Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
beerandkebab

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Friday 13th Jan, all thawed by midday of course

archives-2017-1-13-0-0.png

Lucky you, down here it must of been the case of... thawing as it was falling...SLEET :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fizz511 said:

First tease of the season.....

25EEA020-5DDF-4C04-AB4F-56236ABE7AE3.png

Yep, we have similar for Saturday morning for Telford... MetCheck's SnowRisk gives us a 35% probability of snow on Friday and on Saturday, with a 15% probability of 'heavy snow' so I've started the excited-jumping-up-and-down in hopes that my Snow Dance brings the blizzard to us...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we have our first sniff of the season then.

It's really difficult to come on here, read the models, check the forecasts, see the chance of cold weather and take it seriously after the past 4 winters.

It's like being a trainspotter next to a disused railway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gord said:

It's like being a trainspotter next to a disused railway.

Awww....! Keep up the optimism, Gord! Someday... someday... :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gordon, it's high ground only, turning less cold during Sunday, back to normal with rain on Monday, next week looking average with temps around 7C. perhaps the odd frost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

gordon, it's high ground only, turning less cold during Sunday, back to normal with rain on Monday, next week looking average with temps around 7C. perhaps the odd frost

Like I said, not to be taken seriously.

Been on a lot of earlies at work driving my tram recently and have been treated with some glorious sunrises (before this mild air came in), on early again Saturday so hopefully any rain or murk will clear in time for another one.

Edited by Gord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A looong steady load of SWerly rain this afternoon here, with the blustery winds. We were out late last night and it was a ludicrous THIRTEEN DEGREES at five to midnight! 

Hopeful that the temps will now start dropping again as forecast. I've started on my second new fingerless glove, need it to get chillier so I get the chance to wear them!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to decide if it was wishful thinking or not - I'm sure it tried very very hard for a few minutes to snow here just before lunch! A light swirling drizzle, in weak sunshine, but it looked and behaved like fine light snow... only maybe it was just the way the light was catching it... except the way it was swirling upwards at times was kinda not very typical of how rain behaves ime round here*...


*obviously in Scotland it quite often rains upwards, depending on the wind... :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BleakMidwinter said:

'm trying to decide if it was wishful thinking or not - I'm sure it tried very very hard for a few minutes to snow here just before lunch! A light swirling drizzle, in weak sunshine, but it looked and behaved like fine light snow... only maybe it was just the way the light was catching it... except the way it was swirling upwards at times was kinda not very typical of how rain behaves ime round here*...


*obviously in Scotland it quite often rains upwards, depending on the wind... :) 

BleakMidwinter..

 I too saw the same effect here in sunny Solihull as a light shower passed through.

There was also a 'vivid' multiple rainbow at the time.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Could be interesting here tomorrow morning.

AAE46ED0-4507-4485-91F8-A6E88CB4F54B.jpeg

You have a bit of advantage, but we are too south, Peak district is place to be, Cheshire Gap streamer to move ESE through Stockport into Peak district, winds are too westerly South of Stoke

hgt500-1000.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

You have a bit of advantage, but we are too south, Peak district is place to be, Cheshire Gap streamer to move ESE through Stockport into Peak district, winds are too westerly South of Stoke

hgt500-1000.png

Thinking possibly a dusting, which would be more than I saw most winters in London. Might need elevation though. I’m only about 149 metres above sea level.

Perhaps further opportunities for the region next week. Marginal conditions though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Thinking possibly a dusting, which would be more than I saw most winters in London. Might need elevation though. I’m only about 149 metres above sea level.

Perhaps further opportunities for the region next week. Marginal conditions though.

seems okay on chart I posted, light blue thickness off convective setup then rain under 300m, just the wind direction is key

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Dumfries yesterday and It snowed down to sea level with -4 uppers so we have some chance if we get the precip!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

You have a bit of advantage, but we are too south, Peak district is place to be, Cheshire Gap streamer to move ESE through Stockport into Peak district, winds are too westerly South of Stoke

hgt500-1000.png

A252..

BBC have just broadcast that we in the central Midlands early tomorrow may catch a Cheshire gap shower or 2.

With the lower  o/n temps we may just catch a few flakes as far as Brum.

I must admit when I saw your chart above I thought it looked ideal for Stoke and Cannock to get a few flakes.? 

Today....Beautiful azure blue skies with no clouds in sight, Current temps 6.5C, but the dew point is already at -1.0C, and the temp is sliding at 14:30.

MIA. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Met Office app now showing sleet/snow showers throughout tomorrow for ST3. Hmm. We shall see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow window starts at midnight, until about 3pm, then less cold air moving in Saturday night, could catch a flurry agree, but the dumping will be areas further north, Stockport, winds look WNW

3pm Saturday any showers starting to fall as rain and sleet, especially lower levels

could well be a day like 20th Dec 2009 where Stockport had nearly a foot, here nothing, could see the anvils all day moving ESE

hgt500-1000.pnghgt500-1000.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where’s the Derbyshire guys on here?

Flash bar stores are reporting snow on Facebook...!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow light but heavy stuff gone north, then south and now disappeared... just puddles and going to be icy tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×