Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
8 minutes ago, Essan said:

And on a seperate note, it also remains extremely dry - just 12mm this month and a little over 200mm for the year

yes, this is the main issue for me, its been so awfully dry this summer and, unless I'm mistaken, comes on the back of a fairly dry winter as well.  I'm beginning to feel around these parts we will dry to a crisp and wither away.  So many trees locally are looking tired and some look ready to throw the towel in and we are only half way through July.  There seems to be a frequently present pesky wind that seems to add to the drying effect.  I have a wood leading onto open farmland at the back of me and all this dryness does worry me somewhat.  The wind has dropped a little since first thing this morning and now we are in full sun again so yet another drying day coming up.  Whilst I am conscious and respectful of what folk in parts of Cornwall have endured during the last 24-hours, I really am hoping for some decent rainfall here sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
15 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Thought I might have heard very faint and distant rumbles in the far distance earlier this morning when I was half asleep, but now I'm not so sure. 

What is going on here. I'm starting to wonder whether we'll see any thunder at all in this area this year. Any chance of anything still developing today?

Maybe, but its a case of time will tell again, surely our shield has to give way soon

xconvmap_190717,281,29.png.pagespeed.ic.EcR-2kVGfR.png

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Maybe, but its a case of time will tell again, surely our shield has to give way soon

xconvmap_190717,281,29.png.pagespeed.ic.EcR-2kVGfR.png

No doubt it'll thunder again round here eventually. But I'm really starting to doubt it'll be this year now. We're still in the peak annual period for it for a while yet I know, but it's kind of the equivalent of getting into late January with no snow. At that stage you start to get concerned.

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

yes, this is the main issue for me, its been so awfully dry this summer and, unless I'm mistaken, comes on the back of a fairly dry winter as well.  I'm beginning to feel around these parts we will dry to a crisp and wither away.  So many trees locally are looking tired and some look ready to throw the towel in and we are only half way through July.  There seems to be a frequently present pesky wind that seems to add to the drying effect.  I have a wood leading onto open farmland at the back of me and all this dryness does worry me somewhat.  The wind has dropped a little since first thing this morning and now we are in full sun again so yet another drying day coming up.  Whilst I am conscious and respectful of what folk in parts of Cornwall have endured during the last 24-hours, I really am hoping for some decent rainfall here sooner rather than later.

I'm not too fussed about it been dry (better this than the Summer we had a decade ago). Let's just hope our drought is broken in the Winter in the form of lots of snow. One can but dream. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
19 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

I'm not too fussed about it been dry (better this than the Summer we had a decade ago). Let's just hope our drought is broken in the Winter in the form of lots of snow. One can but dream. :D

I think we deserve decent snow given the appalling number of storms, while the East deserve rain.

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, xSnow said:

I think we deserve decent snow given the appalling number of storms, while the East deserve rain.

Ha ha ha. I'm not greedy though, I'm willing to share with everyone, as the pain of disappointment is not something I want to share. Now if only the easterners could return the favour. :D

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 1

When I went off to work yesterday afternoon Swadlincote had an 80% chance of storms between 4am and 7am, and between 57% and 75% chance for the rest of today thereafter......so I was expecting an exciting / scary night! However, I felt thoroughly deflated when I logged in, on getting back home just after midnight, to see there was 0% chance for the entire 24 hours! What's going on with the Midlands?? NO lightning, no distant rumbles since some time last summer!

Two years ago we missed the biggest event back home when our neighbours said the windows and roof shook with the ferocity of the thunder! We were having our last night in our caravan in Herefordshire, having watched the dire warnings on the Midlands news for vicious thunderstorms with frequent lightning. Herefordshire was expected to be one of the worst hit areas and I viewed the ominous black skies overhead with mixed trepidation and excitement. What did we get? A sum total of 4 flashes and loud rumbles and that was it. The rain even kindly held off until we came to take the awning down next morning! Yet South Derbyshire got a spectacular display for once!  Grrr!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.
3 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

No doubt it'll thunder again round here eventually. But I'm really starting to doubt it'll be this year now. We're still in the peak annual period for it for a while yet I know, but it's kind of the equivalent of getting into late January with no snow. At that stage you start to get concerned.

