Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Dew point still dropping. It is now down to -0.9C.

Temperature now has also started to fall. It is now down to1.9C, having maxed at 2.1C. It should be rising at this time of day.

Also worthy of note is the windchill, It is now tending into negative territory in the stronger gusts.

Still some snow flurries, and one or two moderate sized flakes floating around. 

MIA    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Heavy snow here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Dew point dropping due to wind switching to more south easterly?

Posted

Only just noticed, but it's snowing lightly here too. A bit surprised really, but unless it comes down heavy at some point the grounds far too wet for it to settle. Will keep an eye on it though.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Heavy snow here now.

The difference a few miles and geography makes. There's been norhing more than a few spots in the wind for 24 hours and for the past hour, the sun has been popping out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

It's snowing! I wasn't expecting that today. Currently 1.5oC. Quite large flakes, too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

SnowyOwl.....

A good spot..

Interesting - the temperature is remaining steady here at about 2.0C.

We had rain earlier this morning and overnight up to 9:30....

However,  the dewpoint is now dropping quickly. It is now down to -0.6C as opposed to 0.6C earlier on.

As reported above we are now seeing snowflakes floating around again in the central Midlands..

The colder air seems to be pushing back south again.

Was this forecast?

Could it be that the ridge to the north is intensifying again?

We can always hope!

MIA

There's a small area of -7c upper air ( from -5 to -6 earlier this morning ) pushing in from the south east from around midday until 1500 but after that milder uppers will gradually move in and by mid evening it will be around +2 to +4c at the 850 hpa level. Any remaining falling snow ( which doesn't look like being much by late afternoon) will turn to sleet, then rain, except at the highest levels, say above 450 m.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
20 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

There's a small area of -7c upper air ( from -5 to -6 earlier this morning ) pushing in from the south east from around midday until 1500 but after that milder uppers will gradually move in and by mid evening it will be around +2 to +4c at the 850 hpa level. Any remaining falling snow ( which doesn't look like being much by late afternoon) will turn to sleet, then rain except at the highest levels, say above 450 m.

Thanks for  your info.

Even if it not the news I was hoping for.!

MIA 

edit..

Dew point still at -1c.   with temp at 1.6C. So it has steadied off  now

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

A few flakes of snow. Air temp of 3.1 and dew point of -0.4.

Disappointing cold spell. Too sheltered by the Peak District and too marginal for proper snow anyway. Too much cloud for any night time frosts as well. Covering of snow yesterday was nice to see, but it was very icy and didn't last long.

Posted

Snow has now stopped after a brief finale of ice pellets. 4cm lying but the temperature is now up to 0.1c  and there's thick fog.

Posted

I`ve seen snowgrains fall at upper air temps above 0 or 2c but don`t think it`ll happen this time but who knows.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
On 2/10/2017 at 18:32, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

roll on Spring! 10° on Wed!!!!!!

Agreed.... A mild outlook and double fig's now but rain never too far away at this stage...... Friday don't look too bad at all :)

Capture.thumb.PNG.96131823c5c508ee8d37460f48b3d194.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.eb60552efaee992ec7d67ee431fa18a9.PNG

Edit......Today is sunny and Currently 10.3c....Wasn't expecting that :)

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Agreed.... A mild outlook and double fig's now but rain never too far away at this stage...... Friday don't look too bad at all :)

Capture.thumb.PNG.96131823c5c508ee8d37460f48b3d194.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.eb60552efaee992ec7d67ee431fa18a9.PNG

Edit......Today is sunny and Currently 10.3c....Wasn't expecting that :)

10° unreal! felt so unpleasant here it's unreal, absolutely howling wind, couldn't help thinking wishing the 20th Feb 14° to come off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Unseasonable mild today for an east wind at 6.3c max doesn`t feel normal at all.

cor, felt like coldest day ever, hands and ears feet like they would drop off

now that's what I call Spring!

ukmaxtemp.png

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

Still a few snow patches hanging on in the shade here despite a max' of 6.3c this afternoon. Tomorrow will see the end of them though and then it looks like quite a wait for any more.

Posted

Well what a complete & utter waste of time that last cold snap was for Nottingham. looks like another winter will pass without a single day of lying snow. I suppose I should be grateful I have actually seen snow flakes albeit intermixed with pouring rain.

So disappointed with last weekend, winds from the East, with decent precipitation yet dew points that marginal that we end up with periods of wet snow mixed with rain that never stood a chance of settling. You just couldnt make it up. Given latest output time to move on methinks

Edited by Ryan05

Posted

Hi Ryan05, same here, no days of snow actually lying....still time maybe...We need a march 2013 :cold:

Regarding the so called that "last cold snap", I still can't get my head around the fact that we had -9 850hpa (uppers) with Dew points at 0c and no snow....just a sleety mix.

We've had snow in the past with -2 850 hpa's..... Just really proves to me now, how hard it is to forecast snow in the UK.

Posted

Yes it was bizarre, would be interesting to hear the views of the more technically minded amongst us as to just what went wrong for most of us snow wise last weekend in the Midlands.

Posted
6 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Hi Ryan05, same here, no days of snow actually lying....still time maybe...We need a march 2013 :cold:

Regarding the so called that "last cold snap", I still can't get my head around the fact that we had -9 850hpa (uppers) with Dew points at 0c and no snow....just a sleety mix.

We've had snow in the past with -2 850 hpa's..... Just really proves to me now, how hard it is to forecast snow in the UK.

I'm sure in due course they will analyse it and publish a report in Weather or something, but I'm struggling to get my head round it. -9C uppers, and the lapse rate wasn't that great (the reports of marginal conditions even at 200-300m). Perhaps there just was a thin layer of very cold air around the 850mb level which didn't affect ground conditions, other than turning some of the precipitation wintry (but not allowing it to stick because there was no cold air down below). It mostly had the feel of an E'ly with warmer uppers, like December 2002.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

I'm sure in due course they will analyse it and publish a report in Weather or something, but I'm struggling to get my head round it. -9C uppers, and the lapse rate wasn't that great (the reports of marginal conditions even at 200-300m). Perhaps there just was a thin layer of very cold air around the 850mb level which didn't affect ground conditions, other than turning some of the precipitation wintry (but not allowing it to stick because there was no cold air down below). It mostly had the feel of an E'ly with warmer uppers, like December 2002.

Yes thickness levels were simply just thin....or just a UK mini global warming, scenario, situation, thingy going on :crazy:

Edited by Dancerwithwings