Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I’ll raise you 47cm (which, for Solihull would be unheard of!)

Although, apparently, 35cm of that is ..... FOG......? ?

7DA50209-A90F-4949-9BD8-F76E996A4275.png

Posted
42 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

seems odd, fog with a 40mph wind?

Maybe fog with strong wind is xcweathers blizzard symbol/word??? I’ve no idea.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
5 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Maybe fog with strong wind is xcweathers blizzard symbol/word??? I’ve no idea.... 

Maybe it’s ‘The Fog’.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Telford is allegedly due a foot of snow at nearly 80mph... :)

I don't understand the technicalities of forecasting much but there is something across a number of forecasting sites that is forecasting a walloping great load of high-speed snow charging in and landing on a huge swathe of the middle of England at the end of next week. 

Isn't it such a SHAME that forecasting snow in the UK is so notoriously tricky and that it's a whole week of changeability away? It would be so exciting! :)

If only, if only, if only...

EDIT: dunno why it's put it twice, sorry... maybe we get two foot of snow at 150 mph?!?!?!

image.thumb.png.b87618f6c3ccbf94c8fb40e9e321f773.png24176880_10156889763229606_1286773568760

Edited by BleakMidwinter
  • Like 1

Posted

Well XC has now shifted, post 22hours, to a forecast of Thursday bing 11C in the afternoon so I don't see the foot of snow happening at 11 degrees! :D

Posted
1 hour ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Telford is allegedly due a foot of snow at nearly 80mph... :)

I don't understand the technicalities of forecasting much but there is something across a number of forecasting sites that is forecasting a walloping great load of high-speed snow charging in and landing on a huge swathe of the middle of England at the end of next week. 

Isn't it such a SHAME that forecasting snow in the UK is so notoriously tricky and that it's a whole week of changeability away? It would be so exciting! :)

If only, if only, if only...

EDIT: dunno why it's put it twice, sorry... maybe we get two foot of snow at 150 mph?!?!?!

image.thumb.png.b87618f6c3ccbf94c8fb40e9e321f773.png24176880_10156889763229606_1286773568760

If that lands against a building you’ll be able to slide out the window of the first floor or no snow but around the nearest building 5-10ft drifts....hehe not going to happen but hopefully one day....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

please come off GFS, amazing charts for this region, especially the NW of region, and obviously peaks, but still FI and nervy 12Z's await today, will it go tits up, EC key too, but mainly that GFS dosen't backtrack, chart suggests a great day next Sat for NW Midlands mainly

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

please come off GFS, amazing charts for this region, especially the NW of region, and obviously peaks, but still FI and nervy 12Z's await today, will it go tits up, EC key too, but mainly that GFS dosen't backtrack, chart suggests a great day next Sat for NW Midlands mainly

h850t850eu.png

Not to sure it will be mainly a saturday event. It looks as if it has possibilities on Thursday and Friday also.

We need to see the low  coming in from the south west 'drop south' by a hundred miles and we will all be buried. 

(that's the theory anyway).

MIA

Posted
1 minute ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Not to sure it will be mainly a saturday event. It looks as if it has possibilities on Thursday and Friday also.

We need to see the low  coming in from the south west 'drop south' by a hundred miles and we will all be buried. 

(that's the theory anyway).

MIA

Thurs a tricky one, very mild 12 degrees most of the day, cold front moving through later, needs to drop temps while ppn still there, could be a classic rain to snow setup, but iffy, around 6pm  the cold air gets here, favoured spots could see thundersnow 28 Jan '04 event

hgt500-1000.png

• Like 1

Posted

Generalising and, as always, m being no expert, but it looks to me as if each run since yesterday has resulted in updates for the various forecasts that suggest that wretched 12-degrees hot-pot moving earlier and earlier, from Thursday afternoon to now Thursday early morning, whilst the precip has stayed Thursday afternoon and night, keeping it as snow...

I am starting to get hopeful. I may get very little done on Thursday, as our sitting room window faces out north-west where it will come from if it comes... 

• Like 1

Posted

What are peoples thoughts on the upcoming cold?

Since the monster snowfalls the gfs had shown on friday it seems to have evolved into a standard northerly imo which probably won't be to great unless a Cheshire gap streamer sets up but even then luck is required wrt who gets hit. 

