Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I wouldn't get our hopes up too much this weekend to be honest.  I fear the set up will be too marginal and we are more likely to end up with icy cold rain rather than snow.  Why are there so many marginal events in the British winters these days.  It seems every time we have some sort of a chance for snow, it turns out too marginal for most of us and we just end up with rain rather than snow.  Even a few cms of snow would be nice.  That's hardly asking a lot.

Posted

It's been such a boring  year of weather here in the Black Country. Hardly any snow, just a few farty little thunderstorms during the summer. There's been plenty of sunshine this year so at least me and my lurcher have managed some good walks. 

So now we have potentially something interesting to look out for. Problem is that during the last few winters it's been really difficult to get the ingredients right over the Black Country for anything noteworthy. I think it was 2 winters ago that several times it started to snow heavily, we were looking good for something decent at last, only for it to turn to rain fairly quickly. A couple of them overnight too. Such disappointment going to bed with lying snow and waking up to a normal grey, wet day. So even when an event has started there is no guarantee that it can last. Such a fragile climate we live in for getting the conditions we want, but I guess that's why we get drawn back here because despite the disappointment, I still find it interesting. 

In fact, scratch everything I've just typed. I've changed my mind.  Can we have a thunderstorm instead? We're way behind the southeast on those this year! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

Im sure you will be fine.   The wording is also very interesting.  It now says  Areas could expect 10-20cm  including NW Midlands.   thats been added on during its update   which means more heavy showers are expected.

*Perhaps* the NW Midlands :wink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
22 minutes ago, Ian Ballinger said:

What do you class as the NW Midlands?

I wish there was a map somewhere with all these vague terms defined, but I guess that's the nature of vague terms, isn't it?

Fingers crossed for Telford getting snow - I think Ironbridge lies a bit lower? But if we do get it barrelling in from the NWerly, it may well not care much about your elevation asl! :)

Posted
1 hour ago, snow freak said:

I wouldn't get our hopes up too much this weekend to be honest.  I fear the set up will be too marginal and we are more likely to end up with icy cold rain rather than snow.  Why are there so many marginal events in the British winters these days.  It seems every time we have some sort of a chance for snow, it turns out too marginal for most of us and we just end up with rain rather than snow.  Even a few cms of snow would be nice.  That's hardly asking a lot.

The euro 4 looks good for some of the Midlands. For Friday  Elevation as always will play apart  can see most getting a covering more so above 150m  Sunday? Well anything could happen 

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

6Z shifts it SW, south of region currently look best placed, very interesting one this though, any further SW, and north of region to miss out

h850t850eu.png

Posted
1 hour ago, snow freak said:

-8 to -10 uppers won't be marginal.

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

I have to make my decision today... stay at home in Gentleshaw this weekend (until Sunday evening) or spend the Weekend in Manchester City centre. Where are my chances best do you think?

Gentleshaw my choice on current models, unless your elevation in Manchester is higher

Posted
10 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Gentleshaw my choice on current models, unless your elevation in Manchester is higher

Only 150ft in Manchester. Meto forecast on phone app seem quite keen to pile showers through into our neck of the woods Friday morning/afternoon. I guess as usual in these streamer set ups, i will be getting whatever you get, just a few minutes later.

Posted

WellGuys  on the met office twitter feed it shows half the country from East Scotland down through the spine of the country to the south midlands  then across to Bristol  all in the 2-5 cm zone  with 10-15 on higher ground    interesting  looks like quite an event   ps if anyone else sees it could they post it  struggling to upload   Edit   Found It.

D1695FCE-F27B-4A28-B56F-48B6D9B50B18.png.94efad9701647078783d74bb52c7f164.png

Edited by weirpig

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, weirpig said:

WellGuys  on the met office twitter feed it shows half the country from East Scotland down through the spine of the country to the south midlands  then across to Bristol  all in the 2-5 cm zone  with 10-15 on higher ground    interesting  looks like quite an event   ps if anyone else sees it could they post it  struggling to upload 

Is that for Thursday-Saturday or the unsure Sunday thing?

Posted
12 minutes ago, weirpig said:

WellGuys  on the met office twitter feed it shows half the country from East Scotland down through the spine of the country to the south midlands  then across to Bristol  all in the 2-5 cm zone  with 10-15 on higher ground    interesting  looks like quite an event   ps if anyone else sees it could they post it  struggling to upload 

snow.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Only 150ft in Manchester. Meto forecast on phone app seem quite keen to pile showers through into our neck of the woods Friday morning/afternoon. I guess as usual in these streamer set ups, i will be getting whatever you get, just a few minutes later.

Gentleshaw 220m though, advantage to you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A MASSIVE improvement for Snow in the Midlands for Friday right from the start in the form of heavy showers.

Capture.thumb.PNG.43b3c42eeeb78e51f0f7963aa58d00eb.PNG

Click on the Video forecast  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Showing showers all day :santa-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Dancerwithwings said:

A MASSIVE improvement for Snow in the Midlands for Friday right from the start in the form of heavy showers.

Capture.thumb.PNG.43b3c42eeeb78e51f0f7963aa58d00eb.PNG

Click on the Video forecast  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Showing showers all day :santa-emoji:

12Z GFS good too, slider low looks decent for us, also into FI now, but 2nd slider not bad either

gfs-0-174.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

12Z GFS good too, slider low looks decent for us, also into FI now, but 2nd slider not bad either

gfs-0-174.png?12

Just can't bring myself to look at Sunday just yet, Sliders are notorious to forecast, Ive seen them let us down even 12hrs before landing from a good dumping to not even a flake.....or worst RAIN :doh:

But I'm fair confident that Friday will turn out to be quite a good day......Daytime snow :yahoo: 

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Just can't bring myself to look at Sunday just yet, Sliders are notorious to forecast, Ive seen them let us down even 12hrs before landing from a good dumping to not even a flake.....or worst RAIN :doh:

But I'm fair confident that Friday will turn out to be quite a good day......Daytime snow :yahoo: 

To be honest Friday looks great. We always do well from the gap streamers here  what a start to winter. The slider well we have a ticket 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, weirpig said:

To be honest Friday looks great. We always do well from the gap streamers here  what a start to winter. The slider well we have a ticket 

Troughs are us on the MO FAX charts for Friday, you never know more persistent snow methinks :D

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1512648000

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
20 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Troughs are us on the MO FAX charts for Friday, you never know more persistent snow methinks :D

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColour&fcTime=1512648000

And the Euro 4 backs that up  edit top ones 6z 

IMG_1100.GIF

IMG_1101.GIF

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, weirpig said:

And the Euro 4 backs that up 

IMG_1100.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow:)

I'm trying not too get too excited but....

woo hoo! :yahoo:Here's hoping for a dumping! 

• Like 1