Sometimes we get more snow around here in early spring like especially March, just hope the storms can do the same, bring them the second half of summer, maybe we can get plenty so it'll top us up for the year again, plus there is an advantage for having storms later because if they come from the south the channel is a lot warmer so maybe some storms will get across more inland, but I know it don't matter about sea temps with elevated storms but I reckon it could still be an advantage, lets just hope and wait to see what the rest of July, August and maybe September brings like last year :).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Last night here was very quiet, you'd never guess there were storms anywhere. Hot and oppressive. And now, after a dull start, we have drizzle and hill fog! Currently 19.2 C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy
10 hours ago, xSnow said:

Not only did we not see the worst of the storms as we were supposed to, we didn't see any! It shocked me how bad it was and I actually knew by 11pm that they weren't tracking towards us, but I expected something to happen and it never did. It will go down as one of the biggest misses ever, we missed an MSC and then all the other action! Actually, this year is on par as going down as the worst year ever for thunderstorms in the West Midlands. I actually cannot remember a worse year. An incredible map to show how we missed out:

IMG_5100.thumb.PNG.dfe3e5bdba1c2768e9583d5b6a940ec9.PNG

Quite similar to the last major event this year:

IMG_4954.thumb.PNG.1bf90a0486c63482cd6a6209d02c7a4a.PNG

Those captures are both depressing and infuriating in equal measure

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

It's spitting rain here!

Fairly spitting, I tell yer!

F F S

Edited by dusk
Nannying swear filter that recognises acronyms

Posted

All these maps are depressing, combine them together and our region is mostly clear. Shocking. :nonono:

IMG_5105.thumb.PNG.3b230443eaf93f3b36bfbc36f05bbcdd.PNGIMG_5106.thumb.PNG.14cd61cc0acbff5a2b3c072c0b390d34.PNGIMG_5107.thumb.PNG.5a3cd522379660bd5f586a33191539cb.PNGIMG_5108.thumb.PNG.1d198510ee07446ad24340bac0693269.PNG

Posted
36 minutes ago, xSnow said:

All these maps are depressing, combine them together and our region is mostly clear. Shocking. :nonono:

IMG_5105.thumb.PNG.3b230443eaf93f3b36bfbc36f05bbcdd.PNGIMG_5106.thumb.PNG.14cd61cc0acbff5a2b3c072c0b390d34.PNGIMG_5107.thumb.PNG.5a3cd522379660bd5f586a33191539cb.PNGIMG_5108.thumb.PNG.1d198510ee07446ad24340bac0693269.PNG

Yeah it seems that the Midlands and the far north of Scotland are the only regions immune. Mind you the far north of Scotland is easily the most snowy part of the UK. Maybe a sign we'll join them :D.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!
11 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

This came up on my facebook, missed everything here, 

ZomboMeme 19072017180425.jpg

Posted

Abysmal morning woke up to rain all over my carpet even though it wasn't even forecast to be moderately heavy - but not thundery rain for sure.

Posted
18 minutes ago, xSnow said:

Abysmal morning woke up to rain all over my carpet even though it wasn't even forecast to be moderately heavy - but not thundery rain for sure.

Yes a complete bust for our region yet again. I believe that was the third thunder event this year that we saw no results from. Maybe next time, whenever that may be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Best thing is keep your eyes and ears open and keep getting any info from sites like these, the results may be less disappointing than the official one/s.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Light sometimes moderate rain here all morning with the fronts back edge just passing now.. Hopefully a dry afternoon, Much cooler than of late.

Temp 11.8c with a slack N/West wind.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

I moved to the Midlands in 2006. Lived in Staffordshire, then Stourbridge and I've been here in Upper Gornal since 2012.

In the 11 years I've been in the Midlands, 2017 by far has been the most dull for weather so far. I cannot pick our any one event that I remember from this year so far. I think the mini spells of hot weather this summer must be the most notable.

What I will say in 2017's favour though is that there have been some cracking early mornings for our daily dog walk. And the bluebell display during the Spring was a good one this year. But apart from that, not really a lot happening.

On a more positive note, there is potential for a showery setup this weekend and historically, we can do fairly well out of these for thunder. OK, so it won't be the humdingers that the south and east have been having but at least it will put us on the scoreboard for this year!

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, xSnow said:

not from the midlands, but decided to pop in to check out how the midlands were doing storm-wise.. I did used to live in Nottingham but moved to Norfolk 4 years ago and it was all but dead here until this year, and after thinking about it and then viewing this, my part of Norfolk especially has done very well with storms this year, despite most of them being small, the amount of days with at least a distant rumble is surprisingly high. 

Wish you all the best of luck for the second half of summer into autumn for storms, don't give up hope yet, they'll come eventually and when they do they'll be triple as amazing as you remember them.

Posted

Very interesting looking convective type clouds floating about up there today. There not doing anything but what I like is that the sky around them has been a nice and clear blue, rather than the hazy sunshine we've been experiencing of late. I suppose there may be a small chance during the night of a storm if I was been ambitious, but I'm wise enough to keep my expectations low these days, even if the met office gave an 100% prediction, as even that's not a complete guarantee.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted

And as if by magic, when there's no chance of anything thundery, the showers can't wait to head straight for us!