Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Gord said:

I enjoyed some of that crisp bright weather we had during November. Not been too shabby an Autumn all in all.

I see we're on the verge of carrying on the theme of last winter for the time being. I supposed we're used to this by now. Just read the model thread and didn't get frustrated by it all. Reached the stage where I read it with the same approach I read the TV lisitings these days. Scan through them , realise that there's nothing there to interest me and find something else to do instead. It's the easiest approach these days when it comes to winter weather. Maybe something good will come along soon.

This isn't a moan...it's just an acceptance that winter is here and expectations are low right now. We've had some beautiful weather to look at through the Autumn so I've not been totally disinterested so far

yes, this dec looks similar to last Dec, at least on the models, cooler though due to first 5 days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi all,

Lovely, frosty, bright, December Sunday :cold:

Currently 3.6c here :)

This week is all change, warming up in the short term with a period of mild Atlantic weather with cloud, wind and rain for sure.

I'm still saying 'mid term' from mid October temps will be back to where they should be and even below average.

The PV still has no defined pattern so beyond mid term nothing is nailed down......:santa-emoji:

Regarding seasonal Xmas weather, come on coldies plenty to play for :cold-emoji: ('model watching') best time of the year :drunk-emoji:

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

tomorrow will feel raw, probably coldest feeling day in years, biting wind and max of 2°

before we go back to normal during Tuesday, and if GFS 12Z is correct then Dec to be dominated by zonality, westerlies, wind and rain

Posted

Cold and sunny today with a keen easterly perfect really.

3.4c max if its cloudy tomorrow which it maybe,unless just high cloud and no sun it will be raw.

Another one air frost tonight made -0.8c already but climbed back up as it does.

I can`t zonal westerlies,but do see warm SSWlys for a time.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Beautiful early winters morning, around - 2, with a hard frost, mist and red sky, amazing to wake up to :D

Posted

yes, today could be bitterest feeling day of the m☺dern era, tonight the mild up starts though, up to 12° by wednesday, normal service I suppose, not the 90's and earlier anymore 

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Unfortunately yes but fog is still quite wintry to see but not when its mild, it will feel so strange I expect.

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

yes, today could be bitterest feeling day of the christmas pudding, tonight the mild up starts though, up to 12° by wednesday, normal service I suppose, not the 90's and earlier anymore

There were plenty of mild winters before the 90s. In fact, I would hazard to say that the frequency of cold winters between 1979 and 1991 was exceptional and against the norm. Science is a beautiful thing that constantly keeps us on our toes. This is why every severe cold spell we have makes headline news, ..always has done...the only time it maybe didn't was in World War 2 because...well...there were bigger stories going on. It's always been fascinating to people in this country because it's so rare. It's not a new thing that started up since the 90s.

Now the overall warming trend that is taking place that I think your post is refering to I can agree on. However, I need more evidence to see if it is making colder weather even more rare than it already was. If we continue to get winter after winter like the last 3, than I think your argument will become a strong one. It already would be but 2009-2013 has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Not saying your wrong at all, I just need more time to come around to your way of thinking.

For now, no doubt about it, we are entering a period of mild weather...but nearly every winter has had one of those so we can't learn about what the overall trend for what this winter is going to be yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Pleasant enough here in N Worcs today, though the sun has disappeared now. It feels cold outside, but not that cold -- a couple of days in the last week felt significantly colder to be out in. I don't need a scarf today, for example, which wasn't always the case during the coldest days.

The week ahead looks rather dull, in all senses of the word, but it's not a complete disaster, especially as the MetO seem quite keen on the colder, drier conditions returning later in December. To be quite honest, I'd settle for a dry and mild winter this time round. Yes I'd prefer snow and frost, but almost anything would be better than the squelchy mess we had last year!

Posted

This year has brought more decent air frosts than the last 3 years previous combined... November/December 2013/14/15 were pitiful.

-2.2c last night with the coldest day so far this month at 2.6c

• Like 1

Posted

Where do you get those models from Dancerwithwings? as you say chocolate teapot but cannot find 'em on meteociel

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Where do you get those models from Dancerwithwings? as you say chocolate teapot but cannot find 'em on meteociel

Just for you, snap shot....in yellow :)

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Posted

As we know CFS is the most useless, turns cold on 23rd Dec, and doesn't mild up until 15th Jan! some ridiculous charts in there, 

cfs-0-438.png?06cfs-0-714.png?06cfs-0-1008.png?06

Posted

Just noticed that it's very foggy out there tonight. Last night there was a good frost. Not the worst start to Winter really despite the mild weather soon to commence. Let's just hope it's short lived and with any luck we'll have snow to report on in the next few weeks and not just our Peak District and higher altitude located Midlands members.

Didnt get above 0c yesterday and the fog only started to lift this morning on the school run... so far the first 5 days of this winter are better than the entire winter last year... get the feeling we could well be in for a special end to the year....

Posted

Fog this morning lifted throughout the day to slightly less fog :ninja: :D

Compared to the last few days i know it's milder.....certainly doesn't feel it though :cold:

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Fog this morning lifted throughout the day to slightly less fog :ninja: :D

Compared to the last few days i know it's milder.....certainly doesn't feel it though :cold:

it feels a bit milder now, agree earlier it didn't, got one decent day before Thursdays deluge (NW of region)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Thick fog since 0830 here, accompanied by intermittent drizzle this afternoon. Yesterday we were above the fog and it was bright and a bit chilly. 6.3c at the moment with the temperature continuing to rise slowly.

Posted

Mild today. Periods of gloom broken up occasionally by sunshine. It's not easy to get mild and dry weather together at this time of year, so I suppose we should grudgingly enjoy it, even if we had hopes for something more seasonal a while back. Still rain in the forecast tomorrow though.

Cold or mild, dry weather has certainly been the theme of Autumn this year.

Not too much to say about the weather really right now. We're not looking at any potential for any real cold weather yet the ugliness that plagued us last year is thankfully not in the offering either.

Just have to wait and see what happens next.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A mild wet morning with moderate rain.

Temp 11c

Rain 4.4mm

Posted
55 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

A mild wet morning with moderate rain.

Temp 11c

Rain 4.4mm

What's new, suppose unusual though for you 11° cor, the christmas pudding

Posted

That rain wasn't that bad here this morning. Not sure how you fared further north. Now a lovely, bright and mild afternoon. Again, seems odd to get mild and sun together during winter. It may not be what we want but you can't deny this winter does already have a different feel  (except for this morning of course!). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The rainfall total for the year finally crawled above 1000mm here on Wednesday. After a wet start to the year with the total around 30% above average for the first 6 months it's now just 2% above the average up to December 8th.

Posted

It's actually raining properly this afternoon..a real soaker.

It's already a better winter when I bother to come on here to report some rain because it's something different.

OK then winter 2016/17 you've got me, I'm interested. For now anyway. What you got for us then?

Edited by Gord