not sure if I'm classed as north midlands, but here has seen bugger all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Not seen a sausage at all. As a kid in the 90s, early 00s (when they frightened me) storms used to be common, often and rumble for hours. What has happened? What has changed? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt_in_dudley said:

Not seen a sausage at all. As a kid in the 90s, early 00s (when they frightened me) storms used to be common, often and rumble for hours. What has happened? What has changed? 

Can say same about winters and snow, both getting less frequent, must be to do with the Atlantic, eastern areas do better with both, and further east even better, unreal pics in storm thread, W Midlands would never see skies like that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Not sure if I'm classed as north midlands, but here has seen bugger all

Yeah, it's annoyong really. Just want to see a decent storm (like I'm sure you probably do as well). 

Hopefully this Summer will surprise us in some way! At least it's been pretty bright or sunny at times

Posted
2 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

Yeah, it's annoyong really. Just want to see a decent storm (like I'm sure you probably do as well). 

Hopefully this Summer will surprise us in some way! At least it's been pretty bright or sunny at times

I am a storm fan, but I prefer snow, I don't get as excited about a storm on the way as I do snow, getting rare I know

Posted

I may be wrong, but I think that the omnipresence of cirrostratus from aeroplane condensation trails, has a lot to do with our lack of storms in the Midlands.

You can bet your life that waking up to a clear blue sky, will, within hours, be criss crossed with thousands of con trails, which usually merge into a layer of cirrostratus , which then goes on to stifling any convection.

I'd like to know if there have been any studies in to the same theory, I'm sure I'm right.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, matt_in_dudley said:

Yeah I remember as a small child in the late 80s/early 90s been terrified of thunder and no doubt this was based on fairly frequent experience. In fact when I was very young I remember been woken by thunder in the middle of the night, and screaming in terror and having to go and sleep in my parents bed for protection. As I grew older I started to find it exiting, with many memories of looking at the flashes of lightning from various windows and excitedly anticipating the boom. I was certainly acquainted with thunder once upon a time. It's starting to feel a bit of a once upon a time thing these days.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

I may be wrong, but I think that the omnipresence of cirrostratus from aeroplane condensation trails, has a lot to do with our lack of storms in the Midlands.

You can bet your life that waking up to a clear blue sky, will, within hours, be criss crossed with thousands of con trails, which usually merge into a layer of cirrostratus , which then goes on to stifling any convection.

I'd like to know if there have been any studies in to the same theory, I'm sure I'm right.

An interesting if annoying thought if true I suppose. Yet at the same time air traffic over the Midlands has got to be pretty high since the 80s at least. Also is air traffic any higher here than further east in the country where they still seem to occur more often (though I'm not sure if there's been a general decrease nationwide and the west midlands is suffering more than most. I've heard though that the west midlands is historically one of the most thundery parts of the UK after the east midlands and eastern coasts. But even Scotland had thunder recently and that's historically one of the least thundery parts of the UK. Though no doubt air traffic is much lighter up there. I'm not saying I believe you, but it's one theory I suppose. I still think it's likely just the law of averages at play, which on occasion is bound to throw up the odd extended period of increased rarity of what is a fairly rare weather feature in the first place. Even common weather features such as sunshine and rain can be fairly infrequent for extended periods (for nowhere near as long as the rarer ones though). I think that's a pretty sensible assumption.

Posted
1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

depends on conditions, sometimes vapour trails do not form

• Like 1

Posted

Can`t even get any rain here with all this forcast of rain they are still getting the forecast wrong.

It doesn`t know how to rain here at the moment.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Persistent moderate rain here with temp 11.9c.

Posted

Gotta love the Peak District forecast....later today windchill of 2c at 600m and 6c at 300m.... yuck...  staying in and sorting out some inside jobs that need doing.... 

Posted
55 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Gotta love the Peak District forecast....later today windchill of 2c at 600m and 6c at 300m.... yuck...  staying in and sorting out some inside jobs that need doing.... 

I don't seem to mind it Will, Persistent rain continues..

Posted
4 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

I don't seem to mind it Will, Persistent rain continues..

lucky here today, just far enough south to avoid the washout, could all move south though and be wet tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A 24 hr max' of 11.1c here yesterday which was the lowest late June ( 25th onwards) maximum since 10.6c on the 30th in 2000.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Ghastly day today, horrible, damp and cold at 13c max! Even Lapland is warmer than my locale today. Can't believe we've seen a 20c drop in a week...bring back the heat!

Posted
34 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Ghastly day today, horrible, damp and cold at 13c max! Even Lapland is warmer than my locale today. Can't believe we've seen a 20c drop in a week...bring back the heat!

Tomorrow looks an absolute washout, been lucky so far here, yesterday drier than today, but today not that bad

pay for it tomorrow