Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

GFS continues to tease and seemingly upgrade the snow risk for Saturday.

A case of the low resolution making a few scattered flurries look like a nationwide blizzard? Or may we actually see a decent dumping?

I guess we won't have a better idea until it comes into the range of the higher resolution models.

IMG_3570.PNG

Looks great but excitement tempered due to next weeks weather, will be a fast thaw, thats if we get any at all

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Looks great but excitement tempered due to next weeks weather, will be a fast thaw, thats if we get any at all

Speak for yourself kid, if we get a couple days of cold and snowy'ish weather......I'll take it :D

• Like 2

Posted

We could possibly see a few flakes of snow in the next few days and so what if there's talk of mild next week. Still feel we will enjoy a good snow fall in the next 6 weeks :-)

Posted

nmmuk-16-72-0_qrf6.pngnmmuk-1-72-0_fyy1.png   Just for now :D

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not overly confident that we'll see anything substantial, due to so many let downs in recent years, but if we do get a couple of days of decent snow cover say, I won't care to much if it gets mild next week. It'll be great of course if we get a full day of lying snow on Sunday as that's my next day off work and though I still want it to snow on Saturday, unfortunately I'm working till 8pm so will hardly be able to enjoy it. Still signs of it turning colder again later in the month and into March for what it's worth and personally I'm in no rush for Spring to arrive. I'd take a repeat of March 2013 for sure as that was in my opinion the best ''Winter'' month here for years here in my opinion, even rivaling December 2010. Not that I'm expecting such of course.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

nmmuk-16-72-0_qrf6.pngnmmuk-1-72-0_fyy1.png   Just for now :D

All a bit to far east and light looking anyway to benefit here. Still plenty of time for changes of course, as 3 days is a long time when it comes to potential snow.

Posted
Just now, Walsall Wood Snow said:

All a bit to far east and light looking anyway to benefit here. Still plenty of time for changes of course, as 3 days is a long time when it comes to potential snow.

Pushing further west through the day though. Just hope it stays the right side of marginal. There will be some slightly less cold air in the mix.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MattStoke said:

Pushing further west through the day though. Just hope it stays the right side of marginal. There will be some slightly less cold air in the mix.

We can but hope. Confidence still low though, especially with as you say less cold air in the mix. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

FAX looks better though, no 'low', flow looks cleaner than earlier FAX posted in Wales thread, should stop cold air being mixed out

fax60s.gif

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted

WWS...you said it 3 days is a long time :hi:

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dancerwithwings said:

WWS...you said it 3 days is a long time :hi:

Indeed. Just trying to keep my feet to the ground in case it all goes wrong. Even if those charts looked much better it would still be wise to for now. As someone said for the cold snap we had in January, hope for the best but prepare for the worse.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

I actually believe that we may get some snow starting tonight right through until Sunday! Yes it's only showers and yes probably light but if they arrive at night we may get a covering out of it especially the higher up you are. That's my take anyway

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I really don't know about the coming days...the METO have no snow for me in the forecast and warnings so I'm taking that as a positive as when it's forecast it never arrives. Reverse thinking!! Still be disappointed either way. It's the just life of being a snow junkie!!  I would settle for a cm but if I get that I want an inch and then a foot!!! Good luck to us all let's hope the weather surprises us!! 

Posted

Already got a tiny sprinkling of snow grains as temps keep dropping at 0.3c.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Also snow snizZ in Shirley 10 mins ago :)

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Snizzel here this morning, Temp currently 1c.

Posted

Saturday's more widespread snow risk is now coming into range of the high resolution models.

Looking marginal, with those near to the North Sea coast more likely to see sleet or rain. Higher ground and areas further west having a greater chance of snow. It is in the form of showers though, so any accumulations will be patchy.

IMG_3571.PNG

IMG_3572.PNG

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Saturday's more widespread snow risk is now coming into range of the high resolution models.

Looking marginal, with those near to the North Sea coast more likely to see sleet or rain. Higher ground and areas further west having a greater chance of snow. It is in the form of showers though, so any accumulations will be patchy.

IMG_3571.PNG

IMG_3572.PNG

Yep  however  cherry picked chart i know  but the Aperge has us under a streamer for approx 12 hours  here is a snap shot  and also shows how marginal these snow showers are 

arpegeuk-42-49-0.png

• Like 1

Posted

Matthew Hugo @MattHugo81

Upper trough/vorticity heading W Fri into Sat could enhance snow risk for central and eastern areas as flow becomes more E or NE'ly.

11:32 AM - 9 Feb 2017

And to illustrate the potential here is a tweet fro Matt

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Not the most optimistic tweets from Ian Fergusson.

IMG_3574.PNG

IMG_3575.PNG

Yep will be marginal come Saturday  when the heavy precipitation is due to come through   elevation sounds the key.