Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted

Any more positive updates snowwise tomorrow!!ecm showed midlands getting plastered sunday morning and gfs joined the party aswell!!interestingly arpege shows temps close to freezing all day tomorrow across the midlands  with 850 temps of -9!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer of 95 said:

Lots of cloud moving in, but no precipitation. And we still can't get below freezing with -10 uppers, something is going wrong with our weather. These have been noticeable since 2013:

*Cold uppers not being reflected by ground-level temps. Uppers of -8 to -10 and +2 to +4 down below. 

*Cold wind directions bringing milder air. It's been a constant theme with northerlies, now it's being forecast off an easterly too. What hope do we have for lasting cold and snow when this keeps happening?

*Cold synoptics not delivering. Connected to the two above.

*Temperatures not falling on clear nights. This has been the most unsettling of them all: it drops to freezing after sunset and then rises inexplicably during the night, it stays at 2C all night then drops briefly to -0.5 just before sunrise, or it constantly rises and falls between -2 and +2C. 2016/17 hasn't been as bad for this as the previous three (we got to -6C during that anticyclonic spell) but it is still happening.

*No really cold days. Only two days since March 2013 with a high below 2C, and none below 0C. Even the runs of mild winters from 1988-90 and 1998-2000 did better than that.

I hope this all gets sorted out this Feb/March!

I sympathise. There's just no precip about for us in the west. Also, I bet your ground temps (progged 0 - 1) are being modified by a degree or 2 by the urban heat effect.

Posted
58 minutes ago, kumquat said:

I sympathise. There's just no precip about for us in the west. Also, I bet your ground temps (progged 0 - 1) are being modified by a degree or 2 by the urban heat effect.

I'm in a village 5 miles from town, so shouldn't have much of an urban heat effect- it seems that temps are just not as cold as they "should" be. But I have seen a few flakes tonight, so the uppers are playing ball...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Light snow falling here now. Doubt it will amount to much though. Bitterly cold though! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt_in_dudley said:

Light snow falling here now. Doubt it will amount to much though. Bitterly cold though! 

Light snow in Tipton, very light covering on car roof. Better than nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
54 minutes ago, Soma said:

Light flames blowing on the wind here! Won't last long but still :)

Don't get burnt lol !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

quite a heavy snow shower here in aston its good to see.

Posted

Can confirm it's lightly snowing here too. Settling a bit on some surfaces but needs to be heavier with larger flakes for a full covering. Better get some sleep now before work tomorrow. Question is will I awake to a Winter wonderland in the morning? Probably not.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Light snow here,big flakes but failing to settle as yet!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Woke up to a nice covering and light snow. Nice suprise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Light snow falling here on the Malverns, currently 0.4oC. Snow is sticking but at this rate it'll take awhile to cover things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

stil lite snow falling here slight dusting. well enjoy it folks may not get anymore this winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

A good covering here this morning,  I'm hoping it carries on through the day without turning to rain. I suppose we will just have to wait and see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
12 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

A good covering here this morning,  I'm hoping it carries on through the day without turning to rain. I suppose we will just have to wait and see

And the other side of the city here, just cars covered with snow hardly anything on the ground.....Frankley is twice the height and makes the difference.

Here...Currently 0.6c and very light snow :search:

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A cold night with snow showers into the morning, A low of -0.5c

Currently; Snow showers.

Temp 0.8c

Dp 0.1c

Wind Chill -2.1c N/E Avg 12mph

Snow cover 100% With around 3cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Here is a pic from my window, all very icy out there no of this wet type stuff. Just need more precipitation lol

IMG_20170211_073947.JPG