Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Certainly an Autumnal day here with heavy showers driving through on a brisk wind.

Temp currently 10.9c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The air pressure reading of 984.8 hPa earlier today was the lowest in September since 2012 and the 6th lowest for the month in the past 50 years. The weather today has reflected it too with a few gusts over 40 mph and frequent blustery showers. The lowest pressure I've recorded in September ( since 1964) was 979.7 hPa on the 19th in 1981.

Edited by Terminal Moraine
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted

Warning out for tomorrow with gusts possibly touching 65mph going by the latest GFS.

ukgust.webp

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Wow!  Something interesting is happening with the weather :)

With trees in full leaf still I can see a fair few being up rooted.

image.thumb.gif.60cb0176a04e6e58b87e3e5354f2d388.gif 39-110UK-1H_nhi4.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Wow!  Something interesting is happening with the weather :)

With trees in full leaf still I can see a fair few being up rooted.

image.thumb.gif.60cb0176a04e6e58b87e3e5354f2d388.gif 39-110UK-1H_nhi4.GIF

Yep  amber now in force for parts of the Midlands    could be a bit blowy 

• Like 1

Posted

Yes an interesting 24 hr coming up, I like a good gale ☺

Meto

"20:00 on Tuesday until 10:00 on Wednesday

Storm Aileen is expected to bring very strong winds with gusts of 50-60 mph on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. The worst of the winds, with gusts to 65-75 mph, are expected to be across North Wales, southern parts of Northern England, the North Midlands and Norfolk, for which area a separate Amber warning is being issued. Longer journey times by road, rail and air are likely, with restrictions on roads and bridges. There is also a chance of power cuts, and damage to trees and perhaps buildings. Along windward-facing coasts, some wave overtopping is possible."

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Meto

Storm Aileen is expected to bring very strong winds with gusts of 50-60 mph on Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning. The worst of the winds, with gusts to 65-75 mph, are expected to be across North Wales, southern parts of Northern England, the North Midlands and Norfolk, for which area a separate Amber warning is being issued. Longer journey times by road, rail and air are likely, with restrictions on roads and bridges. There is also a chance of power cuts, and damage to trees and perhaps buildings. Along windward-facing coasts, some wave overtopping is possible."

Time to bring out this gem

12558856_1845410909034679_1800465637_n.j

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

Meto

Me too, P.M.I can't remember the last time this area had an amber warning for gales- we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking forward to seeing what tonight/tomorrow morning brings as long as everyone stays safe of course! Could be very interesting for north Midlands such as Stafford upwards who will bear the brunt. I'm about 20 miles south of Stafford so I'm still expecting a few strong gusts but I don't expect any trees coming down!

Stay safe all :D

Posted
54 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

Me too, P.M.I can't remember the last time this area had an amber warning for gales- we'll see what happens.

We was Amber here for Storm Doris  i believe   mind you that was wild 

34e438f1-b213-44f9-83ec-7a5369f9aa69.png.689bf7dba165fdda859586d27c09608e.png

Edited by weirpig

Posted
4 hours ago, weirpig said:

We was Amber here for Storm Doris  i believe   mind you that was wild 

34e438f1-b213-44f9-83ec-7a5369f9aa69.png.689bf7dba165fdda859586d27c09608e.png

You're right, I'd forgotten is was as recent as that. Had a mean speed of 53 mph and a gust of 80 mph at 340 mts that day. If it's as strong as that tonight there could well be some tree damage as they're still in full leaf. 

• Like 2

Posted

Rain just touching here now.

Posted

A gust of 68 mph early this morning was the highest in September since I started continuous wind speed records 20 years ago. No damage as far as I can see but a lot of leaves and small sticks lying in the roads.

• Like 2

Posted

Thunder heard to the south of here during mid afternoon was only the third day this year with thunder. The fewest thunder days in a year over the last 40 years was 7 in 1978 and 1995 so that particular record could be under threat this year.

• Like 1

Posted

Breezy overnight enough to bring a big branch down on the lane over the BT lines.. At least it will add to the wood stock for next year. Currently light drizzle here and overcast.

20170921_074258.thumb.jpg.c5d6b866831741bb94b5acdeaa5fb104.jpg

Posted

The early morning drizzle slowly turned to persistent light rain by lunch, Rain stopped around 4pm with sky's slowly breaking now.

Temp currently 11.3c

Rain 2.4mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
4 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Hello Autumn. 2.5c this morning at 6am in my little frost pocket

4.1C my minimum, but we had rain until16:30hrs and so it was very wet to start off with.

MIA

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

To me the first of Autumn starts today (1st Oct) compared to the last number of years its nice to see autumnal colours earlier :)

Posted

Currently persistent light to moderate rain being driven on a blustery wind and low cloud. Nice and Autumnal ☺

Posted

Some interesting weather on the way for this evening with gales and heavy rain localy, Warnings have just been put in force by the Meto. Currently dry here with a chilly wind and sunny spells.

Temp 9.5c

Wind NNW 

Posted

Blustery with light sometimes moderate rain here with low cloud, Very dull out still got the light on in the kitchen.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Turned heavy just now. 

Temp 12.3c

Rain 4.3mm

Edit just eased with sunny spells now and blue sky's above.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Heavy driving drizzle here for the past 2 hours. Like sheets moving across the hillsides.