Hopefully the hi res models show more promising charts in around 48hours time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

No expert but having already seen a little bit of snow last week I feel confident anything can happen. I guess now the models are showing  cold at least we might have something exciting at short range. Keeping tabs on Thursday wind and rain as well!

edit- also did not have fantastically cold uppers and it still snowed and settled (a bit!) :)

Edited by Barometer Cat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi Folks,

The end of this coming week is certainly looking very interesting for us cold/snow lovers.

Snow is on the way if you ask me once we get rid of these largely cloudy skies with it turning wet and windy for all through Wednesday and Thursday,

THEN THIS :D

gfs-0-108_csq0.png Would'nt be surprised to see a covering come Friday morning for some.

Friday is snow day with showers and heavy at times one thing as the week goes on I will be keeping an eye on the (MO fax charts) with potential for troughs giving more organised bands of snow

gfs-0-126_ptj6.pnguksnowrisk.png

And for now Saturday is there also full of snow Shower coming down the Cheshire Gap

uksnowrisk.png

In all a very interesting end to this forthcoming week and over the weekend for :cold::cold::cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Hi Folks,

The end of this coming week is certainly looking very interesting for us cold/snow lovers.

Snow is on the way if you ask me once we get rid of these largely cloudy skies with it turning wet and windy for all through Wednesday and Thursday,

THEN THIS :D

gfs-0-108_csq0.png Would'nt be surprised to see a covering come Friday morning for some.

Friday is snow day with showers and heavy at times one thing as the week goes on I will be keeping an eye on the (MO fax charts) with potential for troughs giving more organised bands of snow

gfs-0-126_ptj6.pnguksnowrisk.png

And for now Saturday is there also full of snow Shower coming down the Cheshire Gap

uksnowrisk.png

In all a very interesting end to this forthcoming week and over the weekend for :cold::cold::cold:

Hope so, away from the NW of the region, northerly regimes are a bit pants for the rest of us unless we get Jan 2003 type troughs moving through as well. 

I’m keener on the slider scenario to be honest, I’d rather see one big dump that hangs around for several days after, than cold but dry days with just the odd snow shower that melts quickly afterwards.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

Hope so, away from the NW of the region, northerly regimes are a bit pants for the rest of us unless we get Jan 2003 type troughs moving through as well. 

I’m keener on the slider scenario to be honest, I’d rather see one big dump that hangs around for several days after, than cold but dry days with just the odd snow shower that melts quickly afterwards.

These are the senaros that we are looking for or keep an eye on (charts below)

A wave running down the Irish sea into Wales and Devon that can change things regarding snow from a covering to come on kids lets go sledging, slight changes/upgrades are to be seen as the week goes by :D

120-7UK_wuo1.GIF126-7UK_jnn5.GIF

Posted

According to netweather, Birmingham has a 86% chance of snow on Thursday, but in Bedworth (my town) 16 miles east, we have a 0% chance of snow on any day in the next 10 days :-D

Posted
57 minutes ago, cyclonic happiness said:

According to netweather, Birmingham has a 86% chance of snow on Thursday, but in Bedworth (my town) 16 miles east, we have a 0% chance of snow on any day in the next 10 days :-D

Forget %'s....You've been around long enough to know a good set up when you see one.

114-7UK_qvp2.GIFimage.thumb.png.6d9ad359257f16aeba71128ef2d17808.png114-526UK_qld2.GIF114-580UK_mhg8.GIF = 12_120_preciptype.png?cb=942

Posted

My Status..... :D

image.thumb.png.eb7a8f929e0f1b5dc25c0d63f45bccc7.pngimage.thumb.png.ca7671256b539ab7806a67ca011f1edb.png

• Like 1

Posted

Mega shock to the system regarding temperatures there's a warm sector over us wed's evening giving temps of around 12c to 13c 

84-778UK_yyp8.GIF

Then just 6 hrs later temps of 0c to -1c

114-778UK_qhj4.GIF

With a strong WIND CHILL!!!!  :cold:

114-290UK_rwq3.GIF

Talking of temps (ENS CHART)...December looks pretty CHILLY to me up to the 19th for now anyway.....:D

graphe_ens4_frn6.gif

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

yes, great charts from a cheshire gap streamer, also Thursday night upgrade, 'mild sector' gone, 12Z on left, 06 right

hgt500-1000.pnghgt500-1000.png

• Like 1