Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Still just plain old rain showers round these parts. Can't see it turning out any different now. Still good to hear that some members not too far away have seen some snow today even if nothing really remarkable. Looks as though meteorological Winter 2016/17  is going to close today with very little snow to speak of, except for that very short lived covering we had back in mid January (not even 24 hours). Not that we can dismiss the possibility of seeing more snow in early Spring, with mid March been speculated on by some members in the MOD thread. I've got to admit though that I've come to the stage, whereby if it happens I will appreciate and enjoy it, but at this stage now I'm not overly fussed and wouldn't mind a bit of early Spring sunshine and warmth either. I at least hope though this Winter will mark the end of the mostly mild and practically snowless cluster of Winters we've had to endure since 2013. I'm not overly confident of this, but been as this Winter is the 4th in succession now I imagine we're probably closer now to our next cold and more snowy Winter than we are to Winter 2012/13 which was our last. It won't be until mid to late Autumn though until any clues start to build in relation to next Winter. Although one aspect of the disappointment as far as this Winter has been concerned was the promising outlook for it towards the end of last Autumn, which raised our hopes, but in reality has been little or no better than the 3 Winters preceding it. Oh well this is Great Britain not Hokkaido, and some places in Europe have had a very cold Winter. In many ways it was the Winter equivalent of Summer 2015, when much of Europe experienced a lovely hot Summer and the UK was left out in the cold or cool and wet at least. Whereas this Winter we were left out in the mild, though I believe Scandinavia was as well. Just goes to show that we really are at the end of the line when it comes to extreme continental style temperatures and very often the train decides to terminate service before getting this far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Its raining Cats & Dogs and Pancakes here :D

• Like 1

Posted

Aperge is my favourite model now bit of a snow fest for parts of the midlands  take a look will be gone by the morning :) hirlam has same areas but rain 

IMG_0490.PNG

IMG_0491.PNG

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Sleet here with a temp' of 2.8c.

Posted
19 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

Sleet here with a temp' of 2.8c.

I was waiting for someone to report a wintry flavour to tonights precipitation. Just rain here but I keep checking now and again to see if it's changed. Looked on the North West thread and people there are reporting sleet and snow. Any chance of any of that coming this way I wonder?

Posted

Wind picking up & getting heavier, but still just rain in Stoke, probably a different story a little higher up than me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Good covering at Flash, always nice to see it fresh when it is late at night/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

Wind picking up & getting heavier, but still just rain in Stoke, probably a different story a little higher up than me.

That's part of the issue down this way. I can only imagine the Manchester area is experiencing evaporative cooling at the moment.

Posted

1-2cm of  lying snow ( judging by a quick look from the window ) but no more falling at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A covering of a few cm wet snow overnight has nearly all thawed here in the last few hours, Currently overcast with light showers.

Well this winter truly has done it for me, a few light dustings that are gone as soon as the sun comes up aint cutting it now more... found me and the snow clan a beautiful cottage in a tiny hamlet at the base of the Lammermuir Hills East Lothian 218m asl... next winter we shall see our snow..

Posted

Persistent moderate rain and shrouded in cloud here.

Temp 4.8c

Rain 7.9mm

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

18.6 mm here yesterday made it the wettest day since November 21st.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, weirpig said:

No just rain for me. Oh how I'd love sleet :)

Back to rain here now too :/

Posted

Flakes the size of teapots(ok cup widths) earlier massive,got a slight covering of snow more higher 1.5c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

To my surprise.(currently in rugeley) the rain is turning to snow here with snow flakes the size of bowling balls. 

Posted

Light rain starting just now here.

Temp 3.1c

Dp 2.4c

Edited by Polar Maritime